• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Staying on through the end of the year. So another month.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — There are changes coming to the leadership of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

IMPD Chief Bryan Roach announced his retirement Friday. Roach made the announcement after nearly 29 years of service to the city.

In the announcement, Roach said he appreciates the opportunity the three years as Chief of Police has given him.

“I am grateful and humbled to have led this organization and its members,” Roach said. “IMPD has some of the best and brightest men and women working across both the civilian and sworn ranks. The care, concern, and kindness they show daily for the citizens of Indianapolis, both publicly and privately, have been and will continue to be an inspiration to me.”

During his time as Chief of Police, the Indianapolis Mayor’s office said the department returned to citywide beat policing and created a crisis team focused on treating, rather than jailing, people suffering from mental health issues.

Roach also oversaw the launch of the Crime Gun Intelligence Center, which works across federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to identify serial shooters for investigation and prosecution.

“Chief Roach has proven to be a deliberate and dedicated leader throughout his nearly three decades with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, driven to make our city safer for all residents by working collaboratively, addressing the root causes of crime and leading his officers through a return to a community-focused policing model,” said Mayor Hogsett. “I want to thank Bryan for his steadfast service to the people of Indianapolis, and wish him incredible happiness in his retirement.”

Roach began his career in 1991 as a patrol officer in the North District before rising through the ranks as a narcotics detective, sergeant, and supervisor of the North District Neighborhood Resource Unit.

Chief Roach will continue to serve as police chief through the end of the year.

https://fox59.com/2019/11/29/changes-coming-to-impd-administration/

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Is this retirement a good thing or a bad thing or a meh thing?

I thought Roach was pretty well-liked. Hopefully one of the IMPD guys will be along to give us their view.

All in all I think he is a good Chief. He had to make some tough decisions that I didn't always agree with, but I know he isn't top dog in the grand scheme of things. I'm not looking forward to his rumored replacement.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I didn't interact with him much but did like him. Most of my dealings were with Sheriff Cottey whom I liked quite a bit.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    All in all I think he is a good Chief. He had to make some tough decisions that I didn't always agree with, but I know he isn't top dog in the grand scheme of things. I'm not looking forward to his rumored replacement.

Is it Denny?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have no direct information, but my sense is that he did a good job of balancing between the political (both with the administration and the community) and the cops-on-the-beat.

There's no perfect way to walk that tightrope, but he did pretty well.

No clue who the replacement might be, so I'm curious about that, too.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have no direct information, but my sense is that he did a good job of balancing between the political (both with the administration and the community) and the cops-on-the-beat.

There's no perfect way to walk that tightrope, but he did pretty well.

No clue who the replacement might be, so I'm curious about that, too.

He is a good Chief.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Update! Waiting for reaction from resident INGO LEOs.

[h=1]Indianapolis Mayor Hogsett names assistant chief Randal Taylor as new head of IMPD
    [/h]INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett announced Randal Taylor as the new chief for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
    Hogsett made the announcement during a press conference Tuesday morning. Chris Bailey will become the assistant chief.

Taylor is a familiar face from within the department. He is a longtime criminal investigator, and he most recently served as the assistant chief under Bryan Roach.
    Roach is retiring this week after serving three years as IMPD chief.

Roach presided over a period of great transition inside IMPD, from technological and investigative innovations to the hiring of hundreds of new police officers and revamping their training as well as expanding beat policing.

While overall crime decreased on Roach’s watch, homicide statistics have remained consistent.

https://fox59.com/2019/12/30/indian...tant-chief-randal-taylor-as-new-head-of-impd/

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My BIL passed a promotion to stay on the streets.

There was the guy who went somewhere else to be chief, and it didn't happen :popcorn:, and he came back.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My BIL was talking about him the other day. I said cops are ***holes. He looked at me, then smiled and said 'We can be.'.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have no beef with Chief Taylor. He was Assistant Chief prior so I don't see and major changes as Chief. Knowing who COULD have been Chief, I'm happy with this choice. He's a nice enough man.

Top Bottom