• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Daughter (lives below Nashville, TN in Franklin) invited us to go with them on an Italian cruise in April.
    We gleefully accepted.
    Went on a vacation with them in Cancun 3 years ago and it was great: one of those all-inclusive types.

Fly to JFK,
    Meet Daughter & husband,
    Spend night in New York,
    Fly to Barcelona (8 hr. flight),
    Spend night in Barcelona,
    Cruise 10 days,
    Fly back to New York,
    Spend night in New York,
    Fly back to Indy.

Ports:
    Barcelona Spain
    Florence, Italy
    Rome, Italy
    Naples, Italy
    Nice, France
    Portofino, Italy

My daughter always finds these value vacation spots, mostly involving beaches and/or near water somewhere every year.
    All in all when the wife mentioned it to me: a 10 day cruise with flying to New York and then to Barcelona, Spain & back again, I assumed it would cost literally 2 or 3 times more than it does.
    We went on our 8 day cruise around the Caribbean a couple of decades ago and I assumed this would cost alot more, but seemed like a bargain.
    We had dear friends since '85 go to Italy for 22 days last Fall & it was 4 times more expensive than this is, but, of course, theirs was much more comprehensive.
    That's me: the Value King! :rockwoot:
    On my wife's bucket list is a trip to Italy.
    I told her if a quick cruise tour didn't do it for her I'd take her back for an inland visit, but I really wanted to go with the daughter & her husband. :laugh:
    I don't think I'll be able (or willing) to follow my low, medium & high carb days on the cruise! :rofl:
    I want some of those pastries I see watching Rick Steves PBS tour shows. :)

Any heads-ups, let me know. The wife & I don't get out much, but did get our Passports awhile back for Cancun, I think.
    We are terribly excited about this opportunity.
    This is the first "Retirement" dedicated fun we will have done.
    I'd like to do at least 1 trip per year while we have the health.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    "did get our passports awhile back" Make sure they haven't expired and get some of those little wallet sized versions to keep on you at all times you're off the boat.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    "did get our passports awhile back" Make sure they haven't expired and get some of those little wallet sized versions to keep on you at all times you're off the boat.

And scan a copy of your passport and then email it to yourself. That way you can access a copy of it nearly anywhere if the hard copy is lost or stolen.
    Have a good time. Been a minute since i have been in Italy, but used to spend a month in Europe every summer for nearly a decade. Still want to get back to Prague in the winter. Something about that city that I want to see in snow, but i am weird.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You should start right now on working to get into the best possible physical condition that you can. No matter how much you are on the ship, or traveling in a bus, you will still do a lot of walking and standing in line.

It is not yet a requirement, but beginning in 2021 US travelers will need to get an electronic waiver. It's basically a background check.
    https://www.etias.us/

I highly recommend getting a money belt to keep passports, credit cards, etc. Pick pockets are a major problem in the high tourist areas.

Have a working knowledge of what the currency conversion rates are, if you are ignorant you can get taken advantage of.

How much time will you have in Rome? What kind of things interest you? There is an awful lot to see, and if you don't have several days you will need to narrow it down ahead of time. You could spend an entire day just wandering around aimlessly and poking your head into all of the churches you come across, they are amazing.

The other cities will be a bit easier to see the highlights in just a day.

It sounds like a lot of fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

They are still active (10 yrs., I think).
    Didn't know about the "wallet" sized versions, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
    I'll have to inquire as to where to get those?

And scan a copy of your passport and then email it to yourself. That way you can access a copy of it nearly anywhere if the hard copy is lost or stolen.
    Have a good time. Been a minute since i have been in Italy, but used to spend a month in Europe every summer for nearly a decade. Still want to get back to Prague in the winter. Something about that city that I want to see in snow, but i am weird.

Very practical and common sense! Will do!
    "A month in Europe every year for a decade:" Hard to get sympathy for that lifestyle. :laugh:
    I hope it was in your line of work, and another's dime. :)

You should start right now on working to get into the best possible physical condition that you can. No matter how much you are on the ship, or traveling in a bus, you will still do a lot of walking and standing in line.

That is a bit of a problem since I can't stand very long, and I can't walk for 5 minutes w/o having to stop and stretch out my back (arthritis).
    I can barely mow the grass for :20, but holding the handles lets me get by with it.
    I'm not in pain, but the back just gets so tight that I can't move since it feels restricted.
    I plan to take my cane, but I probably will regret not taking my walker that I bought for hip replacement surgery.
    Oh no! I just realized I'd better get a note from my Dr. since I discovered my hip set off the alarm when I went to a Juvenile "lock up" to give a talk last Fall.

Beginning in 2021 US travelers will need to get an electronic waiver. It's basically a background check.
    https://www.etias.us/

And, there is something about your Driver's License where you are supposed to get some kind of "endorsement that starts in Oct. 2020"
    REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration
    https://www.tsa.gov › real-id
    Beginning October 1, 2020, every traveler must present a REAL ID-compliant driver's license, state-issued enhanced driver's license, or other acceptable forms of identification, such as a valid passport or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S. Review the complete list of acceptable identification.

I highly recommend getting a money belt to keep passports, credit cards, etc. Pick pockets are a major problem in the high tourist areas.

I have read a biography about a blind man who got his money belt stolen when traveling: unbelievable!
    I talked to my wife about that just last week.
    I'll have to learn how much cash I'll need, I'm hoping to find out if a credit card will handle 99% of things.

Have a working knowledge of what the currency conversion rates are, if you are ignorant you can get taken advantage of.

Understood: research will begin!
    I told my wife last night we'd have to brush up on our Spanish and French before we leave.
    I said as long as we can order bread (forbidden food on my carb-cycling diet :lmfao:), I'll be fine.

How much time will you have in Rome? What kind of things interest you? There is an awful lot to see, and if you don't have several days you will need to narrow it down ahead of time. You could spend an entire day just wandering around aimlessly and poking your head into all of the churches you come across, they are amazing.

Just 1 day in each city, cruise at night to get to the next one, which is why I told my wife if a "survey" or just "skimming" Italy wasn't enough for her, I'd take her back the next month. :rofl:
    Museums, Old houses, castles, churches, all would be wonderful.
    We visit some old house in every city we visit.
    We even had a good time going out to Greenfield (I think) and visiting James Whitcomb Riley's (black poet) home (his parent's actually), and he has a home here in Indy as well.
    When we were last in Phoenix, we visited the home of the man who invented Wrigleys Chewing Gum: my idea of a good time.

The other cities will be a bit easier to see the highlights in just a day.
    It sounds like a lot of fun!

My wife couldn't sleep last night.
    In my teaching days, I have been everywhere and seen everything (on film or DVD), so it will be intoxicating to be there in person.
    My idea of a good time is watching the travel channels, like Rick Steves on PBS. I record him to watch at my leisure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They are still active (10 yrs., I think).
    Didn't know about the "wallet" sized versions, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
    I'll have to inquire as to where to get those?

Very practical and common sense! Will do!
    "A month in Europe every year for a decade:" Hard to get sympathy for that lifestyle. :laugh:
    I hope it was in your line of work, and another's dime. :)

My wife couldn't sleep last night.
    In my teaching days, I have been everywhere and seen everything (on film or DVD), so it will be intoxicating to be there in person.
    My idea of a good time is watching the travel channels, like Rick Steves on PBS. I record him to watch at my leisure.

James Whitcomb Riley was black?? :scratch:

220px-James_Whitcomb_Riley%2C_1913.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Barcelona Spain
    Florence, Italy
    Rome, Italy
    Naples, Italy

I've been to those four of your list. I don't know how much time you'll have at each stop, or if you're having "free time" or guided tours, but each city is quite unique and has some incredible things to see and do.

We spent a week in Barcelona. The Sagrada Familia remains the most impressive man-made structure I've ever seen. Sant Pau hospital is also something to see and is within easy walking distance. There's some nice parks on the outskirts but you may want to get driven there if you aren't used to walking the hills.

Florence has a unique feel and the food isn't what we think of as "Italian". Plenty of historical and art related things to see and do, but don't skip the open air market. IIRC, the Davinci house was there, too.

