• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Just checking who works from home? Been doing it for 28 years. I do get out of the house about three days a week for work and that is ever changing.

How do you have your office set up? I'll post a pic after I screen out the stuff that you all can't see.....secret work stuff and all.

Plus my desk is a mess at the moment....

Retired counts too!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I work from home a lot. I'm on a flex schedule, meaning that I get my 80 hours per pay period in over 9 weekdays instead of 10. Of those 9 days, I'm only in the office 4 days and the rest I work from home. From spring until late fall, my "office" is out on my deck (it's covered). For the winter, I'm in the family room. My desk is a mess now too. One work laptop and one personal laptop, plus all the usual crap. :):

This is my warm weather office view...

DlaAP0g.jpg

And for the cooler weather (spring and fall), I've got a table top heater.

r4XnvZZ.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I work from home a lot. I'm on a flex schedule, meaning that I get my 80 hours per pay period in over 9 weekdays instead of 10. Of those 9 days, I'm only in the office 4 days and the rest I work from home. From spring until late fall, my "office" is out on my deck (it's covered). For the winter, I'm in the family room. My desk is a mess now too. One work laptop and one personal laptop, plus all the usual crap. :):

This is my warm weather office view...

DlaAP0g.jpg

And for the cooler weather (spring and fall), I've got a table top heater.

r4XnvZZ.jpg

You have no idea on how many are thinking you have the perfect job!
    When I was a college recruiter in town before I got my teaching job, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I got a new car & could do alot of work from home and didn't have to report into headquarters at ITT Technical Institute across from the pyramids.
    I learned to hate it. They expected me to use that car to drive over toward IL every evening to talk to families/students: it got old in a hurry.
    Also, when I was supposed to be on the phone calling 100 students every day, I would find anything to get in the way (my sock drawers were very organized :laugh:).
    Your situation looks perfect though, I'll have to admit. :thumbsup:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I work from home, so do the 8 folks who work for me and we're scattered across the country. I'm full time and the rest of the folks are part time with a set number of hours assigned to them.

My office is in my armory with 5 computers surrounded by books, swords and guns. My desk is ALWAYS a mess, it's a huge oaken slab that breaks down into 4 pieces to move...it was hand made by my grandpa.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I work from home pretty frequently. I'm based in an office downtown, but most of my in person meetings happen in Columbus, IN so I'm actually there more than I'm in Indy. In fact, I had meetings down there this morning and just returned home.

My company is pretty spread out, so we do a ton of stuff over Skype. If there's not a need for me to be in Columbus, I am generally at home.

I just work off a laptop, so no dedicated office space at the moment. I just set up at the kitchen table.

I do really miss having two monitors. If and when I decide to have a dedicated home office space, it will have two screens. I get so much more work done that way.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am a remote worker, as is my entire team. Been working from a "home office" for several years now. Corporate Headquarters is in Virginia. We have an office in Indy, but I rarely visit. We also have offices worldwide, and remote workers worldwide. My boss totally gets her money's worth out of me. I easily work 10-hours days. Flip side, I get to spend WAY more time with my family, and my commute is 30 feet (coffee pot to office). My headset has a 300' range, and I routinely head outside when on a long call. I also spend way too much time on INGO.

iyd14meb.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have worked from home for coming up on 30 years. Stare at a computer screen most of the day. Moved into management a little over 15 years or so. I manage 9 people spread across Northern IN and one in SW MI. I get out of the office on occasion but just a few times per month on average. I do a couple reviews with each person a year and then their annual eval.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I am a remote worker, as is my entire team. Been working from a "home office" for several years now. Corporate Headquarters is in Virginia. We have an office in Indy, but I rarely visit. We also have offices worldwide, and remote workers worldwide. My boss totally gets her money's worth out of me. I easily work 10-hours days. Flip side, I get to spend WAY more time with my family, and my commute is 30 feet (coffee pot to office). My headset has a 300' range, and I routinely head outside when on a long call. I also spend way too much time on INGO.

iyd14meb.jpg

Your desk is too clean...do you really work? All my clutter is hard copies that i keep around for backups.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I retired about 10 years ago, don't need the money and my wife liked me doing the laundry, cooking, etc. If I am on INGO I am sitting in a chair with a laptop on my lap.

