• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Almost every fuel terminal or ethanol plant I go to, I can easily pick out which tank is storing the ethanol. Over only about a year, they start to look like this picture below. The black residue also attaches to other metal object near by. It's chalky and doesn't come off easily. It almost has a carbon feel to it. I've asked terminal personal but they have no clue.

So what is this residue? Why only on the ethanol tanks?

Ta6j6d3.png

(Pic from Google Street view)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Learned something new. I've seen those around (specifically at the old Rock Island refinery here in Indy) but didnt realize what was in those tanks. I assumed it was some kind of overflow. (like it was actually full of something like crude, asphalt oil, etc.)

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Learned something new. I've seen those around (specifically at the old Rock Island refinery here in Indy) but didnt realize what was in those tanks. I assumed it was some kind of overflow. (like it was actually full of something like crude, asphalt oil, etc.)

You can usually tell when heavy petro [ like asphalt and #6 fuel oil ] is being stored in large tanks because they will be insulated to hold the heat in, and usually have solid roofs that dont float up and down with the product level...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can usually tell when heavy petro [ like asphalt and #6 fuel oil ] is being stored in large tanks because they will be insulated to hold the heat in, and usually have solid roofs that dont float up and down with the product level...

I've seen a lot of the floating roofs go away on light products (gas and diesel) tanks too. I know every tank we've refurbished (25 year span from what I've been told) have been switched to a fixed, domed roof.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've seen a lot of the floating roofs go away on light products (gas and diesel) tanks too. I know every tank we've refurbished (25 year span from what I've been told) have been switched to a fixed, domed roof.
    I am guessing the fixed roofs don't have nearly the loss due to evaporation. Just imagine how much vapor gets released, if it is enough to grow fungus on that and surrounding tanks. And the gasoline tanks are doing the same, just w/o a fungus that eats it. "No Fumar" indeed.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Alcohol vapors feeding the beasties. You should see the distilleries @ Bardstown, KY. Rack buildings are covered with the black stuff as is most stuff nearby.

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    Learn something new every day! I didnt know any of this , much less that we had a refinery here in Indiana.

I know a lot of folks don't like to claim NWI as part of the Hoosier state, but I believe the BP refinery in Whiting was in the top 10 largest refineries in the US.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    At least I was correct in not eating it! Weird that things grow on gasoline, everything I put it on dies, sometimes running and screaming wildly?:):

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Rock Island Refinery on W 86th St in NW Marion county closed in 1993. I don't know what they produced, other than gasoline, but you could smell the place for miles depending on the wind direction.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The Rock Island Refinery on W 86th St in NW Marion county closed in 1993. I don't know what they produced, other than gasoline, but you could smell the place for miles depending on the wind direction.

You could see the flames coming out of the burn-off stacks for quite a ways too.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Alcohol vapors feeding the beasties. You should see the distilleries @ Bardstown, KY. Rack buildings are covered with the black stuff as is most stuff nearby.
    Aha! I saw that last summer. Thanks for clarifying.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    When I mentioned this to my wife who is from KY and saw the same tanks in Bardstown, she mentioned that a few years ago the residents of Smithfield, KY had run off the distillers who wanted to put a couple of tanks in their area. They cited the black gunk that got onto everything. Here's an article about Shively, KY with some interesting pics of black fungus on cars, signs, everywhere it seems, not just on the tanks. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/78dyqb/kentuckys-whiskey-fungus-problem-is-out-of-control

Top Bottom