• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    These are always fun.

I order a sail in early April and pay for it. It gets made and shipped in June.

today I got a call from the company saying they are auditing their orders and want to know if my sail got the window and the numbers on it. I say I think so but not sure on the numbers. They said I wasn’t billed for that feature and wanted to confirm I got it and confirm credit card number so they can charge me the $75 dollars they forgot to.

I paid seven months ago. I paid what they charged me for what I said I wanted. I did not know they didn’t charge me for the two extras. Should I cough up the $75?

edit: I did find an email about the numbers, was a $28 add on they wanted to charge me and wanted my approval to bill CC. The window was a feature I requested on initial request.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would probably pay the $28 and sleep easy tonight. Everyone makes mistakes and if they indeed delivered what you ordered, make it right. You may need another sail from them.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    +1 to the above, I would make it right. I know not everyone else would do it, nor would all companies be fair in return, but I can only control me and how I behave.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Personally, I would pay it.

One of the things I inherited from my father was an exaggerated sense of honesty. There were times he was taken advantage of in small ways that irritated me. He always said it is better to be that way than cheat someone. Now that I am an adult he was right.

I bought some small items from Amazon a month ago, les than $20. Couple days after it arrived another package came with another order in it. Tried to contact the shipper without luck because it bothered me.

Don

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Although I agree with the others and paying what you really owe, I would be very cautious in that this could be a scam. I assume this is from a smaller company that doesn't necessarily have an IT Security staff. It is possible that the entire order database was downloaded and scammers are contacting customers trying to have them hand out their credit card numbers. I certainly wouldn't give my card numbers out just because somebody phoned me, but rather return a call to the company through a published and verifiable phone number.
    --Rick

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. Here are my thoughts.

If I give you a price to install a new system in your home and we agree on that price I am bound to do the work ate "That Price" regardless.

If I forget or fail to do something extra we agreed on I am bound by that agreement (all of mine are handshakes) to do whatever is involved to make that happen regardless. That is how I see this.
    Once the price is set......do the work.

Not to seem dis-honest. Anything but. I have had this experience more than once when being "Too" busy and missing things when I get out a price. But I stood good for my word.

JMHO.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    As a printer, I'd feel pretty silly trying to collect money 7 months later for, say, the folding we forgot to bill you; or the consecutive numbering on your form, or additional edits we did, etc ... It's just not done, by professionals. And why would they have to ask you if the add-ons were actually performed? Is it not on there work order? As a business, we use these types of situations as teaching moments for all employees, so we don't make the same mistake again.

Would I pay it? I don't know. Probably ... but it's just not professional.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a printer, I'd feel pretty silly trying to collect money 7 months later for, say, the folding we forgot to bill you; or the consecutive numbering on your form, or additional edits we did, etc ... It's just not done, by professionals. And why would they have to ask you if the add-ons were actually performed? Is it not on there work order? As a business, we use these types of situations as teaching moments for all employees, so we don't make the same mistake again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Although I agree with the others and paying what you really owe, I would be very cautious in that this could be a scam. I assume this is from a smaller company that doesn't necessarily have an IT Security staff. It is possible that the entire order database was downloaded and scammers are contacting customers trying to have them hand out their credit card numbers. I certainly wouldn't give my card numbers out just because somebody phoned me, but rather return a call to the company through a published and verifiable phone number.
    --Rick

And this is a very good point. Maybe a postal money order, instead of a cc, if you decide to pay.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is odd that it took them so long. But, sometimes folks only audit orders a couple of times a year. Additionally, it doesn't sound like you even knew what you received? Since there is a bit a shared responsibility here, not enough $$$ to quibble about, and you really DID get what you wanted (but didn't really order and pay for), I'd just make it right and move on.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I agree it is not professional, but $28 is not much to quibble over. I would go by their demeanor over the phone and if you plan to do future business with them. If they did a great job and were apologetic about asking for the 'extra' money and I would probably use them again in the future I would pay. I would also recommend a billing company to them too! :-)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think I would ask them how many refunds they've given out after this audit. That would likely weigh heavily on my decision.

I kind of fall in line with the others though that you don't go asking someone for money on an order that was completed 7 months ago. It could also very well fall into the scam bucket.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

If I give you a price to install a new system in your home and we agree on that price I am bound to do the work ate "That Price" regardless.

If I forget or fail to do something extra we agreed on I am bound by that agreement (all of mine are handshakes) to do whatever is involved to make that happen regardless. That is how I see this.

Not to seem dis-honest. Anything but. I have had this experience more than once when being "Too" busy and missing things when I get out a price. But I stood good for my word.

JMHO.
    I agree with CM.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    This reminded me of a story from the 70s. A big dept store in NY sold $11,000 in merchandise to a customer who lived in Saudi Arabia. The store couldn't quite make out the info on the receipt, so didn't know who to bill. Someone got the idea of sending the bill to every Saudi customer they had -- 7 of them -- the bill would be paid by whoever owed it, and they could apologize to the other six for the billing error. All 7 paid.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

JMHO.

I agree in general, but I am curious. Does this apply if you overestimate? Say you goofed $500.00 in your favor on a new system install. The same logic would have you complete the work and charge the full amount.

Like most here, I try to err on the good side. At an auction last weekend I went to check out and they had not included one lot of ammo I bought. The total was $160 light. I told them so and they straightened it out. I think it's karmic. Call out when the error is in your favor and when not, it will be resolved fairly as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree in general, but I am curious. Does this apply if you overestimate? Say you goofed $500.00 in your favor on a new system install. The same logic would have you complete the work and charge the full amount.

Like most here, I try to err on the good side. At an auction last weekend I went to check out and they had not included one lot of ammo I bought. The total was $160 light. I told them so and they straightened it out. I think it's karmic. Call out when the error is in your favor and when not, it will be resolved fairly as well.

That happened to me when I bought some .308 ammo from CM. :): Got home and had quite a bit more ammo than he thought he was selling me, so I called him and made good. :yesway:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Oh yeah, I've done that before and on the next order they will complain that the bill is higher than last time.

"Wait, it was $125 last year and it's $145 now why so high?"
    "Well, I forgot to charge for the numbering on the last order so you got that for free."
    "Can you still do it for $125?"
    :l
    :facepalm:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I never over estimate. If you compare my pricing with others I am always low bid with the same work (or better).

If I agree in a not exceed or under then yes but a bid/pricing is just that. If both party's agree then it is a done deal.

There have been some very well stated opinions on this. Can not argue with any of them.

Top Bottom