• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Yesterday I had to replace the battery in my '02 Avalanche. After doing so when I started the engine I noticed that my heater controls were only allowing air to come out of the dashboard vents, therefore no air for defrost, floor etc. Turning the directional controller knob has no effect on air flow. This vehicle has the auto temp control as well but in this mode or manual mode there is no difference. Is this the result of disconnecting/reconnecting battery or just a coinsidence and does anyone have thoughts on fixing.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Being an 02 the first thing I would do is try and reteach the computer. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Unhook the negative wire for about 30 minutes. Leave positive on. Rehook the cable start engine and let it idle for about 15 minutes. This sometimes can help the vehicle reset its parameters. May or may not help

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    There usually is a way to reset the HVAC system on a vehicle, don't know what it is for an Avalanche. For my Solstice it was turn the fan control to high, back to zero, back to high, back to zero, and back to high. The system will then flash 3 times and reset.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Uh, of the two suggestions so far, I would suggest:

a) re-teach the computer, as described above. If that doesn't work, then b), Tannerite.

I've had the same issue with our '03 Tahoe, and resolved it with boogieman's procedure. Those vehicles have a series of electric motors that control the various flow direction doors in the HVAC box and one that mixes the air for temperature. If you have to replace any of them, it is a lengthy but not hard process to remove the dash to get to some of them, but given that this happened after a battery replacement, I suspect the computer controlling the HVAC is "confused."

Good luck.

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    Start truck and let it idle for about 10 minutes while the flapper controls reset. You should be able to hear them turning. If you have dual temperature climate control you should be able to hear both sides turning. This worked on my 04 Suburban.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I thought that was beer. :dunno:

Beer is for making your wife look pretty.

makeup2.png

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Sometime today I will try some of the suggestions. Thanks for all who replied in a serious manner :): For the rest of you I will try the tannerite although I'm still about 12,000 miles short of achieving my goal of 300,000 miles on said vehicle.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    There's a procedure, you can find it on the GM truck forums. You should write what works for you down in your owner's manual, because you will need to do it occasionally.

I have that Chevy "Dual Control " crap in my '04. Like you really need two "zones" inside a passenger compartment on a truck. It kept blowing hot air, on the passenger side, when it was set to A/C.
    After countless on-board computer resets, I got a 8$ ball valve from Home Depot, and put it on one of my my heater core hoses. No more hot air with the A/C on ...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometime today I will try some of the suggestions. Thanks for all who replied in a serious manner :): For the rest of you I will try the tannerite although I'm still about 12,000 miles short of achieving my goal of 300,000 miles on said vehicle.

My 04 is still in the mid 140K mileage range. 300K gives me hope.....:):

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Still a work in progress. I tried the battery, fuse disconnect with no change. Pulled the blend control actuator last night and will be picking up a new one today. Keeping fingers crossed.

My 04 is still in the mid 140K mileage range. 300K gives me hope.....:):

Here's hoping that works for you. Unfortunately, the one actuator you can actually easily get to, the one on the bottom, controls the temperature blend. If that doesn't work, you might have to take out the dash. But, again, here's hoping.

My '03 Tahoe has 192,000 miles on it, and it is still going strong, even with two years of teenager boy driving. I'm hoping to make it to 300,000!

Top Bottom