Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 136
  1. #111
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I've done a lot of long range driving trips. 650-750 miles in a day. And you are right, you need some sort of breaks in it. If you can properly plan the trip and charging stations are relatively conveniently located, these breaks would be easy to build in to your trip plan. If the battery were truly rated at 500 miles, I'd probably be looking to recharge after using, say, ~300 miles off the battery, and only look to add, say, ~200 to 250 miles of charge. Assuming the quoted 1,000 mile/hour charge time is only at a portion of the charge cycle, if it averaged out to 400 miles/hour that would allow a break of ~30 minutes. Not bad and that is in line with refueling/feeding/bathroom/stretching breaks that I usually take anyway.
    I'm in somewhat the same situation, but with closer to 900 mile drives to western KS. I've tried to justify electric just like you, but I'd have to take a different route and drop down to I-70 to stay near chargers. This would add another 75 miles to the route. Coupled with needing to charge for between 60 and 90 minutes in the trip, it would add a significant amount of time to the trip. Even if I accepted that, my last trip wouldn't have even been possible w/ an electric as I was coming back through Kansas City during the storm on Dec 15. by going north at KC and across US36/I72 I stayed out of the ice along I70 and was able to make it back (albeit it took 50% longer than normal). With electric, I can't currently take that route as there is NO charging available between KC and Springfield IL. Even there it isn't high speed. Coupled to the reduced range due to cold, I would have been stuck.

    I've wanted an electric vehicle for 30+ years, but cannot justify one with the current crop of vehicles and infrastructure. As I take 4 to 5 similar trips/year, renting for the trip isn't cost effective either. However, I am glad for the early adopters that are paying for the technology improvements so someday it may be possible for me.
    --Rick

  2. #112
    Master Hawkeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by schmart View Post
    I'm in somewhat the same situation, but with closer to 900 mile drives to western KS. I've tried to justify electric just like you, but I'd have to take a different route and drop down to I-70 to stay near chargers. This would add another 75 miles to the route. Coupled with needing to charge for between 60 and 90 minutes in the trip, it would add a significant amount of time to the trip. Even if I accepted that, my last trip wouldn't have even been possible w/ an electric as I was coming back through Kansas City during the storm on Dec 15. by going north at KC and across US36/I72 I stayed out of the ice along I70 and was able to make it back (albeit it took 50% longer than normal). With electric, I can't currently take that route as there is NO charging available between KC and Springfield IL. Even there it isn't high speed. Coupled to the reduced range due to cold, I would have been stuck.

    I've wanted an electric vehicle for 30+ years, but cannot justify one with the current crop of vehicles and infrastructure. As I take 4 to 5 similar trips/year, renting for the trip isn't cost effective either. However, I am glad for the early adopters that are paying for the technology improvements so someday it may be possible for me.
    --Rick
    I hear you. Rural areas are kind of gray right now. The closest Supercharger to me is ~ 45 miles one-way so I'd generally be relying on my home charger for daily stuff. There is one destination charger in town, currently. Most of the longer drives that I have looked into are along interstates so there is reasonable coverage for me on those trips. And that is based on today's charger map. I'd expect it to get better over the next couple of years before the CyberTruck is available.

  3. #113
    rvb
    rvb is offline
    Grandmaster rvb's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Iím waiting for a locomotive shaped like a truck. Trains donít use their diesel to make it go, they make electricity to make it it go. Put this in a truck. I want the torque, individual wheel control etc that comes from electric, but I want to be able to tow my camper through the Appalachians without taking an hour to recharge after an hour of towing. A small diesel could recharge batteries while driving or directly power the motors. it would be possible to make it across the country towing a huge load without stopping all on a few gallons of fossil fuel. Why isnít this being done?
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

  4. #114
    Grandmaster actaeon277's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    Iím waiting for a locomotive shaped like a truck. Trains donít use their diesel to make it go, they make electricity to make it it go. Put this in a truck. I want the torque, individual wheel control etc that comes from electric, but I want to be able to tow my camper through the Appalachians without taking an hour to recharge after an hour of towing. A small diesel could recharge batteries while driving or directly power the motors. it would be possible to make it across the country towing a huge load without stopping all on a few gallons of fossil fuel. Why isnít this being done?
    Space/Weight/Costs
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

    ďWe can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.Ē -Plato

    "A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

    If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs


  5. #115
    rvb
    rvb is offline
    Grandmaster rvb's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Space/Weight/Costs
    I donít think space and weight would be a problem in a pickup sized vehicle. Especially since there are gas / battery hybrids in sedan
    sized vehicles now.

    edit : if they can do it in this little trailer, they can fit it in a pickup truck (and most of the trailer is storage)
    https://www.wired.com/2010/11/range-...ies-your-gear/
    Last edited by rvb; 12-28-2019 at 17:45.
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

  6. #116
    Master Hawkeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    I donít think space and weight would be a problem in a pickup sized vehicle. Especially since there are gas / battery hybrids in sedan
    sized vehicles now.

    edit : if they can do it in this little trailer, they can fit it in a pickup truck (and most of the trailer is storage)
    https://www.wired.com/2010/11/range-...ies-your-gear/
    Now that is interesting. From Waukarusa, too. But the article is from 2010 and nothing seems to have come of it, so I'm guessing the idea did not pan out.

  7. #117
    Master Hawkeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Space/Weight/Costs
    I'd say weight/ space then cost. Not to dissimilar in concept from hybrids, except most hybrids rely almost solely on the ICE at highway speed and the electric only at lower speeds. Also consider the target demographics and the "mission" of the EV company - not likely to be too much of an attraction to them.

  8. #118
    Master avboiler11's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    First generation Chevy Volts are electric cars with a gas generator that provides extended range when necessary.

    No reason this can't be applied to other vehicles.
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

  9. #119
    Master Hawkeye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    First generation Chevy Volts are electric cars with a gas generator that provides extended range when necessary.

    No reason this can't be applied to other vehicles.
    No reason except those mentioned above.

    Has this been a particularly successful vehicle? Battery range is very limited, seems to be good only for short trips/commuting. How long does it take to recharge using the onboard generator?

  10. #120
    Master avboiler11's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    No reason except those mentioned above.

    Has this been a particularly successful vehicle? Battery range is very limited, seems to be good only for short trips/commuting. How long does it take to recharge using the onboard generator?
    There wasn't much elaboration above, especially with regards to use in pickup trucks which offer a lot more real estate than a compact car.

    Tesla is claiming their top end Cybertruck would have 500mi of unloaded range, which would take a large and heavy battery pack (and why the truck's GVWR is going to be in SD/HD and not half ton territory). Why not have a smaller battery pack, say something with 200-250mi unloaded range, and a small fuel generator with modest fuel tank to extend range, especially when under load?

    Assuming a 100kWh battery pack provides 250mi unloaded range, that's 4-5 hours endurance. The Volt has a 1.4L gas generator rated for 55kW and an 8.9gal fuel tank. Now I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'd think a similar setup, even in a larger/heavier vehicle, would allow the torque and around-town benefits of an EV while mitigating their range compromises, especially under load.

    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge