• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I know there's been a few posts about the Tesla CT, but I've not seen a dedicated thread. I'll post some links/articles as I have time to, but feel free to post away!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Elon posted a link to a new shirt they're selling... based on the Cybertruck "mishap" with the window.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/men_s-cybertruck-bulletproof-tee?sku=7654399-00-A

EOQqKhnUYAAmHVU

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Supposedly will tow from 7500# to 14,000#, depending on configuration. Puts it in the same range as a modern 1500 or 2500 series pickup.

Claims a range of 250 to 500 miles. I think my diesel has an empty range of 525 miles and a loaded range (hand calced by me) of about 300 miles. Of course, I can refill in about 5 minutes. Not sure how fast the Tesla will recharge.

6.5' bed is on par with most short bed trucks.

Appears to be a unibody / monocoque type contruction. More similar to a Honda Ridgeline or the old Jeep Comanche, than a body-on-frame pickup truck.

Definitely fast. Anywhere from 6.5 to 4.5 seconds 0-60 MPH. Gotta love electric motor torque. Guessing it will handle the above towing capacity nicely, at least from a power standpoint. Wonder how the unibody will stand up to real-world truck use, along with the fancy air suspension and the likes.

I guess if one needed a truck "around town" for short trips, this would fit the bill. Towing cross-country would rely on charging station placement, and time-to-charge.

Wonder how water, dust, and vibration proof all the electronics are?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So we're going to have a topic dedicated to a future vehicle, the announcement of which is, at least partially, designed to distract us from the fact that there is not yet any roadster (announced Dec. 2016), semi (announced Nov. '17) or model Y (announced March 2019).

I've participated in threads with less connection to reality- I'm in.

Oh, if they can realize those towing numbers AND, while max towing get anywhere close to a 200 mile range, I'll eat my NRA hat.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The thing looks like the product of an illegitimate union of a Honda Ridgeline and a DeLorean.

Edit: After looking at the website and reviewing the features and performance, I have to admit I kind of like it. If only I had an extra $75k lying around...

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, I preordered an Elio (I knew it was a non-refundable $100 flyer when I did it) and got a collectors item t-shirt and sticker so far...

But this didn’t stop me from preordering a Cybertruck just now. This $100 deposit is refundable and if Elon Musk can launch recoverable rockets and Starlink satellites as well as plan manned missions to Mars I’m betting he can deliver this vehicle. I’m not in a hurry and willing to let the half a million people ahead of me be the beta testers.

tbtausen and I are also going for a test drive this weekend, probably a Model Y. And I know someone else with a Model Y who will let me drive his anytime I want. I love the rumble of a big V-8 as much as anyone but the prospect of the Cybertruck is pretty compelling.

Anyone else on INGO in line for a Cybertruck? I preordered the whole enchilada: tri-motor with the self-driving option. You only live once!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, I preordered an Elio (I knew it was a non-refundable $100 flyer when I did it) and got a collectors item t-shirt and sticker so far...

But this didn’t stop me from preordering a Cybertruck just now. This $100 deposit is refundable and if Elon Musk can launch recoverable rockets and Starlink satellites as well as plan manned missions to Mars I’m betting he can deliver this vehicle. I’m not in a hurry and willing to let the half a million people ahead of me be the beta testers.

tbtausen and I are also going for a test drive this weekend, probably a Model Y. And I know someone else with a Model Y who will let me drive his anytime I want. I love the rumble of a big V-8 as much as anyone but the prospect of the Cybertruck is pretty compelling.

Anyone else on INGO in line for a Cybertruck? I preordered the whole enchilada: tri-motor with the self-driving option. You only live once!
    I preorderd the tri w FSD in '19.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m resurrecting this thread now that the Cybertruck is close to production-ready. Has anyone been following the development of this vehicle?

Some of the prototypes seen in California and Texas looked pretty rough around the edges but the latest pictures make the thing look pretty well put together.

I’m getting excited to see the first deliveries and real-world reviews. I’ll wait another couple years for them to iron out the bugs and make refinements before my number comes up.

Lots of close-ups in this video:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Claims a range of 250 to 500 miles. I think my diesel has an empty range of 525 miles and a loaded range (hand calced by me) of about 300 miles. Of course, I can refill in about 5 minutes. Not sure how fast the Tesla will recharge.
    Sure as hell not 5 minutes.

As one who owned a Town and Country with a jacked up fuel vent (so common you couldnt find a salvage tank to save your life, and you had to buy OEM tanks to get the pump assembly because they didnt sell it by itself :spend: :xmad:) and who didnt have the funds at the time for a new tank, Standing around trickling your fuel into the storage mechanism SUUUUUUUUCKS. It would take me 5-10 mins to fill the tank. Some days even latching the pump on the first notch was too much and would make the pump turn off.

I cant imagine sitting around for 30 minutes to top off my tank.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sure as hell not 5 minutes.

As one who owned a Town and Country with a jacked up fuel vent (so common you couldnt find a salvage tank to save your life, and you had to buy OEM tanks to get the pump assembly because they didnt sell it by itself :spend: :xmad:) and who didnt have the funds at the time for a new tank, Standing around trickling your fuel into the storage mechanism SUUUUUUUUCKS. It would take me 5-10 mins to fill the tank. Some days even latching the pump on the first notch was too much and would make the pump turn off.

