• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Bought this car new and love it. Only real disappointment is no CD player and we have a ton of CD's. Anyone know if one can be added and/or a place that does that?

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    CD is strangely considered old technology now and most manufactures have done away with it. Everything is streamed or downloaded these days. You're better off downloading Spotify, Pandora, Itunes, or another music host and using the bluetooth feature to connect your phone to the car for music, calls, etc.

I've never tried it, but you can also use an aux cable, double sided, to connect a CD player through the aux port in your car. That should be the cheapest route if you insist on using your CDs.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I just looked on Crutchfield, and it stated “We don't recommend replacing the radio in your vehicle.”
    I have never seen that before, but admittedly I have not replaced a head unit recently. Might be time to look into “backing up” your cd collection if your car supports the use of a usb drive.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There is no CD player option for your car from Mazda, so, no, not from them.

But... I'm a car audio nerd... I've seen threads like this (in other places) go far deep into the woods off the rails before. So I'm going to answer the question you asked as directly as possible:

Yes, of course you can add a CD player to your car with enough time and money. The easiest way to do this on any car, regardless of make, model, era, or anything else is to do it how we did it back in the early '90s and buy a trunk mounted changer with an RF interface. The changer plugs in-line with your car's antenna and comes with it's own controller that you double back tape to the dash (or put in the center console, or a cup holder, or whatever you want) so there's no splicing or other interface required to your stock "infotainment" system (or '70s 8-track player, or anything else that has an antenna connection in a car). These are no longer sold new, but are available on ebay for about $120 it seems. They work by tuning your radio to a certain frequency and the changer's controller "broadcasts" that frequency to your radio through the in-line connection. They sound, "meh", but they do work.

The other chain of comments, usually by people so aggressive that they may as well be wielding pitchforks as they type their responses, that I would expect to see in a thread like this is that only a fool would ever do anything other than stream Bluetooth audio, or connect via auxiliary input, from their phone. Without intending that attitude at all, that approach is inline with my honest opinion and is what I do. If you would like to turn the conversation that direction, I'm happy to help, but I don't to seem like a pitchfork guy.

So, yes, you can absolutely put a changer in the truck. Get one complete (make certain it has an RF modulator and all of the wiring, and it's all intact) and practically anyone can install it. Just power, ground, antenna, and the wire up to the controller in the passenger compartment. Not usually more than an hour or two project and probably not difficult at all in an SUV.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does it have a USB input?

Our van does and we just loaded the CDs on a flash drive. We can access the CDs by title or track through a menu in the stock stereo...but it’s not a Mazda.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The spousal unit and I have a 2018 CX5 (great car, BTW) and a LOT of CDs... To each his own but the only reason I can think of for having the CDs in the car is to take them to a storage unit after ripping them. These days, if I want to hear anything except Garth Brooks I just ask Siri to play it.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I had a FM Modulator put into my car (last 2 actually) so I would have an auxiliary input. Then I run everything through that (CD player in my car never worked correctly). If you do not have an auxiliary input, that might be a serious option for you. Then get a portable CD player -- I wore out a Sony Sport CD player. it had a buffering system so bumps would not stop the play. No idea what is available now.

Like you, I prefer CDs for music. Though I rip them into MP3s for travel.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As stated, rip all your CD's to MP3 and put them on a flash drive. I also have a 2018 CX-5 and mine has 2 USB slots in the center console. Gives hours of music without ever having to change a disc. This is what I did, coming from a 2004 Grand Prix that had a 6 disc changer.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks much for all the input guys. I'm going to look into these suggestions and see where it goes. Love this forum!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    rectangle.gif

Or:

Top Bottom