• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    USAF F-35 cold wx survival kit prototype overachieves

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a29863015/f-35-survival-kit/

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/arc...velopers-during-way-below-zero-trial-1.607944

The survival kit space in the F-35 ejection seat is about 2/3 the size of the one in the F-16. The squadron in Alaska slated to get F-35s is working out a survival kit to keep a pilot alive (not necessarily happy) for 24 hours in -40 degree F air temperature. Four pilots (including the squadron commander, which is...er...cool...) tested deploying the kit and using it for six hours at -40F in a cold room at Univ of Alaska Fairbanks. The pilots recorded temps with digital thermometers as they went along.

Except that partway through the test the squadron commander asked for an old fashioned mercury thermometer to double check the electronic ones. He found out the actual temperature was below -65F.

But the gear kept them warm enough, if not comfy.

Brrr.

5307901-1574291486.jpg

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It’s unusual to see F-35 and overachieve in the same sentence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ammonia based process and storage freezers often run -50* and brother that is freaking cold. Rules state we do not work in them solo. Equipment even properly prepared has time limits in that environment.

Coldest I have seen is -65 in facility that made and tested the gas heaters for military vehicles set up for arctic conditions and that was freaking cold.

I was geared up and still not having a good time.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ammonia based process and storage freezers often run -50* and brother that is freaking cold. Rules state we do not work in them solo. Equipment even properly prepared has time limits in that environment.

Coldest I have seen is -65 in facility that made and tested the gas heaters for military vehicles set up for arctic conditions and that was freaking cold.

I was geared up and still not having a good time.

38 years ago as a 19 year old I worked in the shipping department at the old Rath Meat Packing Company (later Hebrew National), the 3rd floor freezer was -50 for flash freezing product. If you entered the freezer without a parka, it was automatic termination and had a maximum of 20 minute allowed in there at a time.
    The cold temp didn't bother me much as long as I was moving, my supervisor used to ride me for hitting the 30 minute mark. Great place to work (plus discount purchases) for a late teen making $19 a hour in 1981, to bad the dam union with it's demands for higher wages was the demise of Rath.

The coldest I was ever in outside weather was the bitter cold snap in 94 when it hit -36 In Whiteland. went to work at 5am @ -10 and was delivering beer all day, my truck's deisel fuel gelled up while finishing my last delivery in Greenwood @ the old Chipperfield Liquors (County Line & Madison) Had a case of Mich 4/6 nr's fall on the ground, glass broke but beer was frozen. car batteries was blowing up at the Perkins beside there when people tried jumping them. My late step father came to pick me up because wrecker never showed up. As long as I was out of the wind it I was OK, but that windchill was brutal.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I remember driving my old junk Chevy straight 6 from Westinghouse in Muncie up to a village pantry on memorial with the radiator frozen up. Didn't hurt the truck a bit. Poured some antifreeze in, and limped on home. Minus twenty or so in 89. Dad's truck would start, but the transmission was too cold to work right. My truck wouldn't start. We limped his over to mine, jumped it, and sat in his till it warmed up sufficiently for him to go. Good times!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    38 years ago as a 19 year old I worked in the shipping department at the old Rath Meat Packing Company (later Hebrew National), the 3rd floor freezer was -50 for flash freezing product. If you entered the freezer without a parka, it was automatic termination and had a maximum of 20 minute allowed in there at a time.
    The cold temp didn't bother me much as long as I was moving, my supervisor used to ride me for hitting the 30 minute mark. Great place to work (plus discount purchases) for a late teen making $19 a hour in 1981, to bad the dam union with it's demands for higher wages was the demise of Rath.

The coldest I was ever in outside weather was the bitter cold snap in 94 when it hit -36 In Whiteland. went to work at 5am @ -10 and was delivering beer all day, my truck's deisel fuel gelled up while finishing my last delivery in Greenwood @ the old Chipperfield Liquors (County Line & Madison) Had a case of Mich 4/6 nr's fall on the ground, glass broke but beer was frozen. car batteries was blowing up at the Perkins beside there when people tried jumping them. My late step father came to pick me up because wrecker never showed up. As long as I was out of the wind it I was OK, but that windchill was brutal.

I worked at that plant when it was Hebrew before it went smoke city and burned down. I know the flash freezer. There is another storage freezer facility (2) actually at morris and west street south on west by the river. Huge freezers.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    What's the saw for? Sawing off limbs and throwing them on the fire? What's the btu rating on the arm or leg of someone that is in good physical condition?

The survival kit is not just for bailing out over the ice pack. Plenty of cold wooded places in Alaska, Canada...Siberia...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Somewhere I have an old air force (?) seat cushion / cold weather survival suit. Vinyl seat cushion inside of which is a dense hooded parka and a half sleeping bag that zipps onto the coat. Warm as all get out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow, I can't imagine that kind of cold. With that being said, my first winter camping trip in Boy Scouts was in -15* with -60* wind chills. We were not prepared. Learned a lot though, and was never cold again while winter camping! :):

I worked in restaurants for 15 years, cooking, which usually involved going from the kitchen heat (broilers, griddles, fryers, stoves, etc.) to the freezer (probably just around 0* or maybe a little colder). So when I hear people in the office complain that it's "cold" or "hot", I'm usually like, "What?" :rolleyes:

The variation from maybe 68* to 72* really has very little effect on me.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was in some crazy wind chill in Iceland, but that was a dry cold. Looking for unexploded ordinance in -28 wind chill made you glad to be wearing chem-gear. Just above freezing, wind doing 50 knots, raining sideways so hard Gore-Tex quits being water-proof? That sucks!

I think the coldest I ever was actually here in Indiana. The Sunday in January 1982 when the Bengals beat the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl was the coldest wind chill for an NFL game, it was like -61. My car started so I went into Salem to help someone get theirs started. That was the day I started drinking coffee. I didn't like it, but it was HOT!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was in some crazy wind chill in Iceland, but that was a dry cold. Looking for unexploded ordinance in -28 wind chill made you glad to be wearing chem-gear. Just above freezing, wind doing 50 knots, raining sideways so hard Gore-Tex quits being water-proof? That sucks!

I think the coldest I ever was actually here in Indiana. The Sunday in January 1982 when the Bengals beat the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl was the coldest wind chill for an NFL game, it was like -61. My car started so I went into Salem to help someone get theirs started. That was the day I started drinking coffee. I didn't like it, but it was HOT!

Yes! I was living in Lafayette at the time, and my old 1970 Ford station wagon was the only vehicle that would start, and IIRC, it was right at Christmas time (same winter, different date). I went around and gathered up all my friends that were stranded (couldn't go home for Christmas). I was the manager of the Sizzler up there at the time, and went in and got some food from the restaurant (with the owner's blessing), since the stores were all closed. Brought it home, cooked a big dinner and just hung out (and partied of course :):). It was one of the best Christmases ever.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The survival kit is not just for bailing out over the ice pack. Plenty of cold wooded places in Alaska, Canada...Siberia...

My cold weather survival training (not as a pilot) centered around 101 ways to start and sustain a fire...to, y’know...not die.

Top Bottom