Avoid harbor Freight at all costs warning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I picked up a US general 56 inch rolling cart last night from a store about 45 minutes away. I opened it today, and the lock doesn't release. I know it would be an easy fix if I could get the drawers out, but if it doesnt unlock, its hard to get the drawers out.

I called the store and explained.
    They informed me I bought the last one, so they cant replace it.
    I said no problem, when is your next shipment?
    They informed me that Harbor Freight doesn't let them know, so I ask if he ordered one how long will it take, and he said "I cant order, I just get what I get, it could be 2 days, it could be a year"

I ended up calling corporate, knowing no company worked like that. Corporate said the same thing.
    I said "you have them on your website in stock. How long will it take to get that to me, or to the store"?
    They said "you didn't buy through the website, so we cant send one to you or the store. Had you bought online, we could ship you a replacement.

Now Im getting pissed, and said "well what is the solution here" She said I had to wait until the store I bought from got one in stock to replace mine. I ask when that will be, and she said no one would know the answer to that. It could be 2 days, it could be a year, it just depends on where they are on the schedule to get one.

I called the store and said "how do we fix this?"
    He said "the only way the system will allow him to hold me one, is if they owe me one. They don't owe me one until I bring my broken one back. I needed to drop off the broken on, and wait up to a year for him to get a replacement."

Taking the box back for a refund, and ordering online is not an option either.

I dont want to make 2 1.5 hour drives (round trip) to do the exchange. I want to bring the broken one back when I can pick up a new one. I honestly don't think I'm asking to much, I know my customers ask a lot more when mistakes happen (completely unavoidable), and I happily deliver a lot more. I don't even understand how its possible for a company in today's day and age to treat customers like this.

Today was the first charge back I've ever done in my entire life.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    You have to understand Harbor Freight is basically just a store that sells stuff direct from various overseas lot-order tool factories, just look at the ads and you will see the lot numbers. If all items from a lot are sold, that's it... there won't be anymore unless it is made regularly for another brand or it sold well enough to make another batch.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It amazes me that people even buy from Harbor Freight. Sure, I would buy some nitrile gloves or maybe some zip ties.

But my money is too valuable to purchase something that is going to be used extensively, or expected to last a long time. The best is just good enough for me.

Sorry this happened to you. Just like buying Vortex over say, a Barska. I get what I pay for. And that goes for customer service also. You take pride in your business. You know how tough it is so you provide good customer service, a good product at a competitive price. If you want the rock bottom price, you will have to give up either service or quality. Or both.

I'd make the trip and return it, get your money back instead of letting them sit on it for who knows how long and either go buy something else or wait until they have them in stock and try again.

:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My brother had a similar experience and has sworn them off as of yesterday. I just get stuff like rubber gloves for changing oil and moving blankets there. Not my favorite store.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't know where the next closest HF is but you can take it to a different one and exchange it if they have one. I've done it many times, of course there are at least 3 of them in the Indy area so it's a little easier for me than it may be for you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You have to understand Harbor Freight is basically just a store that sells stuff direct from various overseas lot-order tool factories, just look at the ads and you will see the lot numbers. If all items from a lot are sold, that's it... there won't be anymore unless it is made regularly for another brand or it sold well enough to make another batch.

I could understand that.

Problem is, it is in stock online. They just wont ship it to the store, or me. I could buy another online, and get it shipped to my door.

Problem is, I'm told if I take this one back, refund is not an option, it's an exchange only.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    That sucks OP. Exchanging hasn't been a problem for me but like you say, the drive time adds up. The lock can't be too hard to pick. Have you tried some other keys laying around? If you can jimmy the lock just once you might be able to fix it like you said. Good luck and sorry for your frustration.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    If the charge back goes through you will almost certainly have HF's attention. Companies do not like charge backs. Or I should say the merchant processors don't like it and they in turn pass that displeasure on to their client.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That sucks OP. Exchanging hasn't been a problem for me but like you say, the drive time adds up. The lock can't be too hard to pick. Have you tried some other keys laying around? If you can jimmy the lock just once you might be able to fix it like you said. Good luck and sorry for your frustration.

The key is working, and the lock turns. There is a bar in the back that the rod moves to unlock the door. The rod is not moving the bar, so I cant get to the problem. I have no doubt it's an easy fix.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If the charge back goes through you will almost certainly have HF's attention. Companies do not like charge backs. Or I should say the merchant processors don't like it and they in turn pass that displeasure on to their client.

Agreed.

We just lost a charge back last week. A guy placed an order on the site, we shipped it to the address he typed in. He emails 3 weeks later saying he typed the wrong address, and didnt get the scope, so I needed to send another to the correct address.

I said no, I dont know where you live, and sent it where you told me to. He did a chargeback, I fought it, and lost. Cost me 1200 bucks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Take the weight off it by setting on it's back

Tried sitting it on it's back and top. Problem is, this thing weighs 400 pounds. I will only use it for 1 show a year, but need it to look perfect for that show. I cant be banging it up flipping it around.

Since it will get touched literally once a year, I didnt want to spend 5k. I have one now (craftsman), but it's been through 50 shows, and 50k miles in the trailer. It works fine, just doesn't look the part

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Agreed.

We just lost a charge back last week. A guy placed an order on the site, we shipped it to the address he typed in. He emails 3 weeks later saying he typed the wrong address, and didnt get the scope, so I needed to send another to the correct address.

I said no, I dont know where you live, and sent it where you told me to. He did a chargeback, I fought it, and lost. Cost me 1200 bucks.

I hate scammers that do that crap...

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Agreed.

Holy crap. :( Small claims court maybe?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    How the latch works... Turn it over one more time and tap it with a mallet while you wiggle different drawers and that lock bar should drop "up" and allow to open and remove the top drawer.
    [video=youtube;1-7XbxmEJvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7XbxmEJvA[/video]

Top Bottom