What you guys think about this electric truck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sorry if this has been posted...I am sure you have all seen the Tesla "truck" that is ugly and don't look like a truck at all. This is a truck that the company who bought Lordstown, Ohio GM plant is producing. I have always thought electric vehicles were a joke, but I am seriously debating on this one. Wonder if you can write off mileage on these just like a gas vehicle? I usually take the mileage allowance on taxes instead of writing off price of vehicle. You figure if you get .55 or whatever it is a mile...and drive 50,000 miles a year that's a $25,000+ a year write off....but in my current truck it would cost me at $2.50 a gallon and 12 MPG, $11,000 a year in fuel alone, plus tires and other maintenance, so you really don't get much for the cost of the vehicle.

I am wondering what it costs to charge these? Will the IRS let you write of mileage even though you are buying no fuel? Does the State offer rebates on electric vehicles?

What you guys think? Here it is. https://electrek.co/2018/01/09/workhorse-opens-reservation-electric-pickup-truck/

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Buying no fuel? The charge on the batteries from the factory won't last long. I'm assuming you mean buying no gas or diesel. Somebody is still paying to "fill the tank" even if it's plugged into the wall. Unless you're a Dr in which case you just plug it in while at work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does anyone know if the charging stations outside of Beechgrove Walmart cost anything?

Do they even work? Im there at least once a week and have NEVER EVER EVER seen a car using it.

NEVER.

I've wondered about those too. I mean, even if they do work, doesn't it typically take a few hours to charge a car? WTH are you going to do in that Walmart for long enough to charge up your vehicle? I mean, you can only watch so many shampoo aisle wrestling matches. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That looks for all the world like some other vehicle with a mid-'90s kit car body and a hybrid drivetrain dropped in. Kinda like how the first Tesla roadster was a Lotus with electrics dropped in.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do they even work? Im there at least once a week and have NEVER EVER EVER seen a car using it.

NEVER.
    You should drive the extra two miles to Meijer. :abused: I don't think the demographic for that Walmart would own an electric vehicle.

Electric "trucks" are targeted at all the people who buy a truck, put a bed cover on it, and rarely load it up with anything other than groceries and a 2x4. Range will be super short if towing or loading it down with stuff in the bed.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This Tesla monstrosity is just silly. But a fully electric F150 is on the horizon. The new fully electric new Mustang MachE will be here soon. Hybrids options are starting to show up in more and more vehicles. The future is hybrid and full electric. And that's a good thing.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This Tesla monstrosity is just silly. But a fully electric F150 is on the horizon. The new fully electric new Mustang MachE will be here soon. Hybrids options are starting to show up in more and more vehicles. The future is hybrid and full electric. And that's a good thing.

tagging for debunking when time permits

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We are within a few years of battery technology that will allow for range without anxiety for everyday use...but until charging technology allows for a full charge in 15 minutes or so.....

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    tagging for debunking when time permits

luck.gif

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We are within a few years of battery technology that will allow for range without anxiety for everyday use...but until charging technology allows for a full charge in 15 minutes or so.....
    I'm not even sure that would do it. Unless range is in the 500 - 600 mile level. As it is I can drive 500 - 600 miles, fill a 24 gallon tank in ~5 minutes and drive another 500 - 600 miles. And I don't even have to plan my trip around fuel stations, I know there will be one when I need it. My range also won't change significantly because it's cold or hot, etc... Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and it would be more economical to daily drive electric and then rent for longer trips.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm not even sure that would do it. Unless range is in the 500 - 600 mile level. As it is I can drive 500 - 600 miles, fill a 24 gallon tank in ~5 minutes and drive another 500 - 600 miles. And I don't even have to plan my trip around fuel stations, I know there will be one when I need it. My range also won't change significantly because it's cold or hot, etc... Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and it would be more economical to daily drive electric and then rent for longer trips.

Cybertruck Trimotor is rated at a 500 mile battery.

Top Bottom