• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Up here in the NW corner it looks like pretty much all of the fields have been picked around me. I am curious as to how the yield was this year and what if any changes Indiana farmers will make in the future after all the rain issues this year.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The local farmers I talked to said yield was better than anticipated in the fields that actually got planted. The long warm fall helped offset the late planting. They also did not plan on doing anything different, since this was a weird weather year and not likely to be repeated anytime soon.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I live in SW Michigan. Corn is coming off slow due to high than average grain moisture. Propane prices have increased as a result. Test weight vary but I would say on average will be down from normal. Yeilds are down because of the delayed planting this spring. There is a fair amount of soybeans to come off. Guys who could dry them picked at higher moisture, otherwise if your dependent on field drying(like I am) there hasn't been enough drying days to get them to the moisture( le than 16%) where elevators will accept them. Yields are also down. Our grape crop was ok but nothing to brag about and due to the reduction of growing degree days reaching minimum sugar levels was a challenge across the region.
    2018 & 2018 up here were dismal due to wet springs. Then having to deal with delayed planting, re-planting, and not planting any or all of your acreage. For next year? The seed and fertilizer guys have been calling for 2020 orders. I've decided not to commit to anything until we get closer to spring.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What I am hearing (Valpo/south Porter County) is that it's a tale of 2 plantings.

What got planted before the rains did well. What didn't, not so much.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am from DeMotte and work at farm co-op , the farmers are pretty satisfied the way the yield was considering the weather, some did slightly better than others, but thats due to their fields locations more than anything.The farmers wait to see how things work out weather wise and go from there.Its all a big crap shoot really,weather is BIG determining factor.World markets play a big role too, china is supposed to start trading again I heard, then prices should start going back up.A lot of that stuff is politics.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's about 500 acres of corn just north of us that planted late and then had over 50% of it underwater for a day or two. What did come up was severely stunted and I honestly didn't believe they'd cut it this year other than to make way for the spring plant. Came home last night and saw about a pickup load of corn on the ground and the field had been cut. Don't know if that was their yield and they dumped it or spillage.

Top Bottom