Rome, get a Roma pass. It's a little swipe card that gives you a lot of discounts and lets you in a certain number of "major" and "minor" attractions. You can skip the line and just go to the special Roma Pass gate, swipe your card, and enter. Use one of your swipes at the Colosseum. The line for people with tickets would have taken hours, there were only 3 people ahead of us for Roma Pass and we were in within a couple minutes. Huge time saver.

Naples, we stayed with a buddy of mine for a full week. Be prepared to eat a lot of pizza, maybe broken up with seafood at the docks, then more pizza. Take the bus to Pompeii if you have time. If you want to climb the trail to Mt. Vesuvius wear good shoes. Then eat more pizza. Skip the street vendor "pizzata" stuff, get real pizzas. Do some research on what it takes to get a license to sell pizza in Naples and you'll see why. Underground Naples is a fun tour. I forget the name of the big marketplace that sells a bit of everything but focuses on wood carvings, but it's worth checking out.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    No, the trip(s) were on my dime. But, my dad was working in Germany, so I had a ride from and to the airport and of course would spend a few days with him. He also had 2 cars so I would take one of those. After that, I have some friends over there to stay with, sometimes hotels or B&B places. My dad and friends were great sources for places to stay that were good, and not so expensive. I have been in Normandy for D-day anniversary, Paris for Bastille Day, and have been to Le Mans for the race 3 times. My dad retired and came home, a lot of my friends came home because their contracts were no longer as appealing, or they went to Iraq or Afghan because that was the only way to make decent money. One day I will go back, but it was so easy before when I knew a bunch of people there. That and I do not want to have to worry about catching trains or renting some crappy little foreign car.

As far as credit cards, some places over there do not accept American cards. It is usually in remote areas where this is a problem, tourist areas not so much. I always brought cash, and usually did not have to worry about using plastic. AAA used to be a good source of info for this type stuff.

Somebody mentioned knowing the exchange rates. Also, the best place to exchange money is not on the ship. Maybe a little bit, but the best exchange rates will always be at a bank or post office. That is why when you exchange on a ship or at a hotel, they give you a receipt and you can only exchange back the amount that you originally did. They charge a fee.

Do not wear anything that marks you as an American. This is coming from a military family, and lots of friends, but everybody I knew advised against this unless you were in a large crowd of people you knew.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    First off, Have Fun!

I hear professional pickpockets are a real problem there. Do a little research how to protect yourself. Situational awareness, especially keeping your face out of your phone. Money belt. Backpacks/purses that cannot sliced open with a razor blade and solid shoulder straps.

Speaking of phones, figure out your cell and data plans so you don’t get any surprise bills. I believe there are temporary plans you can buy for international travel, not sure if they are country specific.

Separate credit card accounts for you and wife. That way if one loses a credit card or it is comprised the other card is still good. Also international numbers needed to cancel your credit cards if lost.

Keep in mind that the US Passport Card is only valid for Canada, Mexico, Caribbean(?) cruises in/out of US ports, boarding a domestic US flight through the TSA cattle chute. With that said these Passport Cards are great backup IDs that easily fit in a money belt or other secure location (not your wallet). Even when we fly domestically we use our drivers license and in a separate location carry our Passport Card in the event we lose our wallet.

Imagine walking into a US Embassy after losing your official passport. 1) “Hi, I’m Billy Bob from Indiana and lost my passport, have no ID, and need to get back to the US. 2) Hi, I’m Billy Bob and here is my Passport Card, an official ID issued by the US government, please help me so I don’t miss my flight in three hours. Which option do you think is faster and less hassle?

If you like this option do it soon. We renewed our cards this summer. Took about five weeks and required sending in our passports along with the application. Our postal worker included a posted note reminding them to return our original passports.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been to those four of your list. I don't know how much time you'll have at each stop, or if you're having "free time" or guided tours, but each city is quite unique and has some incredible things to see and do.

We spent a week in Barcelona. The Sagrada Familia remains the most impressive man-made structure I've ever seen. Sant Pau hospital is also something to see and is within easy walking distance. There's some nice parks on the outskirts but you may want to get driven there if you aren't used to walking the hills.

