• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There is, or was, a woodworking shop on the south side where you could go and use their tools and equipment to make things. They advertised heavily on the book of faces, but I haven’t been on there in a good long while. I can’t recall the name of the place I’m thinking of, but I’d love to use their facility if they’re still around. I have a decent collection of tools, but I need to use two pieces of equipment that i don’t own.

Does this place sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The only reason our school still has an AG class is because we're a farming community. No Shop classes left. When I was at the High School, we had wood shop, Metal shop, automotive, and the Ag class

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No idea but I love this idea.

What tools do you need?

A large band saw and a planer.
    I have a 6.5” X 8” white oak barn beam that I want to basically mill into 1.5” slabs and make a few cutting/serving boards. Wifey and I bought an 11’ hand hewn beam out of a dismantled 1840s barn to make a fireplace mantel, which turned out great, and there’s a few feet left over I’d like to utilize.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A large band saw and a planer.
    I have a 6.5” X 8” white oak barn beam that I want to basically mill into 1.5” slabs and make a few cutting/serving boards. Wifey and I bought an 11’ hand hewn beam out of a dismantled 1840s barn to make a fireplace mantel, which turned out great, and there’s a few feet left over I’d like to utilize.

Those tools will certainly do the job better but if you simply cannot find access to them... You can make a jig to use a chainsaw into a sawmill. Google homemade chainsaw mill. My uncle did this when I was younger for a project. It works if you are pretty handy, skilled, and experienced enough to be safe.

This would preclude the need for a band saw, you would still need a planer or a belt sander and a lot of time.

IMG_2581-2-1024x576.png

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I think they may have what you are looking for at the Columbus senior center. Give them a call they may be able to help you out.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Give Northwest Lumber a call and see if they would do it for you. Might cost more than the tools, but at least it might be an option.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I'm not sure VUPD, but I think JHB just called you "old"! :):

Nah In the old days when I had to work for a living I did what ever it took to get the job done. The boss would just scratch his head and say yea you couldn't complete the task but he did.:):

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Yeah I don’t blame them either. The barn my beam came from was all mortise joints so no nails, but that was at the time it was built. I have no idea what happened in there over the last 150 years.

Top Bottom