• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Was watching a video last night of a supposed nightmare repair. Guys had a car up on a lift after the customer said the engine seized and wouldn't turn over any longer. They claimed he just never changed the oil, but the condition of the oil seemed too unbelievable to me.

First, the undercarriage was nice and shiny. Not new, but not dull and dirt covered like you would expect from a car with hundreds of thousands of miles and never washed or maintained.

They took the oil filter off and it was literally the consistency of jam. complete with gritty fruit seed like particles. they had to dig it all out with a finger from up in the void around the filter threads.

Then they pulled the plug and nary a drip. They pulled the pan and it was like a jello mold. the oil had the consistency of ballistic gel. They were slapping it around and it was just jiggling and not coming down out of the engine. They finally had to reach up and peel the giant blob out carefully and it was coming out mostly in one big piece.

The fact that it was SO gelatinous and not even a hint of liquid makes me think they are clickbaiting and faking the incident to generate ad revenue.

So what COULD you put in motor oil to gel it up like that? I know it wasnt hot melted axle grease (or any other solid at room temp lube) that was poured into an empty engine and allowed to cool and solidify, because their gloved hands were not getting any residue on them. And the areas they peeled it off of inside the crankcase were shiny and clean.

Ideas?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now that I think about it, could this be the result of that chemical they were pouring into engines several years ago for the cash for clunkers campaign? As I recall they were paying people to take bad cars off the road and part of the requirement was to destroy the engine so it couldnt be resold. Could this be what the chemical does to the engine to destroy it?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    IIRC, it was sodium silicate. No idea what it makes the oil look like, but it does go in the engine oil. Of course, if they are faking it, why even use oil in the first place? They could use any material necessary to get the desired effect.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heat oil up to 220 degrees for an hour or two or three, cool it down, heat it back up and do that for 2,000 cycles over 5 years and see what happens.

I've seen sludge the consistency of bearing grease in oil pans.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fake? Don't change your oil for about 60k mi and tell me what it looks like. https://blog.modbargains.com/15000-mile-oil-change-myth/

Same color, totally different consistency.

Heat oil up to 220 degrees for an hour or two or three, cool it down, heat it back up and do that for 2,000 cycles over 5 years and see what happens.

I've seen sludge the consistency of bearing grease in oil pans.

But this stuff wasnt grease/greasy its surface was relatively clean and didnt rub off on whatever touched it like grease and sludge do.

The more I think about it, and the more I research sludge, the more I think this was brown gelatin, not oil. And possibly what was in the case was mixed separately from the filter. What was in the filter looked like it maybe didnt get mixed well enough to totally solidify.

Gonna have to try to find this in my browser history when I get home tonight and share it here.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't need a youtube video. I've seen it first hand. My mother's old minivan started making a racket. I asked her when she last changed her oil. She couldn't remember. I pulled the drain plug - nothing. Pulled the pan, and it had the consistency of thick bearing grease. I ended up "flushing" the engine with 2-3 oil changes over the weekend, while driving it enough to warm up in between. What a freaking mess. Van ran for another 50K miles, though. If you define "running" loosely.

She still changes her oil only when I remind her.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Being an oil guy for a living we have seen this a few times. There was a distributor on the east coast had a stock of bulk oil that would turn to jelly at cold (~30-40*) temps. It can also happen when an oil is over extended and turns to sludge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Being an oil guy for a living we have seen this a few times. There was a distributor on the east coast had a stock of bulk oil that would turn to jelly at cold (~30-40*) temps. It can also happen when an oil is over extended and turns to sludge.

have you watched the video ?

Given their enthusiasm, I wonder if it is a setup and they’re just overly pumped about how good their little plan worked? Or I could just be a jaded cranky guy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Don't ever change the oil and it'll jell. Personally saw it in my exes vehicle. She'd been taking her girlfriends to lunch on the money I gave her every 3 months for an oil change. They all had a good laugh at my ignorance for unknowingly paying for their "girls day". She came home one day talking about the funny noise her truck was making, turned out to be rod knock.

Ended up costing her about $3800 bwhen it was all said and done vs $720 in lunches. Guess who laughed hardest?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Video is absolute BS. Look at the filter inlet pipe when they remove the filter. Empty and clean.

Completely possible; the pump can no longer pick up the sludge in the pan and the heat buildup thins the sludge in the passage ways so it'll flow. Eventually even there's no more residual oil in the passages because it's all burned off. When I pulled the oil pan off the exes truck it was pretty gruesome, several quarts of sludge but the pickup was clean and clear.

Top Bottom