• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Welcome to Black Friday. Up to meet w the swim group and the ignition in my car won’t turn.

Tried rocking the steering wheel. Tried a spare key.

Nope. Never had a problem w it before.

So INGO who in Avon area should I call? Wife can take me to work. Someone will be home.

Other things to try?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnPd8EOdEgA

They are not hard to remove, had to do this with my 2004 F-150 to repair shift tube. Since I put my old one back in I don't know how available they are to get a new one. Jim.

I just checked NAPA and Advance auto parts and couldn't find anything that included a set of keys just the electric part. If you remove it and take it to a locksmith it would probably save a fair amount of time and money. Jim.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    You might have a tumbler stuck or sticky. Try a little graphite and tap the iginition switch to loosen things up. It doesn't work everytime, but it is quick and an inexpensive try.

ron

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to Black Friday. Up to meet w the swim group and the ignition in my car won’t turn.

Tried rocking the steering wheel. Tried a spare key.

Nope. Never had a problem w it before.

So INGO who in Avon area should I call? Wife can take me to work. Someone will be home.

Other things to try?

You said you rocked the steering wheel, did you try turning it slightly in both directions while turning the key?
    My car sometimes does this, and if I turn the wheel slightly in the proper direction to take the tension off, the key will turn.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    No pressure on steering wheel. Wheel is locked (slight movement). WD-40 has not helped

saw how to disassemble myself. Must wait til stress is lower to evaluate if I can try this.

1 locksmith answered. On vacation in Florida. Will be available Wed am. Worst case... car is in garage til then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree make sure ur steering wheel is not under pressure and shoot some wd40 into the cylinder
    Don't do this. Dry lubes only in locks.

"wet" lubes attract dust and dirt and will only make the problem of stuck pins worse in the long run. They do make spray dry lubes for locks though. All the "wet" stuff in dry sprays evaporates totally leaving only dry lubes behind.

EDIT: as I hit submit I realized there will be an INGO Nazi along any time to tell me that they dont "attract" anything. Which is technically correct. It just allows the stuff that does get in there to stick and not come back out, causing long term gumming up of the works as more and more particles stay behind stuck to the wet lube.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't do this. Dry lubes only in locks.

"wet" lubes attract dust and dirt and will only make the problem of stuck pins worse in the long run. They do make spray dry lubes for locks though. All the "wet" stuff in dry sprays evaporates totally leaving only dry lubes behind.

EDIT: as I hit submit I realized there will be an INGO Nazi along any time to tell me that they dont "attract" anything. Which is technically correct. It just allows the stuff that does get in there to stick and not come back out, causing long term gumming up of the works as more and more particles stay behind stuck to the wet lube.

WD-40 sucks. It will dry out and leave a film. Sometimes the film is a bit sticky but it will not work as a lubricant long term only a temporary slickness.

Water Displacement #40

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I feel dumb. I know WD-40 is water displacement formula 40. Should have used my Teflon spray.

I have a feeling the lock will need to be pulled and rebuilt. Can clean it out then.

No not dumb at all. People often do this as the stuff goes out slick. It just does not stay that way.

I have used it to thaw a frozen door lock on a car or the shed. Warm up the can. Then shoot something better in the lock when you get it freed up.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Putting car keys in your pocket is a problem waiting to happen. Too much garbage can work it's way into lock cylinders.
    Use compressed air to clean that WD crap from the ignition lock cylinder assembly. Then use lock ease (graphite" in it. Lightly tap the key cylinder while trying to turn the key.
    Make sure you turn your key half over. I have one ignition key that only works one way. It's an original equipment key too.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Rewatched the video on fixing it. Took the time to try it. Figured the worst I could do is not get it back together.

Got to where I was pressing the detent button and trying to get the ignition lock itself out. Beat on it to encourage it. Suddenly, everything started working like it should.

Put put it back together keeping the tools in the car.

Thanks INGO.

Top Bottom