Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Now I think about it, Never driven 500miles in a day and needed an immediate recharge. Id need a recharge before the vehicle would, whether it be food, sleep, or stretching my legs; in which I would fuel at this time.

new business idea= Tesla Taco Hut: quick bites while you charge. 😄

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Percolater View Post
    Now I think about it, Never driven 500miles in a day and needed an immediate recharge. Id need a recharge before the vehicle would, whether it be food, sleep, or stretching my legs; in which I would fuel at this time.

new business idea= Tesla Taco Hut: quick bites while you charge. 
    I think in the future more restaurants and entertainment centers might have recharging stations. EVs will likely overtake gasoline/diesel vehicles eventually.
    I have spoken.
    If youre woke you dig it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    I think in the future more restaurants and entertainment centers might have recharging stations. EVs will likely overtake gasoline/diesel vehicles eventually.
    Eventually.

But, then we'll have to figure out what to do with all the dead batteries.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Plinker

User Info Menu

inEVitably...
    Speaking with all the youngsters this holiday season, they all want and know about Teslas. They are the future.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Eventually.

But, then we'll have to figure out what to do with all the dead batteries.
    Theyll figure it out, similar to when first refining oil and utilizing all the waste (minus emissions). Certainly, its part of their regulatory in R&D, manufacturing, and quality control.

Sounds like they still arent having a significant amount of end of life batteries coming back. (Impressive for 10 years production.) Once they do, pressure will be on them to figure it out.

note to self... invest in third party battery recyclers🤑

User Info Menu

I have been looking at battery info like crazy. It is amazing how much info is out there to digest. Off grid electric storage is has gone crazy high tech. Jeep has a hybrid that lets their 4 cylinder option out torque their larger ICE offerings. There are multiple Electric motorcycle companies doing impressive work. Electric bicycles are moving too. I want to build an electric bicycle for running around Indianapolis in 2020. Prices for the parts have gotten cheap. The part about thick panel shapes being limited is not as limited as imagined. I worked for an automotive stamping plant. Very thick metal can be stamped with the right process. Heated panels are already being stamped in the industry. Musk can have whatever shape he wants. Will there be enough redneck Rivian owners to make them real trucks? 250,000 electric trucks, what effect will that have on the electrical infrastructure? That electric to charge batteries will be coming from coal power plants. Trucks will still be rolling coal.
    "Trust but verify!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
    I have been looking at battery info like crazy. It is amazing how much info is out there to digest. Off grid electric storage is has gone crazy high tech. Jeep has a hybrid that lets their 4 cylinder option out torque their larger ICE offerings. There are multiple Electric motorcycle companies doing impressive work. Electric bicycles are moving too. I want to build an electric bicycle for running around Indianapolis in 2020. Prices for the parts have gotten cheap. The part about thick panel shapes being limited is not as limited as imagined. I worked for an automotive stamping plant. Very thick metal can be stamped with the right process. Heated panels are already being stamped in the industry. Musk can have whatever shape he wants. Will there be enough redneck Rivian owners to make them real trucks? 250,000 electric trucks, what effect will that have on the electrical infrastructure? That electric to charge batteries will be coming from coal power plants. Trucks will still be rolling coal.
    The power grid will definitely need upgrading. Nuclear power is the way to go I think.
    I have spoken.
    If youre woke you dig it.

User Info Menu

Last year, California passed a building code requiring all new construction to have grid-tie PV.

This will provide more power to the grid without PG&E needing to spend the capital to build (ha!) additional generating plants.

While EVs do have impressive instant torque, the issue when compared to a modern gas or diesel truck is going to be how they perform under load. While many pickups are simply grocery getters, I use mine for towing a travel trailer, mower, UTV, tractor, etc....towing with an EV is going to cut rated range by half to 2/3 requiring much greater charging infrastructure as well as the ability to charge with a trailer hooked.

We're not remotely there yet, but I'm totally cool with letting folks in upper income brackets who want a status symbol beta test the technology toward refinement.

Also: based on weights, Cybertruck is going to be a class 2b truck, more in line with a F250 or 2500HD than any half ton.
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

That's already the direction they are going. I spent some time on the Tesla charging webpage. In addition to the Tesla Supercharger "stations", there are a surprising # of "destination" chargers at restaurants, hotels, clubs and shopping malls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Percolater View Post

new business idea= Tesla Taco Hut: quick bites while you charge. 
    I've done a lot of long range driving trips. 650-750 miles in a day. And you are right, you need some sort of breaks in it. If you can properly plan the trip and charging stations are relatively conveniently located, these breaks would be easy to build in to your trip plan. If the battery were truly rated at 500 miles, I'd probably be looking to recharge after using, say, ~300 miles off the battery, and only look to add, say, ~200 to 250 miles of charge. Assuming the quoted 1,000 mile/hour charge time is only at a portion of the charge cycle, if it averaged out to 400 miles/hour that would allow a break of ~30 minutes. Not bad and that is in line with refueling/feeding/bathroom/stretching breaks that I usually take anyway.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast