• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yesterday I had had my old Frigidaire oven/range set to "broil" and as I was about to put some tasty burgers inside to cook, I head a loud pop and saw a flash of light from behind the top of the oven. I lost power in the entire condo and then concluded that something went wrong.

I reset the circuit breaker for the oven, then went outside and did the same for the main breaker. Power restored to the condo, but the oven . . . not so much. The control panel with an LED display was dead, which killed the controls to the oven. The light inside was working and initially I thought the top burner was still active, which concerned me since it shouldn't work that way. After a discussion with chezuki, I rechecked and concluded that the heating element was just still hot from before the incident and not still receiving current (relief!). I also learned that the coils on the range top still work, so I was able to cook my tasty burgers in a big frying pan.

The Frigidaire is probably close to or as old as the condo (20+ years), or at least from the early days when they started using LEDs and touch panels for the oven controls (the top coils have conventional knobs). I'm thinking a fuse probably blew, so that can probably be replaced when I am motivated to tear into the back of it. I don't relish the idea of dropping $400 bucks on a new range/oven, so I'm hoping it's just a fuse and the electronics/controls are still intact and functional as soon as they can receive power again.

If the circuit board is dead, it could be a spendy replacement that probably suggests a new stove is a better idea.

Good times . . . good times . . .

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If it has a "brain" you'll probably be better off replacing it, cheaper in the long run. We had a "smart" wash machine that threw a code one day, we replaced the part. It immediately threw another code, replaced that part. Immediately threw another code. Sold the damn thing to a guy that does appliance repairs for half the cost of the newly replaced parts. He said he gets most of his parts that way. Designed obsolescence. Impressive you got 20 years out if it though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The big flash and loud pop on an electric appliance is an initial indicator that some part or all of the unit has flashed the electric death. If one was to look around inside it you would find something burnt. To continue using it might and very well could be dangerous but had, anything to get a tasty burger yes.....:):

Let it go. Duty cycle has been reached.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it has a "brain" you'll probably be better off replacing it, cheaper in the long run. We had a "smart" wash machine that threw a code one day, we replaced the part. It immediately threw another code, replaced that part. Immediately threw another code. Sold the damn thing to a guy that does appliance repairs for half the cost of the newly replaced parts. He said he gets most of his parts that way. Designed obsolescence. Impressive you got 20 years out if it though.

Went down that same road with the high tech front loader. Never liked the darn thing. Nothing but trouble.
    Replaced it with a pretty nice top loader and the spouse is happy again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think my stove is probably at least that old. I don't think it has any "smart" technology. Had something similar happen with the bottom element in the oven (burned up). It was a cheap fix just to replace the element (plug and play). I'd be leery though if it had computer controls. I just replaced all the top elements a couple of weeks ago. One of the 8" had to be wiggled to get it to start heating up, and the other 8" had a broken "support", so I really couldn't use it since it would tilt to one side if I put anything on it. I think it was less than 50 bucks to replace all 4 (two 8" and two 6"). Works like a champ again now. It's also a Frigidaire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think my stove is probably at least that old. I don't think it has any "smart" technology. Had something similar happen with the bottom element in the oven (burned up). It was a cheap fix just to replace the element (plug and play). I'd be leery though if it had computer controls. I just replaced all the top elements a couple of weeks ago. One of the 8" had to be wiggled to get it to start heating up, and the other 8" had a broken "support", so I really couldn't use it since it would tilt to one side if I put anything on it. I think it was less than 50 bucks to replace all 4 (two 8" and two 6"). Works like a champ again now. It's also a Frigidaire.

Did your flash and go bang....??????

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Have you visited the Frigidair web site? You might be able to find a wiring diagram or troubleshooting guide for that model even if it is ancient. You will need to get the model and serial number off the stove first, and they usually put them where it is almost impossible to see. Or you might check the web site before looking for the model and serial nos. Hate to think of you standing on your head or crawling around on the floor trying to read them then find out the web site is no help. Jim.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have you visited the Frigidair web site? You might be able to find a wiring diagram or troubleshooting guide for that model even if it is ancient. You will need to get the model and serial number off the stove first, and they usually put them where it is almost impossible to see. Or you might check the web site before looking for the model and serial nos. Hate to think of you standing on your head or crawling around on the floor trying to read them then find out the web site is no help. Jim.

I was lucky. Mine has a drawer under the oven and that info was on the side of the drawer. I was afraid I was going to have to pull it out from the wall and surrounding cabinetry to find it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Agreed.

The big flash and loud pop on an electric appliance is an initial indicator that some part or all of the unit has flashed the electric death. If one was to look around inside it you would find something burnt. To continue using it might and very well could be dangerous but had, anything to get a tasty burger yes.....:):

Let it go. Duty cycle has been reached.

Agreed. I haven't pulled the circuit board, but I'll bet cash folding money it has a big scorch mark on its dead, dead body.

I have the circuit open for now. I'll close it if I need to use the top coils before I get a new unit, then open it again. I do not trust it sitting unattended with power going to it.

I have the troubleshooting guide with error codes and circuit diagram next to me right now. The documents were in a bag attached to the back side of the range. We won't be seeing any error codes from her in the near future . . . she's brain dead, Jim!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just checked pricing on a replacement control board using the part number in the circuit diagram. $250 on Amazon!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Might want to check their return policy on electronics in case it arrives DOA. I have no idea just thought you might want to check.

That's excellent advice!

However, I'm 99.99% convinced that I'm going with a new range as soon as I can do it.

Until then, it's close the circuit, use the top burners, open the circuit. Maybe I'll fire-up a grill too. Grilling only in warm weather is ***** behavior.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That's excellent advice!

However, I'm 99.99% convinced that I'm going with a new range as soon as I can do it.

Until then, it's close the circuit, use the top burners, open the circuit. Maybe I'll fire-up a grill too. Grilling only in warm weather is ***** behavior.

Crock pot is your friend too. And air fryers work really good as well.
    But definitely use the grill. I've shoveled 2ft deep snow to get to me grill before

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Check next door or some of the other apps that have locals selling stuff, as there may be someone looking to part with one cheap so they can replace it with the latest gadget.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered Denny's this holiday season?

tWfZ4Cr.jpg

Top Bottom