Politeness and Manners? Lost on Young People?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Not sure how to title this, but I'm saddened by the lack of common manners and courtesy of some young people.

My wife and I were in Bloomington a couple of weeks ago. On a rainy Saturday morning we went to a nice restaurant on Kirkwood Avenue down near the college to have a nice late breakfast.

I dropped my wife off at the door while I drove a block away to park the truck. My wife has been having some hip issues and that morning she was moving slow. I came back to the packed restaurant and stood inside, shoulder to shoulder. Wife sez it should be about a 15 minute wait.... We stand for a few minutes and I can tell she really needs to sit down. (She's not heavy or anything-actually in great shape for a 55 year old- just has this funky hip thing going.)

She and I both notice a couple getting up from a bench and as we moved to take their spot a skinny college kid slides past us and plops down on the seat. I kind of motion like "hey, we were going to sit there...at least my wife!" Kid just raises his eyebrows and smirks. I moved towards him..... wife sez, "it's ok...I can stand...don't make a scene"

I made eye contact with the kid a couple of times and shook my head and frowned at him. I was just amazed. I thought he would realize here were 2 gray-headed folks that might like to sit. Nope, didn't happen. So, here I am posting on this forum.

Yea, it bugged me that the 20-something slid past us like we were just too slow to get the seat. Yea, it bugged me that I didn't go over and whisper in his ear, in my best Clint Eastwood voice, "get the f..k up!". But I didn't. Wifey sez, "I know...you wanted to go put your big bear paw hands on his scrawny neck".

Maybe being in Bloomington had something to do with it. College town? I have sons a little older than this kid and I expect they would have given up the seat. At least that is what we taught them!

Anyway, stuff like this happens from time to time... I think maybe the next time a "can of whup-ass" is gonna come out!

Pappy

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Not all young people. Depends how they’re raised. Also you said your wife is in pretty good shape and 50, he probably didn’t realize she needed to sit... you could politely explain the situation and maybe he would have happily given his spot to her. Another thing to consider is maybe he was recently injured? Never know others situations so I try not to base an opinion off one instance alone. And to be fair, I’ve seen a lot of older people that are pretty rude and use the age as an excuse to do so. I’ll gladly give my seat to an elderly couple if we are sitting in a waiting room, but don’t cut me in line at a gas station because you’re in a hurry and think you’re entitled to because you’re older than I am. I’ve had this happen on more than one occasion.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So sad, manners have been on the decline for decades. The punk likely has never been taught any manners in his life. His granny was warehoused in a nursing home and he has never had to help a family member with pain or mobility issues. I understand the urge to throttle him, but really wish you could throttle whoever raised him without manners...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think it's society in general. The other day, I got gas at Kroger. In front of me was the air pump. I couldn't get out because someone was waiting to fill her tires. Instead of waiting somewhere out of the way, she was parked behind the person using the air, not caring about the fact that she was blocking a whole lane. When I motioned for her to get the **** out of the way, she looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    A friend of mine (Mark) and I just had a reverse experience. We were carrying some files when a folder Mark had slipped out of his hand and all the papers spilled. We both started to bend over and pick them up. Of course, Mark is 70 and I am 67. Before we could get our stiff, arthritic bodies down, this sweet young lady said, "Let me get that for you." and she proceeded to pick up the papers and hand them back to Mark. She then opened the door for us and said, "Here, go ahead."

After accepting her generosity Mark just looked at me and said, "Damn, we are old!"

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    A friend of mine (Mark) and I just had a reverse experience. We were carrying some files when a folder Mark had slipped out of his hand and all the papers spilled. We both started to bend over and pick them up. Of course, Mark is 70 and I am 67. Before we could get our stiff, arthritic bodies down, this sweet young lady said, "Let me get that for you." and she proceeded to pick up the papers and hand them back to Mark. She then opened the door for us and said, "Here, go ahead."

After accepting her generosity Mark just looked at me and said, "Damn, we are old!"

That’s awesome. And a perfect example, it’s all about how they are raised. There’s jerks of all ages

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    Not all young people. Depends how they’re raised. Also you said your wife is in pretty good shape and 50, he probably didn’t realize she needed to sit... you could politely explain the situation and maybe he would have happily given his spot to her. Another thing to consider is maybe he was recently injured? Never know others situations so I try not to base an opinion off one instance alone. And to be fair, I’ve seen a lot of older people that are pretty rude and use the age as an excuse to do so. I’ll gladly give my seat to an elderly couple if we are sitting in a waiting room, but don’t cut me in line at a gas station because you’re in a hurry and think you’re entitled to because you’re older than I am. I’ve had this happen on more than one occasion.

Agreed with all the above.

It's possible he was being rude but it's also possible that he has some not-so obvious medical issues as well and maybe just really needed to sit :dunno:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It's not about the youth of today. There have always been jerks, always been nice people, always been people that are just not aware of what is going on around them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I notice a lot of TV and movies don't have as much politeness in them as they should have. Same thing in a lot of books. Plenty of opportunities where someone helps someone else and it's rare to hear a thank you uttered. I think that attitude in media rubs off on people, especially those who weren't raised any better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed with all the above.

It's possible he was being rude but it's also possible that he has some not-so obvious medical issues as well and maybe just really needed to sit :dunno:

I will lay odds he knew. Also it is a rush to self serve with that faction of the youth. See it all the time.
    I also see many well mannered and helpful. It is sad that the little douche bags off set the ones that are kind and well mannered.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I notice a lot of TV and movies don't have as much politeness in them as they should have. Same thing in a lot of books. Plenty of opportunities where someone helps someone else and it's rare to hear a thank you uttered. I think that attitude in media rubs off on people, especially those who weren't raised any better.

Look at the Utube offerings kids are watching today. :n00b:. Also a lot of Nicalodian and Disney crap.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    We try our best to raise my kids to be courteous and respectful, they are only 6 and 9. Quite often I have to remind them to say please and thank you. However on a few occasions I have caught my son open or holding a door open for someone without being asked to. Hopefully this keeps sinking in on him, lord knows we have other struggles with him, but this shows that he at least listens to somethings.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But honestly, I blame parents too. Kids don't get smacked in the mouth near as much as they should anymore.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You don't see that as a problem Kut? Cause I certainly do.

I've seen it more times than you an imagine. Entitled kids with protective "it's somebody else's fault" parents. I've seen parents that had to bury their kids because of that attitude. Hence why my kids won't ever be that way.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    " Good manners are always in style" My mother used to say. Like many things they need to be taught and seen as kids. In the end good manners are a choice.

Top Bottom