Anyone using laser cutter/engraver for hobby projects?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just bought a K40 laser system from amazon. I also bought a rotary attachment to do round things like tumblers. Hoping to do some cool work. The acrylic cutting/marking is fascinating to me. Especially when you drop it in an LED light stand. Hopefully I can post some work soon.

I'd love to get into 3D printing too but I'm a bit intimidated. Maybe this will help me jump in.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I did a test fire today and it put a hole where I roughly expected it. Yay!

going to add the interlock switch to kill power if you open up the three doors. Gotta keep laser shielded and the power stuff away from kid fingers.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I abandoned reason last year and jumped into a laser cutter head first with an Orion slightly larger than the K40. Hard to justify a need for it, just wanted it and have yet to regret doing it.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I want one of those big laser engravers that can do stippling on polymer gun parts. OooOOOOooooo.

That'd be a heck of a side hustle.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Will it etch stainless?

mine will not. Only 40W. You can use it to vaporize anodized coatings off stainless to leave a negative image. You can also mark it using a transfer material like Cermark if you want to add black writing to it.

you need a “fiber laser” if you want to mark PMAGs. Mine would just melt them

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Starting to get it dialed in. I’m having a few issues with x-axis skipping though. And USB timeouts which are annoying. Once I get my ventilation done I’ll try cutting acrylic.

this is poster board

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Found my linear rails and bearings performed better which can be cause for axis chatter/skipping once the heavy grease they were shipped with was cleaned off and replaced with light machine oil, your results may vary.

Good luck with acrylic, the lingering odor was too great to overcome here, it's been banned at this domicile.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah! How did you do the tumbler? Coat it and then use the laser to eat away the coating for the lettering?

The tumblers are either painted or anodized. The laser removes that and exposes the stainless. I also used a marking compound to add black to stainless as in the next pic. Wherever laser hits it transfers. This is a marlin my friend drew and I added his boat name

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'll be building a 2'x4' working area co2 laser in the next couple months...that's the plan anyways.

Top Bottom