I had an exchange student for a summer 20 yrs. ago when my daughter was in H.S.
    I'd love to look her up, but we didn't exchange numbers. :laugh:
    Her family had a house overlooking the Mediterranean, so she came from a wealthy family.
    She got a good glimpse how the working class lived.
    I did drive her around in my '79 MG, though! :rofl:

Florence has a unique feel and the food isn't what we think of as "Italian". Plenty of historical and art related things to see and do, but don't skip the open air market. IIRC, the Davinci house was there, too.

My best friends who came back from Italy told of how the Pizza was nothing like ours, but very minimal, and she tried to make it like them.
    Had friends who just got back last week from Israel, and one of the first things I asked about was the food (go figure :dunno:): alot of seafood, and chicken (surprised), and not alot of lamb like I would have thought.

Rome, get a Roma pass. It's a little swipe card that gives you a lot of discounts and lets you in a certain number of "major" and "minor" attractions. You can skip the line and just go to the special Roma Pass gate, swipe your card, and enter. Use one of your swipes at the Colosseum. The line for people with tickets would have taken hours, there were only 3 people ahead of us for Roma Pass and we were in within a couple minutes. Huge time saver.

:wow: What a great tip: I'll make sure my daughter knows about this!

Naples, we stayed with a buddy of mine for a full week. Be prepared to eat a lot of pizza, maybe broken up with seafood at the docks, then more pizza. Take the bus to Pompeii if you have time. If you want to climb the trail to Mt. Vesuvius wear good shoes. Then eat more pizza. Skip the street vendor "pizzata" stuff, get real pizzas. Do some research on what it takes to get a license to sell pizza in Naples and you'll see why. Underground Naples is a fun tour. I forget the name of the big marketplace that sells a bit of everything but focuses on wood carvings, but it's worth checking out.

Pizza agrees with my philosophy of eating: BREAD! :thumbsup:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BBI did a good job of a Italian summery !

1. I normally use a CC for most things you will typically get a good exchange rate for your purchases.

2. I use a ATM and bank card for cash for a decent exchange rate.

3. Pickpockets are common I carry most things in my front pockets.

4. Avoid the kiosk in airports and hotels for exchanging money.

5. It’s hard to not look “American” we carry ourselves differently and communicate in a different manner than other people. We talk to the trash man in the same manner as a CEO and expect everyone to have a opinion and a good outlook on life.

6. Meals are different Breakfast usually just some pastries and toast with coffee. Lunch is later around 1 or 2 and a big meal. Supper is not a big meal like we eat. They eat slow and talk more than we do and will bring coffee at the end of the meal even if you didn’t ask for it.

Sounds like a great adventure !

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No, the trip(s) were on my dime. But, my dad was working in Germany, so I had a ride from and to the airport and of course would spend a few days with him. He also had 2 cars so I would take one of those. After that, I have some friends over there to stay with, sometimes hotels or B&B places. My dad and friends were great sources for places to stay that were good, and not so expensive. I have been in Normandy for D-day anniversary, Paris for Bastille Day, and have been to Le Mans for the race 3 times. My dad retired and came home, a lot of my friends came home because their contracts were no longer as appealing, or they went to Iraq or Afghan because that was the only way to make decent money. One day I will go back, but it was so easy before when I knew a bunch of people there. That and I do not want to have to worry about catching trains or renting some crappy little foreign car.

Wow! What a great background for me that would have been teaching Social Studies!
    3 times seeing the Le Mans: :rockwoot:

As far as credit cards, some places over there do not accept American cards. It is usually in remote areas where this is a problem, tourist areas not so much. I always brought cash, and usually did not have to worry about using plastic. AAA used to be a good source of info for this type stuff.

Good tip about the AAA.

Somebody mentioned knowing the exchange rates. Also, the best place to exchange money is not on the ship. Maybe a little bit, but the best exchange rates will always be at a bank or post office. That is why when you exchange on a ship or at a hotel, they give you a receipt and you can only exchange back the amount that you originally did. They charge a fee.

