• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    So the wife and I decide to head out to Ashley furniture in Merrillville around 10:30 Sunday morning. We are looking for a recliner chair for our front room. This is after a rather frustrating experience with a local furniture store. Placing an order in September, still getting the run around last week. So we told them to pound sand and got our money back. Anyway we get the chair we like at Ashley. Start to head hone taking Mississippi northbound. Get to about the second intersection and we hear police sirens coming our way in the same direction. We are waiting at a stop light and all of sudden an SUV goes between the left and right lane. Crashing into the truck behind us then hitting our 4 month old 2019 Cherokee in the driver side left rear quarter panel then taking off the driver side mirror. The vehicle proceeds on Mississippi with about 10 squads from various Lake county agencies in pursuit. A Merrillville cops stops and checks on the guy in the truck and us. We were good, a guy and his family stopped to check on us. And gave me his personal contact info as a witness as to what happened. Pretty frigging stand up. I go check on the guy in the truck, he is good. Merrillville cop comes back to get our info for a report. Apparently the person fleeing did something by the mall. When they tried to flee they almost ran over a police office. Thus the large contingent in pursuit. Ended up crashing in the roundabout, taking out more cars. They were apprehended there. The vehicle can be repaired, the most important thing is no one was injured at least by us. Not sure what happened down the road, hopefully no one was hurt.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So the wife and I decide to head out to Ashley furniture in Merrillville around 10:30 Sunday morning. We are looking for a recliner chair for our front room. This is after a rather frustrating experience with a local furniture store. Placing an order in September, still getting the run around last week. So we told them to pound sand and got our money back. Anyway we get the chair we like at Ashley. Start to head hone taking Mississippi northbound. Get to about the second intersection and we hear police sirens coming our way in the same direction. We are waiting at a stop light and all of sudden an SUV goes between the left and right lane. Crashing into the truck behind us then hitting our 4 month old 2019 Cherokee in the driver side left rear quarter panel then taking off the driver side mirror. The vehicle proceeds on Mississippi with about 10 squads from various Lake county agencies in pursuit. A Merrillville cops stops and checks on the guy in the truck and us. We were good, a guy and his family stopped to check on us. And gave me his personal contact info as a witness as to what happened. Pretty frigging stand up. I go check on the guy in the truck, he is good. Merrillville cop comes back to get our info for a report. Apparently the person fleeing did something by the mall. When they tried to flee they almost ran over a police office. Thus the large contingent in pursuit. Ended up crashing in the roundabout, taking out more cars. They were apprehended there. The vehicle can be repaired, the most important thing is no one was injured at least by us. Not sure what happened down the road, hopefully no one was hurt.

Glad to hear all is as good as it can be. I am guessing Merriville is on a downward slide? We have been gone from the area 5 years now and was just wondering.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Glad you guys are ok. Heard about this while we were out and about today. Knew it was a police chase with crash at roundabout but didnt know there were several vehicles involved prior to that. Again, glad you're ok

Last edited:

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    I only find myself in the mall area with my better half on the weekends we need to do shopping there. I will never leave my home without protection when doing so. These incidents of violence are happening too often in that area. Im sorry to hear you were caught up in it but am extremely grateful you and yours are okay. From gang related shootings at that walmart to multiple robberies and chases, I may have to start shopping further away to stay away from that hot mess.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I only find myself in the mall area with my better half on the weekends we need to do shopping there. I will never leave my home without protection when doing so. These incidents of violence are happening too often in that area. Im sorry to hear you were caught up in it but am extremely grateful you and yours are okay. From gang related shootings at that walmart to multiple robberies and chases, I may have to start shopping further away to stay away from that hot mess.

Thanks man, trust me I was carrying. And we mostly stay in the Porter county area. In thinking about it, what if they rear ended us. Then try to take our vehicle. It could of potentially turned real bad. Our oldest son and DIL were over for dinner Sunday. He is a cop for a Porter county department. He admitted to us that he has pulled his gun in 2019 alone more than the 7 combined years he has been a cop.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Glad all is well. It is good to raise respiration and heart rate occasionally.

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    Thats rough news to hear. Makes you feel like criminals around here are becoming more brazen like they are in chicago. I hear a big problem right now is goons running rampant along michigan avenue of all places. Thank god our second amendment isn't spit on in this state like it is over there. These threats are too close to home now, and I would be lying if I said it hasnt affected my decisions on where I spend my free time and money.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I travel that road and area almost daily. You never know whats possible till you are knee deep. Stay vigilant, armed to the teeth, despite what anti-gun newspaper NWI Times says, its getting rough out there. Understand fully the active pursuit policy of LEOs, and that drivers become victims in a nano-second! Christmas coming on, it's opening the door to all the scumbags to rob and pillage us, the victims.

OP, glad you weren't seriously hurt, or carjacked. Your vehicle damage can be fixed, but Ouch! The insurance deductible hurts and not like a simple fender bender, where 2 insured parties meet.

I'm retired LEO, and can honestly say it is everywhere, anytime.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, hope many read this and reminds us all to "smell the coffee". Please travel safely, enjoy your holidays with family, carry your lawful firearm, cell phone, even a first aid kit.
    There are lot of decent people out there, and never enough Watch Dogs!
    Again, Good luck.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I love that color.
    1405715792007-phxdc5-6g47h6pu59hd69b7lqx-original.jpg

COLOR-33_xlarge.jpg

mg_9277.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    see what you porter county residents get when you come to lake county. Mama said daddy was a no good 4 timing cheat and we have to be nice to our 1/2 siblings from porter county but ya need to stay away. :p

So which was the furniture store that did you wrong to begin with?

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    S Apparently the person fleeing did something by the mall. When they tried to flee they almost ran over a police office. Thus the large contingent in pursuit. Ended up crashing in the roundabout, taking out more cars. They were apprehended there.

And now for the first time in recorded history, a roundabout came in useful for something... :)

Top Bottom