I cant imagine sitting around for 30 minutes to top off my tank.
    I know several people who commute using EV‘s and most of them plug them in at home overnight and always leave for work with a full charge. One of them is a really analytical CNC programmer, and he says his Model Y costs about half as much to fill as most cars.

But for me, any of that stuff is beside the point. It’s not about saving the planet, I know better.

Most EV’s probably have a negative impact on our so-called “carbon footprint“.

Most EV’s end up being more expensive per mile to buy and maintain then conventional vehicles.

Many EV’s turn out to be a royal pain in the ass for their owners in ways one can only understand once they take the ownership plunge.

Range anxiety is real and most EV’s don’t get their advertised range, or in some cases, even close to it.

Technology is moving at a fast pace, and today’s EV might be rendered obsolete by better technology in the future.

But I don’t give a ****. If I can afford it when my number comes up, I will buy it. Why? Because it’s radical, totally edgy, and absolutely hauls ass. And the body and chassis should far outlast many not-so-old rust-bucket pickups you see on the road these days.

I’ve owned many ordinary, plain Jane vehicles in my day. Everything from Chrysler minivans to Honda Accords and Civics. I’m pushing 60 and it’s time to break the mold. I’m ready to shed a little common sense for something with a bit more emotional appeal and that is what I see in the Cybertruck.

When I was a kid, we had several old pickup trucks, and International Harvester, Scout, and an old Jeep. Driving those vehicles was a lot of fun and the Cybertruck harkens back to those days with a lot of flare, utility and technology thrown in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So true CB. They are shifting the carbon footprint elsewhere. Like a mob boss telling an underling to go murder a rival. A person is still dying, but its not the boss doing the killing so he feels smug knowing he isnt killing anyone.

like the head of GM electric getting pantsed by an astute journalist that had to drag it out of her that her beloved "green" EV runs on "dirty coal".
    "So where does the electricity come from?"
    "This cord!"
    Where is that cord plugged in?"
    "This building!"
    "And where does the building get the power?"
    "From the utility!"
    "OK, How is that power being generated?"
    "Ummmm. The power company?"
    "And how do they generate that power?"
    "I am not entirely positive."
    "They burn coal to generate that electricity, ma'am. I'm pretty sure about that."
    A local power company representative was on hand to confirm that indeed, that building (and car) is coal powered. :laugh:
    (all quotes above are paraphrased)

And dont even get me started on the cobalt mines using child labor to harvest the mineral needed for those batteries...

EDIT: And to be clear, IDC whether you buy one or not. Or whether you are being green or not. You do you. As long as you dont try to CLAIM you are helping the environment by doing so drive what you want to drive.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think it’s butt f***ing ugly. Looks completely cartoonish.

Looks pretty useless to me, and the blind spots are probably as bad as a Lambo.

Glad y’all like it, you can have it. I won’t waste my money on one. It doesn’t look worth the price of admission to me. Why does a “truck“ need to haul ass? It needs to be able to haul tools n stuff and this doesn’t look like it has enough room to carry even my meager toolbox.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Around here as we live and work.. power has been an issue.at a time or two
    I can go fill up some gas cans and store them.. put them in the back of the truck, but all these greenie EV’s uh huh tote that generator around and what’s it run on?? Do they have bucket O lectric for you to pack?
    I know this an extreme but that’s what we do here on INGO;)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah not a fan but I am a somewhat old butthead. I like real trucks. Give me that new TRX! Yeehaw!! Almost as impractical as the Tesla CyberJunk...I mean Cyber Truck. Either way, I can't afford either so

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Charging time and range on a charge are issues for anyone who will be using it for long trips. I would want to be able to drive long distances in a day.

Currently, I drive a '19 Outback and on open road long distance trips I can get a DTE of ~650 miles on the car's computer. I've not pushed that calculation, but I have driven well over 300 miles and been around the half tank mark on the fuel gauge and filled up with gallons consistent with that. So, I've got great range with an ICE.

Time to fill the tank is quick. Probably around the 5 minutes that @cbhausen mentioned in his post. But we were at the Hubbard, Ohio Loves for a lot longer than that. Bathroom break, ordered food from the Subway, got coffee and walked around a bit. Probably about a 30 minute break in total.

So, If I can pull an EV up to a charger/supercharger at a place like that, start the charge and walk off to do my other business and come back in 20 to 30 minutes to an EV charged enough to head on out on the thousand mile drive we were doing htat day, I'm ok with that. I'd probably be ok even if I had to wait another, say, 10-15 minutes on the charge. That would allow me to eat my lunch before getting back on the road. I'd say a 30-45 minute break for charging on a long distance drive is ok.

Its ok if the EV battery gives me something like a range 500 miles at steady highway speeds of 65 t0 75 mph. If that range is down in the 200 to 300 mile area, not so much.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Neighbor has an F150 lightning for a work truck. He took me for a quick spin around the block. That thing will move and put you back in the seat real quick. Scary actually and I can imagine an inexperienced driver getting in trouble real quick with one.

I imagine it also eats tires.

He said the model he has has low range and if it's on just a regular charger it takes forever for low gain back in miles. On the high power chargers he said or does much better. Said he wouldn't buy one for those reasons.

Nice looking and well outfitted truck inside.

Top Bottom