Great detail. :coffee:

Do not wear anything that marks you as an American. This is coming from a military family, and lots of friends, but everybody I knew advised against this unless you were in a large crowd of people you knew.

Thanks! I won't take my American flag Forth of July polo shirt. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just talked with the daughter about some of theinput I'm getting here.
    I almost upgraded the room for a balconey, but is was nearly double in price and the wife wouldn't let me do it.
    I thought is was much cheaper, but I forgot to double the price for 2 people. :ugh:
    My daughter said the bread & wine were plentiful & cheap! :cheers: :40oz:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My best friends who came back from Italy told of how the Pizza was nothing like ours, but very minimal, and she tried to make it like them.

That's true, but not what I meant about Florence. What we think of as Italian is apparently more southern Italy/Sicily type cooking. Florence is more meat, potato, and bean then it is pizza and pasta+red sauce. You get pizza in Naples, where it was invented. Florence is for rabbit cooked in red wine, big slabs of steak, etc.

My daughter said the bread & wine were plentiful & cheap! :cheers: :40oz:

True. We often just bought a fresh loaf of bread and a block of cheese for breakfast. We did the same in Cyprus. Meat is pricey, though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's true, but not what I meant about Florence. What we think of as Italian is apparently more southern Italy/Sicily type cooking. Florence is more meat, potato, and bean then it is pizza and pasta+red sauce. You get pizza in Naples, where it was invented. Florence is for rabbit cooked in red wine, big slabs of steak, etc.
    Can't wait!

True. We often just bought a fresh loaf of bread and a block of cheese for breakfast. We did the same in Cyprus. Meat is pricey, though.

My idea of a good time.
    I get plenty of meat, so no great attraction there anyway.
    I am really looking forward to some fun cheeses and breads that will make me unhappy with my American bread.
    Going to the German Bakery on Pendleton Exit off E465 is always a pleasure b/c they do have some decent breads/rolls.
    Sometimes I take a loaf home for toasting and buttering.
    I'd buy their rolls and eat them like donuts (my idea of eating healthy :dunno:).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First off, Have Fun!

I hear professional pickpockets are a real problem there. Do a little research how to protect yourself. Situational awareness, especially keeping your face out of your phone. Money belt. Backpacks/purses that cannot sliced open with a razor blade and solid shoulder straps.

I can't imagine being in Italy with my cell in my hand instead of looking around at the people and the different styles of architecture.
    I take your admonition about pickpockets very seriously.
    I will research such things. I already knew that hanging your credit cards and cash around your neck and inside your shirt is a basic step.

Speaking of phones, figure out your cell and data plans so you don’t get any surprise bills. I believe there are temporary plans you can buy for international travel, not sure if they are country specific.

Talked with my daughter about that today (we are hitchhiking on her family plan to save money), and she will find out from Sprint what needs to be done.
    I only want the option of talking w/daughter & husband while there on the cell, when I get lost. :lmfao:

Separate credit card accounts for you and wife. That way if one loses a credit card or it is comprised the other card is still good. Also international numbers needed to cancel your credit cards if lost.

WOW! That is a great approach. Someone already said to get a different card for traveling, but that is yet another safety level.

Keep in mind that the US Passport Card is only valid for Canada, Mexico, Caribbean(?) cruises in/out of US ports, boarding a domestic US flight through the TSA cattle chute. With that said these Passport Cards are great backup IDs that easily fit in a money belt or other secure location (not your wallet). Even when we fly domestically we use our drivers license and in a separate location carry our Passport Card in the event we lose our wallet.

Imagine walking into a US Embassy after losing your official passport. 1) “Hi, I’m Billy Bob from Indiana and lost my passport, have no ID, and need to get back to the US. 2) Hi, I’m Billy Bob and here is my Passport Card, an official ID issued by the US government, please help me so I don’t miss my flight in three hours. Which option do you think is faster and less hassle?

If you like this option do it soon. We renewed our cards this summer. Took about five weeks and required sending in our passports along with the application. Our postal worker included a posted note reminding them to return our original passports.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Top Bottom