• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For a winter workshop we're limited to heating the two car garage with electric right now.
    Anybody have a really good electric heater to recommend?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For a winter workshop we're limited to heating the two car garage with electric right now.
    Anybody have a really good electric heater to recommend?

Man no matter what you do this will be spendy as in cost to operate. . I can not recommend a brand as we usually remove these and replace with natural gas or propane.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You can only get like 1500w out of any electric heater on 110v. At 1500w using resistive heating, you will get the same maximum heat no matter what heater you get. Some have better thermostats, or other features, but the heat you get is the heat you get.

At my old house, I tried a couple of electric heaters, but I found my solution with Kerosene. Natural gas was not an option and I ran the numbers and Kerosene was slightly less expensive and more convenient than propane, but in the right situation, that can work too. I really liked the quiet heat of radiant kerosene.

I have a 10,000 btu Kero Sun which worked for my 1 car garage and I keep around for emergency heat. I would get a 22,000 btu for a 2 car.

My new house has a 30,000 btu gas heater in the garage, so I’m good.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. How big Sq. foot, is your shop. Ceiling height. Insulated and finished or bare walls.

I have in the past gave my buddys the electric heat air handlers we remove when upgrading heat pump systems. Forced air 15KW units. You need some serious power source.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK. How big Sq. foot, is your shop. Ceiling height. Insulated and finished or bare walls.

I have in the past gave my buddys the electric heat air handlers we remove when upgrading heat pump systems. Forced air 15KW units. You need some serious power source.

Extra heat from friction when the dial in the meter turns 800 rpm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Extra heat from friction when the dial in the meter turns 800 rpm.

Yes sir. 15KW requires a 60A and a 30A breaker to operate. Thing is you can disable a stage and have forced air heat. Our own Shadow has one in his shop. It kicks tail but the meter wants to achieve geo synchronous orbit on a cold day.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    In my old house we had a on demand water heater that had 4 elements for a total of 28Kw. I swear you could hear the meter spinning.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use a salamander. I run it for about 20-30 minutes and my uninsulated garage stays warm for about an hour.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I would also try for a kerosene heater if at all possible. Radiant is nice and quiet, but a salamander becomes white noise after a few uses. Either way will be better than electric.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We keep the shop at 50* until I need to use it then bump it up to 60* for warm up for 30 minutes before I start. Then I set it for comfort.
    Gas heat.

Our shop is full of tools and equipment. All of that has to be warmed up. Takes a bit to do that.

All of these suggestions have merit depending on what your use will be.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    That is something I will miss when I get all my Illinois property sold. I have a lot with a 24x24 wood shop I enjoy as a hobby. Heat is from a "Warm Morning" coal stove my grandfather bought in the 1950"s. Burns wood just fine and that way I never make a mistake, at least not in the winter. Jim.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I only heat my garage when I need to do something out there so that a few times a week for a few hours each time. I use to use karesane forced air heater to heat my garage when working out there. My wife got very tired of me smiling like karsene when I came into the house so I switched over to propane forced air heat. I picked up a MR. Heater 60,000 BTU Forced Air Heater. It works will in my uninsulated garage that’s just under 500 square feet with a open ceiling. Once the temps start dropping down into the teens outside it does have a hard time holding 60 degrees in the garage. I do keep quite a few gas grill propane tanks on hand. My local propane refiller only charges my 100 pound fill if I bring in 5 empty tanks at once. That’s just under $14 for a refill.

uEAQbJD.jpg

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a 25" deep by 16" wide shop off the side of my 2 car garage. For years I have used a 1500 watt ceramic heater that I get from Home Depot. Mostly any brand will keep this space at 70 degrees all winter long. I have some wood stored that I like to keep at a stable temp. Home Depot has a protection plan for only a few $$. My experience is these heaters last a year or 2. With the protection plan, I bring in the old one and pick out a new one... and the cycle repeats. I've had 4 heaters so far and have only paid for one, and the protection plan each time.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Time for the "How do you heat your garage" thread.....
    Electric (with thermostat) for baseline heat, and a propane sunflower heater to warm it up from there.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I have a 25" deep by 16" wide shop off the side of my 2 car garage. For years I have used a 1500 watt ceramic heater that I get from Home Depot. Mostly any brand will keep this space at 70 degrees all winter long.

I can't imagine this being the case based on my experience. It might keep space warm but I can't imagine it bringing it up to temperature. I use something like this in a bathroom to knock off the chill (66 temp)up to 70-71 & it works fine but the space is probably 120sf not
    400sf like yours.
    Either way I have to wonder how much this costs you in increased electric. They are all based on 1500 watts but are some more efficiant than others, like the EdenPure, ceramic etc. What I am looking for is a cost/hr to run a unit on 750 or 1500 watts.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I can't imagine this being the case based on my experience. It might keep space warm but I can't imagine it bringing it up to temperature. I use something like this in a bathroom to knock off the chill (66 temp)up to 70-71 & it works fine but the space is probably 120sf not
    400sf like yours.
    Either way I have to wonder how much this costs you in increased electric. They are all based on 1500 watts but are some more efficiant than others, like the EdenPure, ceramic etc. What I am looking for is a cost/hr to run a unit on 750 or 1500 watts.

I don't know what to tell ya...I've been doing it for years. Yea the temp will decrease when it is -20 outside.. but not by much. I'm not so concerned with the cost to run. The wood slabs like to stay comfortable :cool:

Top Bottom