DECEMBER 7, 1941 PEARL HARBOR ATTACKED! Never Forget!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Today is the 78th anniversary of the unprovoked attack by the Japanese on the U.S. Naval Base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

We must Never Forget the Men & Women who died there and who are still living with the physical and emotional scars from that day and what it lead into for our Nation.

Those who forget the past are bound to repeat it.

God Bless the fallen may they Rest in Peace.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You da man TT! :patriot:

I just listened to the "Infamy speech" delivered by FDR after the attack.

day-of-infamy-speech-draft-620.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You da man TT! :patriot:

I just listened to the "Infamy speech" delivered by FDR after the attack.

day-of-infamy-speech-draft-620.jpg

I'll do you one better and post the video:

[video=youtube;lK8gYGg0dkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8gYGg0dkE[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll be honest - I forgot. :(

Wife: "Why are flags at half mast?"
    Me: "I dunno."

To be fair, I was driving to Best Buy prepared to do battle over a broken TV... my state of mind was... slightly unhinged.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That date and so many others are just engrained into me. Id forget my own birthday before I will ever forget Pearl Harbor anniversary day.
    No dig on anyone else, its just me

I had forgotten myself.

We studied Pearl Harbor briefly in school, the focus was more on the battles taking place in the European theater.

I won't forget D-Day or 9/11 (our generation's Pearl Harbor) though.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yeah 9/11 certainly shaped a new world. Hard to believe but its true

I was in 8th grade study hall when the towers were hit. I knew whatever happened was a big deal, I was just too young to understand the long term effects it would have on our freedoms. They accomplished what they set out to do... change America. It’s forever changed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was in 8th grade study hall when the towers were hit. I knew whatever happened was a big deal, I was just too young to understand the long term effects it would have on our freedoms. They accomplished what they set out to do... change America. It’s forever changed.
    So true. I remember D.C before 9/11. So much less restrictive. I was sent to Afghanistan the next month after the attack but when I got home and hit D.C again it was a different city. I remember thinking that this was the modern version of a civil war era D.C (1861) or maybe what it had been like after lincoln was shot.
    Just no playing around at all, serious business and no joy.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

Math class 11th grade, 17 1/2... wanted to ship out that day. Parents convinced me to finish school.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Math class 11th grade, 17 1/2... wanted to ship out that day. Parents convinced me to finish school.

I'm not sure.
    But they usually require a high school diploma.

Things vary over time, but at that moment they probably hadn't adjusted that rule... if they did.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was fortunate enough to have the chance to be at the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX on Pearl Harbor Day.

There was a very nice ceremony remembering the events of that day.

vwtHChY.jpg

v8fjxoU.jpg

Among the artifacts on display is a hatch from the USS Arizona that is still clearly stained with the oil that was in the water. The hole that is in it was cut by workers looking for survivors.

YX8mDz8.jpg

The museum also has one of the 5 Japanese midget subs that were used during the attacks. This particular one ran aground due to a malfunctioning compass. One of the crew members drowned, and the other became the first Japanese POW of the war. The sub went on a War Bond tour of the US during the war before being neglected for many years, it was saved by the museum. If you are ever near Fredericksburg, it is well worth the time.

8FuTXQV.jpg

qcXkKU4.jpg

vkgE6PA.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The museum also has one of the 5 Japanese midget subs that were used during the attacks. This particular one ran aground due to a malfunctioning compass. One of the crew members drowned, and the other became the first Japanese POW of the war. The sub went on a War Bond tour of the US during the war before being neglected for many years, it was saved by the museum. If you are ever near Fredericksburg, it is well worth the time.

8FuTXQV.jpg

qcXkKU4.jpg

vkgE6PA.jpg

Wow, I didn't know the Japanese were using midgets in their submarines. Those evil bastards! ;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Notice the difference between the battleship sailors and the submarine sailors...

[video=youtube_share;VrhQsA1bEgs]https://youtu.be/VrhQsA1bEgs[/video]

Top Bottom