• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dimlydeposit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    New York
    I don't know why i ask that question,i just upgraded to Windows 10 and i don't know much about it,i am a stranger to it.
    I used to use Windows 7,i can not go back.
    Well....I will learn to understand Windows 10.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Win 10 is a schizo operating system. There are a lot of positive things to the OS, like upgraded security and better utilities (like task manager improvements) and a lot of downsides like forcing apps and mobile features on people using desktops. Especially considering that MS has failed in the mobile arena, except for the surface line of devices, I would love to see them allow for a method to turn off the mobile features for people on desktops without a touchscreen. Otherwise, eh, it's tolerable. Honestly, if it weren't for occasional light gaming, I'd move to Linux full time. Oh and don't even get me started on privacy concerns and Cortona! :rolleyes:

BTW, a little known fact is that the upgrade is still free if you have a valid copy of Win 7. I just upgraded my main desktop for free yesterday.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Works fine for me. I've been on 10 since it was available. Best laptop OS from Microsoft.

Yeah, they moved everything. But, most of the "old school" controls are still there if you dig for them. Cortana is a joke, so I have that as disabled as it will get. "Apps" vs. full blown software seem to be a swing and a miss.

Not saying it is an awesome OS. Just the best MS OS for laptops.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Even on the desktop it's tolerable, I would just appreciate the ability to not ever have to have to use an app or mobile feature. Microsoft's idea was a bad one when they designed Win 10 and it's still a bad idea. They wanted one OS to rule them all, but that died a miserable death with them getting out of the phone market. Now their mobile stuff gets some use on surface and laptop devices, but plain doesn't make sense on a traditional desktop. One thing that would have improved the OS greatly would have been a "switch" or "toggle" within the OS to disable mobile features on a traditional desktop. That way the OS would have made a great deal more sense and not seem so schizophrenic.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even on the desktop it's tolerable, I would just appreciate the ability to not ever have to have to use an app or mobile feature. Microsoft's idea was a bad one when they designed Win 10 and it's still a bad idea. They wanted one OS to rule them all, but that died a miserable death with them getting out of the phone market. Now their mobile stuff gets some use on surface and laptop devices, but plain doesn't make sense on a traditional desktop. One thing that would have improved the OS greatly would have been a "switch" or "toggle" within the OS to disable mobile features on a traditional desktop. That way the OS would have made a great deal more sense and not seem so schizophrenic.

Is "Classic Shell" still available to download? I think that's what I did when I was forced to go to Win 10. Makes it "feel" a little more like Win 7. I'm completely used to it now since it's on our work laptops and my own now.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I thought about that, but I rarely use the start menu, keeping everything off the desktop and only using quicklaunch to get to programs. I do right click the windows icon in order to get to shut down, search and other utilities. Pretty much the only thing I use outside of quicklaunch icons.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We are being "upgraded" to Windows 10 this weekend by our IT weenies.:rolleyes:

As long as they can make it "look" like 7, I don't expect much trouble.

I'm the kid around here at age 46, but we have grouchy older CAD jockeys that will scream like it's the end of the world is ANYTHING on their workstation looks the tiniest bit different.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm the kid around here at age 46, but we have grouchy older CAD jockeys that will scream like it's the end of the world is ANYTHING on their workstation looks the tiniest bit different.

We recently had a big Win 10 "update" (1809 I think). Took almost 2 hours to download/install and it played havoc with a few of our existing applications, resulting in more updates to fix the update. :rolleyes: It's like they (our IT systems guys) don't do any testing before pushing this crap out to the general public. And yet they don't upgrade our browser. I'm constantly getting messages from various websites saying, "Your browser version is outdated and should be updated." Well no **** Sherlock... but we're not allowed to update anything on our own.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Reason being: Windows 7 is losing support 1/2020 (unless Microsoft extends it again). As an IT group, we have to have supported OS to work with.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Reason being: Windows 7 is losing support 1/2020 (unless Microsoft extends it again). As an IT group, we have to have supported OS to work with.

Yep, I agree it was necessary. Having worked support for almost 2 decades support for the OS is HUGE. That said, I thankfully always worked for companies when I was support who actually tested new OS's and rolled them out with only minor issues.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Interesting first post, but welcome nonetheless. :D

The only experience I have with it is my 86-year-old mother's Dell PC that crashes a couple of times a day. I hate that you can't intuitively find things the way you could with Windows 7. Nothing is where it belongs.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What's not to like???? It runs. Several I know are MS haters, anything MS is bad. When I ask them for the reasons blank stares, you think I asked a liberal why they hate Trump. IMHO, the cause of people having issues is not enough RAM

Granted Win10 Home comes preload with apps that are memory hogs. Bought a 4 Gig Backup LT for the club, out of the box it wasn't useable, turned off MS Store processes and McAfee and it runs fine now.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I hate Microsoft Edge (and Bing). Need to find a way to delete or disable it, or at the very least, make it not the default browser/search engine.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hate Microsoft Edge (and Bing). Need to find a way to delete or disable it, or at the very least, make it not the default browser/search engine.

Edge is being phased out, but in the meantime, you can open the start menu, type "default" to go to "Default App Settings", and change the browser to IE instead of Edge. Or obviously Chrome/Firefox are fine, too.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Edge is being phased out, but in the meantime, you can open the start menu, type "default" to go to "Default App Settings", and change the browser to IE instead of Edge. Or obviously Chrome/Firefox are fine, too.
    Thank you. :yesway: I just have not taken the time to figure out how this **** works. 7 was so much more intuitive.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Nobody who has ever run Linux 'likes' Windows afterwards. Windows is simply something to be tolerated from occasional necessity because some things simply are never ported elsewhere.

Top Bottom