• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Since we got our Ford Expedition this summer, I have been preparing it as our "Snow Expedition" vehicle. My work usually has me driving county roads and my busy season is January through March.

I bought a good 12v air compressor in case I need to air up my tires after I have aired down for traction, a nice heavy and long set of jumper cables, an entrenching etool for digging out snow, and now I am looking at buying Go Treads...

https://gotreads.com/

I watched all 3 seasons of Expedition Overland and noticed that in all the times they got stuck, I think only once or twice did they use their wenches. Most of the time they used their MaxTrax and just rolled out. I looked into MaxTrax, but dang, they cost $300!

In looking for a more affordable and possibly compact alternative, I found the Go Treads. Right now they are having a sale on their website.....$95 with free shipping for a set of 2. I guess the military uses them on their deuce and a half trucks. They appear to work, can take weight and are durable. I guess they can't do everything that the MaxTrax can do....like bridge making...but they seem like they can do 85% of the job. A side benefit is they can be used as levelers for campers. They fold up small, so I can keep them with me all the time in my "emergency box" I keep in the back of the Expedition with my other stuff.

For me, I think they will do everything we need...winter traction...level camper. I am not off roading or overlanding with our Expedition, so as far as I can tell, the missed benefits of the MaxTrax will not affect me.

Has anyone used Go Treads? What has your experience been? Do you guys have better alternatives?

final-version-zig-zag-edge.png

Edited to add: Here is a video I found on their website. According to their website, I guess these are issued with a lot of the deuce and a half trucks for getting unstuck.

[video=youtube;TsPwO4ybHe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TsPwO4ybHe4&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No experience with those products, but for $90, it would be nice to have around.

Like Brad, I'm also curious what actual tires you have in mind. It's better to just not get stuck in the first place.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I just installed a new set of the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's. Mine are the older design not the new 4S version. I guess the new design is not as highly regarded as the old ones. They have really good reviews and seem to be considered a good all terrain tire by many. We have had 2 minor snow events so far and I drove them in rear wheel drive....the 4 wheel drive was not necessary. To me, they seem pretty good in snow.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a one ton 4X4 with a dump body that I plow with. Use regular all season Firestone tires. I carry sand, about 1000 lbs worth in 5 gallon buckets with lids. One 5 gallon has salt as well. When I get stuck, it happens a lot when I plow, I use an ice scraper to break up snow, shovel to move the snow, and then sand poured on and in front or back of tire. Works all the time, with minimal effort. I have never been stuck on the road though. If you think you might get stuck on the road, or by sliding off the road, it might be worth a AAA membership, or carry a tow strap so if someone comes along they can help you even if they do not have a strap.

This is the type of scraper I am talking about:

66f8d1ec-2a36-4426-95b3-7ed7be38a2c0_1000.jpg

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Yes, I do have a tow strap coming for Christmas. It is a 30 foot 45,000lb rated one. So that will be taken care of also. I am hoping it is used more for me helping others out, but it could be used for getting me out of a tough spot if necessary. I did purchase a shackle and hitch adapter for the towing hitch on the rear. My Expedition has factory recovery points that protrude from the front bumper, so the front is already setup.

In the past I just used to put the tow strap on the ball on my tow hitch. But once I did some research I found that there have been people who have died when the ball broke off the hitch and the recovery strap slung that ball through a windshield into someone's face. I guess the balls are not built for the type of side forces a recovery strap delivers.

I know that if I get buried up to the frame, then the Go Treads will not work since the wheels will not have weight on them. That is why I got the etool / shovel. If necessary, I can dig out snow from underneath. It's not a big shovel and will be slow. But it's better than nothing and it's small package allows me to have it with me all the time.

I am trying to make this vehicle as self sufficient in the winter as possible. I am also building an emergency kit that will have cold weather gear of various types in case I am stuck and cannot reach help easily. Although, here in Indiana I don't think that is likely, I feel better knowing I am prepared just in case.

Edited to add......AAA membership will not help if the tow truck cannot get to me. I have seen many, many times where people cannot get a tow service to come out because the tow trucks are having a hard time getting around as well. Usually they end up being helped by one of the local farmers running around in one of their larger tractors.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a generic version of Max Traxx that I use in the winter. I can't remember the brand, but I'm always surprised how well that type of recovery device works when stuck.

I've never used them in mud since I don't offroad my truck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you should buy those things. That should give us three or four years of mild winters. :)

Kinda like me buying ice fishing gear in southern Indiana...;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since we got our Ford Expedition this summer, I have been preparing it as our "Snow Expedition" vehicle. My work usually has me driving county roads and my busy season is January through March.

I bought a good 12v air compressor in case I need to air up my tires after I have aired down for traction, a nice heavy and long set of jumper cables, an entrenching etool for digging out snow, and now I am looking at buying Go Treads...

https://gotreads.com/

I watched all 3 seasons of Expedition Overland and noticed that in all the times they got stuck, I think only once or twice did they use their wenches. Most of the time they used their MaxTrax and just rolled out. I looked into MaxTrax, but dang, they cost $300!

In looking for a more affordable and possibly compact alternative, I found the Go Treads. Right now they are having a sale on their website.....$95 with free shipping for a set of 2. I guess the military uses them on their deuce and a half trucks. They appear to work, can take weight and are durable. I guess they can't do everything that the MaxTrax can do....like bridge making...but they seem like they can do 85% of the job. A side benefit is they can be used as levelers for campers. They fold up small, so I can keep them with me all the time in my "emergency box" I keep in the back of the Expedition with my other stuff.

For me, I think they will do everything we need...winter traction...level camper. I am not off roading or overlanding with our Expedition, so as far as I can tell, the missed benefits of the MaxTrax will not affect me.

Has anyone used Go Treads? What has your experience been? Do you guys have better alternatives?
    The last time I used wenches to get the Jeep unstuck, they didn’t speak to me for a couple of weeks after!? I didn’t mean to sling mud all over them.;) But, to answer, I’ve used Maxx Traxx and a hi lift before, got me unstuck.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    These things work well. Mine are made by TRED, which I think ARB now owns. I keep a set in my wife's 2 wheel drive 15 passenger Ford Transit van. It gets stuck very easily and these help it right out. Don't spin the tires, though. That burns the spikes right off of them.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    These things work well. Mine are made by TRED, which I think ARB now owns. I keep a set in my wife's 2 wheel drive 15 passenger Ford Transit van. It gets stuck very easily and these help it right out. Don't spin the tires, though. That burns the spikes right off of them.

These are different....they don't have spikes. They also fold for much easier storage.

final-version-zig-zag-edge.png

Edited to add: Here is a video I found on their website. According to their website, I guess these are issued with a lot of the deuce and a half trucks for getting unstuck.

[video=youtube;TsPwO4ybHe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=TsPwO4ybHe4&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I bought two of them yesterday. The sale includes fre3e shipping. I had fun pushing some ladies car out of an ice covered ditch this season and these might have made it easier.

There are cheaper knock-offs but they looked so much cheaper that I didn't want to play.

Besides, as mentioned, once they show up we won't have snow and ice worth needing them.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The last time I used wenches to get the Jeep unstuck, they didn’t speak to me for a couple of weeks after!? I didn’t mean to sling mud all over them.;) But, to answer, I’ve used Maxx Traxx and a hi lift before, got me unstuck.

Sounds like you need to find a higher quality wench. Not one of those cheap ones you may see at Harbor Freight.

However, being the happily married man I am, I don't know where one would find such things. But I have heard rumors that there are some here on INGO who would be better equipped to offer references.

Top Bottom