• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have an friend of mine that had a bit of a drinking problem and ended up with back to back OWI's.
    He was licensed to carry in Indiana and a lifetime permit, but oddly nothing was mentioned about revocation although the felony is self explanatory.

After a couple of years of probation, etc.., he is now clean and will be free and clear by January 2020.

Since his felony will be lifted effective January, he will now have to contact ISP to kindly ask if he may be granted a new LTCH again.

Does anyone know how best to approach this by chance ? I figured I would get some good feedback from such a knowledgeable group.

Thank you

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah...he's going to want an experienced firearms attorney for this. Guy Relford is a good choice, but he's not the only one. It is very helpful to have someone who has seen it all before, knows the questions that will be asked and knows how to phrase the answers.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I agree that an attorney would be the best direction. Maybe Guy is reading this thread and could advise what the best step forward would be.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Did anyone mention calling Guy?

two different issues here: felony going away, expungement or terms of probation? Second issue is history of alcohol abuse. I can’t remember the specific number, seems like two DUIs in five years would require him to go past the five-year mark to reapply. Oh and Call Guy Relford

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did anyone mention calling Guy?

two different issues here: felony going away, expungement or terms of probation? Second issue is history of alcohol abuse. I can’t remember the specific number, seems like two DUIs in five years would require him to go past the five-year mark to reapply. Oh and Call Guy Relford

Guy Relford is your guy in this.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    From what OP described there is a lot going on here that will have to be addressed before the individual will be able to get his LTCH. The felony conviction, by itself, makes him not a "proper person," regardless of whether he has completed his sentence and successfully completed his probation. IC 35-47-1-7 has the definition of "proper person," and it seems likely that he will also have to address "having a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser." Expungement may be an answer, but he may have to wait eight years if the most serious charge was a Class D or Level 6 felony, unless the prosecutor consents to a shorter period. (This is not legal advice, but merely a quick review of a couple of Indiana Code provisions that may or may not apply in these situations.)

So, the short answer: He needs to consult an attorney knowledgeable in the firearms licensing process, who can review his situation and develop a plan to move forward.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hope your friend is making better choices now and has his head screwed on straight. I don't have any pitty for people who drink and drive.
    That being said, if he has his head back then I hope he gets his rights back too. I wouldn't plY games with my rights if I were him. As mentioned above, call Guy Relford.

Top Bottom