• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's about that time again.
    If you know what's good for you, you'll pull your hose now, while you're thinking about it...

Every year I get a call (or 6) about a frozen spigot that has burst, and now "there's water EVERYWHERE!".
    If you leave a garden hose hooked up to the spigot, there is a very good chance that it could freeze and burst the lines.
    Weather forecast has us down in the 20's overnight in just a couple of days.

So, as a P.S.A., I'm here to tell you,
    "Go pull your hose..."

Reactions: Leo

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If I pull mine, it will leak

I was told to shut off water from inside and then leave the spigot open. Is that good advice, or should I just pull it? I have one hose that is very tricky to attach without leaking, and I hate to mess with it if I don't have to.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm doing this tomorrow. New construction home with no grassy back yard says too wet to get the one in the back of the house today.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was told to shut off water from inside and then leave the spigot open. Is that good advice, or should I just pull it? I have one hose that is very tricky to attach without leaking, and I hate to mess with it if I don't have to.

That would suffice, but don't leave the hose hanging and coiled.
    The idea is that you don't want water standing in the spigot during freezing weather.
    If you turn it off on the inside, leaving the spigot open, then the hose should drain enough to prevent freezing that would burst the lines.

If your hose leaks when you disconnect it, I would guess you need a new rubber gasket in the end of the hose.
    They're like $.50@ at Ace hardware.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That would suffice, but don't leave the hose hanging and coiled.
    The idea is that you don't want water standing in the spigot during freezing weather.
    If you turn it off on the inside, leaving the spigot open, then the hose should drain enough to prevent freezing that would burst the lines.

If your hose leaks when you disconnect it, I would guess you need a new rubber gasket in the end of the hose.
    They're like $.50@ at Ace hardware.
    It's not the gasket; I've tried new ones. I just have to tighten it with a wrench to get it to not leak, and I'm afraid of overtightening and breaking the spigot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I pulled my hoses off the reels and let them drain downhill. I wrapped my spickets in insulation and wrapped that with old towel rags. I tied heavy duty trash bags over that mess. Its my normal routine for the past few years and so far it's been adequate.
    Again, thanks for the reminder.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had to fix two leaky spigots in the last few years. Annoying, as there is no shut-off for the hose bibs. I need to shut off the well pump and drain the pressure tank. I think an upcoming project will be to install a shutoff valve for the hose circuit, and then install frost-free hose bibs. I'd like a new one for the driveway as well.

Handy for the "pull your hose" topic, as I could then pull the hose, drain the line, and still even have the protection of a frost-free spigot if we freeze before I get to it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's not the gasket; I've tried new ones. I just have to tighten it with a wrench to get it to not leak, and I'm afraid of overtightening and breaking the spigot.

Yep, and with me not working, it's at the bottom of the priority list if I can get by.

For a cheap "fix" you could also pick up a male and a female replacement hose ends, cut the hose a bi away from the spigot and install the ends. You can find the ends for a buck or buck and a half apiece.

Top Bottom