I don't usually give much thought to how casually I am typically dressed, but today my son got home from school and asked me why I was "dressed up." I had a doctor's appointment, so I had on a pair of blue jeans and a flannel shirt over a t-shirt, which apparently is a step up from my usual attire.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    :wavey: But not actually from home, I get up and go to the local bar, just so I’m not at home tempted to do nothing. The bar provides me “free” office space, and a place for clients and vendors. Sounds strange, but it works well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Your desk is too clean...do you really work? All my clutter is hard copies that i keep around for backups.
    Currently covered with post-it notes. That is a staged pic for sure.

It is a standing desk. My father's old drafting table, actually. From the 1950's. It is HUGE, and give me a ton of workspace.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can work from home, but I'm too easily distracted with laundry, pets, food, etc. I'm only 6 miles from the office so it's not a chore to go in. If I did it more, I'd have an office setup. But, I've got a 3rd interview for a job that will have me on the road 3 days a week on Monday so everything is potentially going to change.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can work from home, but I'm too easily distracted with laundry, pets, food, etc. I'm only 6 miles from the office so it's not a chore to go in. If I did it more, I'd have an office setup. But, I've got a 3rd interview for a job that will have me on the road 3 days a week on Monday so everything is potentially going to change.

I guess it's all in one's point of view. Work sometimes distracts me from laundry, pets, food, etc.. :):

Yesterday, our office had an "Active Shooter Drill". Got a big pop up on my screen (at home). I instant-messaged a coworker (gun friendly) that was also working from home and told him I was ready. In my "office" I had easily 30-40 rifles and handguns and probably close to 10K rounds of ammo. Bring it, active shooter! :):

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know that I'd get any work done if I were to work at home.

For the right compensation, though, I'd be willing to give it a try... So any of you that are well taken care of by your companies - PM me your employer's job seek web page and I'll peruse. :D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I am well taken care of by my employer but all of my crew have very specific skill sets and are hired by name. It cuts down on the interview process when you've known them for 20+ years...makes my job easier too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am well taken care of by my employer but all of my crew have very specific skill sets and are hired by name. It cuts down on the interview process when you've known them for 20+ years...makes my job easier too.
    Youse guys, and bank robbers. Same same.:):

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Definitely certain skills required to work remote. If you are easily distracted, not a self-starter, and can't manage your time well, it is not for you. If you need live human interaction, it is not for you.

Total introvert? Work better with computers than people? Strong time management skills? Can focus on important tasks for long stretches? Have a work location free from extraneous noise (barking dogs and crying babies)? Remote may work for you.

Funny thing... we just moved about a dozen folks from a regional office to remote. Turns out:
    - one of them didn't even have internet. Uh... that is kinda required.
    - another couldn't stand "being alone" and begged to come back to the office... after 2 days.
    - The rest think it is the most awesome thing ever.

The absolute BEST thing about remote work: if you have phone and internet, it simply doesn't matter where you are. I had one consultant work for 3 months in Costa Rica. Another spent 3 months visiting various family around the US, and worked full days wherever she was. A project manager is currently visiting her mom in California, and I can't even tell the difference.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Definitely certain skills required to work remote. If you are easily distracted, not a self-starter, and can't manage your time well, it is not for you. If you need live human interaction, it is not for you.

Total introvert? Work better with computers than people? Strong time management skills? Can focus on important tasks for long stretches? Have a work location free from extraneous noise (barking dogs and crying babies)? Remote may work for you.

Funny thing... we just moved about a dozen folks from a regional office to remote. Turns out:
    - one of them didn't even have internet. Uh... that is kinda required.
    - another couldn't stand "being alone" and begged to come back to the office... after 2 days.
    - The rest think it is the most awesome thing ever.

The absolute BEST thing about remote work: if you have phone and internet, it simply doesn't matter where you are. I had one consultant work for 3 months in Costa Rica. Another spent 3 months visiting various family around the US, and worked full days wherever she was. A project manager is currently visiting her mom in California, and I can't even tell the difference.
    I do it from the toilet, not as glam as Costa Rica, but...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I work out of the house (either in IN or FL).

Desk, phone and computer is all I need. In IN I have a big office. L shaped desk, separate bath and entrance, rest area (bed and bath).

In FL smaller office but have lanai, pool, spa, outdoor sitting areas, dock, etc. Have a hell of a wifi set up so can get interweb connection all over. Sometimes work from the pool. have a built in seating area.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom