Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Service Upgrade - Cost?

User Info Menu

Electrical Service Upgrade - Cost?

I am going to be getting hooked up to a city sanitary sewer system in the near future (currently on septic). That will require the installation of a grinder pump. My current electrical service is 100 amps, but it's a fuse box, not a breaker panel. The people hooking up the sewer service are offering a "discounted rate" for upgrading to a 200 amp service, and from what I understand, it will be approximately $1300 for the upgrade.

I've contacted Frye Electric to get a second estimate. My question is, what should I expect to pay for this upgrade? Is $1300 a good price? Does anyone have experience with Frye? All I know about them is what I've seen in their commercials where they claim to typically charge about half of what other electrical contractors. Naturally I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

Shooter

User Info Menu

The price doesn't seem terrible but I've never done it. Something that will come into play is can the service drop from the pole handle the 200 amp service? I'm guessing it's an older house, there's a small chance that they only sized the drop for 100 amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post
    The price doesn't seem terrible but I've never done it. Something that will come into play is can the service drop from the pole handle the 200 amp service? I'm guessing it's an older house, there's a small chance that they only sized the drop for 100 amps.
    Yeah, that was mentioned on Frye's website, but it sounds like that IPL would do that at no cost to me if necessary. I think they coordinate all that stuff with them. Also mentioned that I'd need a larger meter base as well. My buddy's parents live behind me and they just had all this done. He told me that the $1300 price was less than he could even buy all the parts/equipment to do it himself. I just have no idea. I figured it wasn't going to be cheap no matter what.

User Info Menu

All depends on what is included:
    - Service from the pole (this is typically IPL)
    - new meter (Also IPL)
    - new breaker box and all the breakers
    - Need a new feed from the meter to the breaker/fuse box?
    - The wiring in good enough shape (and long enough) to work with the new breakers?
    - labor for all of the above

IIRC: 200 amp service has a different base rate as well. Your monthly bill may be higher. Definitely worth double checking before getting a surprise.

My in-laws converted an early 1900's house from glass fuses to modern breakers. NOT cheap. But, it was all knob and tube, and no one would touch it unless upgraded to modern wiring. Sounds like yours at least has more modern wiring, so not nearly as bad.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

That is a fair price for an electrician to do the work.
    200 Amp service panel/breakers/romex fittings and all the Etc's are near to half that money or better.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure the house wiring is good to go (no knob and tube for sure). It was originally a 60 amp service but I think Dad had it upgraded to 100 amp back in the early 70's when he converted the existing garage to the family room and added on a new garage to the front. The garage has its own box (breakers), but it's fed from the main house box. Guess I'll see what Frye has to say, but it seems like the deal through the guys doing the sewer work may be the way I'll go.

User Info Menu

I would take the 1300.00 price. I used to charge 2k or so. I have not done any for a few year because I have no time between my job and the wifes dental practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post
    I would take the 1300.00 price. I used to charge 2k or so. I have not done any for a few year because I have no time between my job and the wifes dental practice.
    I think IPL/Citizens Energy have some kind of deal with this whole process too, which is where the discounted price comes from. That wouldn't be the case if I go with another contractor, so most likely that's what I'll do.

User Info Menu

I paid $1,200 to switch from an old 200 amp to an updated 200 amp.

User Info Menu

I have done quite a few upgrades. Parts cost can vary greatly depending on your current set up. For smaller jobs $1300 is a fair starting price. I'd say average I a bit more $18-2500. Once again its hard to say with out running through the job. Over the phone estimates are nearly worthless.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast