Need a camera system, wireless preferred.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So we're pretty new to having farm critters and my wife and daughter are constantly wondering/worrying about our horse and goats and how/what they're doing. Due to the layout of our property the barn blocks about 70% of our view of the pastures. The horse has gotten out a few times and busted his way through my new fence already so whenever we look outside and don't see him we all get that little voice in the back of our minds suggesting that he's gotten out again. I'd like to install a camera on the barn which looks out over the pastures and can be monitored from the house. I'd also like a second one to put in the barn to monitor the animals when they're inside.

Our barn sits about 70yds from the house so a wireless setup would be ideal, I'd prefer not to have to trench in a cable if I can avoid it. Being able to pull up the cameras on the TV in our living room would be perfect. I do have electric service in the barn (thanks again Rookie!) so power isn't an issue. Something that works well in low light would be a bonus but isn't required, in the summer we put the horse out at night rather than during the day.

Is there anything out there that checks all the boxes? I think it would make for a good Christmas present for my wife and daughter if I can find something.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    A blink camera would work. Then u would need to boost the wifi to the barn. Probably a plug in booster might work that works via the electric run u already have. Plug in the cameras to not burn through batteries.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hope find a system that works well! Please report back, if you do.

My system runs 35 yards between TPlink router and access point. It works, but just barely. WIFI and video streaming max out pretty quick. I have to use lower resolution than I'd prefer and still have random stops to catch up.

Hopefully, Cameramonkey will be along soon to give you professional advice. :ingo:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A blink camera would work. Then u would need to boost the wifi to the barn. Probably a plug in booster might work that works via the electric run u already have. Plug in the cameras to not burn through batteries.

^^^ This. It would at least be a relatively low-cost initial try at a solution. We use Blink cameras at our house, and I've been pleased with the feed.

Now - one shortcoming that may be important to some, but doesn't sound important for your use, is that you can't record and watch at the same time. In fact, there's no option (yet) for watching and then starting the recording. Its either/or: record based on motion activation or watch live but don't record.

(At least, I haven't figured out a way around that yet.)

ETA:

hahaha answered this before I ever read it. :)
    Do those only activate when there is movement, or can one check on the cameras any time?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    ^^^ This. It would at least be a relatively low-cost initial try at a solution. We use Blink cameras at our house, and I've been pleased with the feed.

Now - one shortcoming that may be important to some, but doesn't sound important for your use, is that you can't record and watch at the same time. In fact, there's no option (yet) for watching and then starting the recording. Its either/or: record based on motion activation or watch live but don't record.

(At least, I haven't figured out a way around that yet.)

ETA:

hahaha answered this before I ever read it. :)

You have to go into setting and make all live video record. Then u can delete later if u dont want to keep it. I use the black outdoor cameras and they rock for my needs. I also have 8 hard wired cameras going as well set to record always.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    the powerline network extenders are great. They wont cross phases typically, but it could work for you. Ive got one you can borrow to try if you like. They even have them with a wired port to plug into your router on one side, and a wireless access point on the other. (or wired on both sides so you can add your own WAP on the far side, plug in something wired, etc)

If that doesnt work you can setup a wireless bridge to get the signal from the house to the barn. As long as it is line of sight you are good. (distance isnt a big factor) I might even have a pair of those too laying on my parts shelf.

Blink or any other IP based cameras will work for this situation.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hope find a system that works well! Please report back, if you do.

My system runs 35 yards between TPlink router and access point. It works, but just barely. WIFI and video streaming max out pretty quick. I have to use lower resolution than I'd prefer and still have random stops to catch up.

Hopefully, Cameramonkey will be along soon to give you professional advice. :ingo:

LOL. Missed this the first pass. Didnt see until I scrolled up to make sure I didnt miss something. Thanks! Wireless (especially point to point) is my specialty.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’d look again at the wireless option? So many hacks in the last couple of weeks. Wires suck, but it’s hard to hack.

Look again. Its not wireless issues, its cloud. And most of those were preventable because they were weak/shared password issues.

Though one important thing to mention. Forget "wireless CCTV cameras" There are kits of those (with NVR) you can buy at Sams, Costco, etc. You still have to run a power cord to the camera, even though it sends the video over wifi to the NVR. Just run a network cable from the NVR to the camera and be done with it. Works better anyway. (unless you just happen to have an outlet right next to every place you want a camera.)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cat6 is cheap, run a few to the barn and never worry about wireless hiccups. As stated, you'll need to run power to the cameras so running network isn't much more difficult. Bonus you can use POE cameras and not have to run two wires to the cameras.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Since you're out in the country, make sure you have enough internet speed. The pricing has come down so much on the cameras, that people are installing them everywhere, only to discover they don't have enough upstream speed to use them.

As an example, If you have a 25M downstream, and a 2M upstream internet profile speed, your not going to be able to run much of anything, when a lot of the cameras need about 2M a piece. Something to consider before you spend money.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have an extra blink outdoor camera and hub box (receives the wireless signal from your modem)
    Uou can borrow them for a while and see if you like them.
    You can pull the camera up on your cell phones and tablets and yes they also will detect movement if you wish and record.
    They are very customizable.
    The new XT ones you can even talk back and forth on.
    Drives my cats nuts when im on vacation :):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have Viasat for internet which means the Amish can pass information across state lines faster than I can (cheaper too I’m sure). I have power to the barn so getting power to the cameras isn’t an issue, running more wore to the barn is not something I really want to explore.

I was hoping there may be a system which runs independently and wirelessly.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ive been using Arlo cameras in my house for about a year and have been happy with them. They have multiple levels of quality and definition. I use the pro series which comes with rechargeable batteries. They are wireless but do need WiFi. They are IR capable so do have night vision and video is pretty good up to about 30'. I can set them to send me a text alert anytime something triggers it (motion activated). I have one outside facing my front door that alerts me when someone is on my porch. I can also pull them up and watch them live on my phone or computer. I check on my dog regularly while im at work. The ones that get the most use have a battery life of 3-4 weeks and the ones that don't get activated much will last up to 3 months. I have an extra battery so when one starts getting low I just swap it out, recharge it and wait till the next goes. My system is able to handle 10 of the cameras on one service but I pay a small yearly premium. Basic service is free but only supports 5 cameras.
    If you have a Sams club membership they usually have them for about the best price. I just got 3 more cameras with a hub for $350.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have Viasat for internet which means the Amish can pass information across state lines faster than I can (cheaper too I’m sure). I have power to the barn so getting power to the cameras isn’t an issue, running more wore to the barn is not something I really want to explore.

I was hoping there may be a system which runs independently and wirelessly.

unfortunately, the distance between the barn and the house limits your options on a wireless turnkey solution. But what you need is not insurmountable nor overly complex.

Ive had good luck with Unifi for easy to configure systems. If you look at their other cameras, they are a little expensive for the resolution, but they are stupid easy to install. And the NVR is only $133 with a 1TB drive. (upgradable to 5)

Some ideas to get you started.

unifinvr.JPG Hikvision.JPG

Notes:
    Hikvision is far better, but harder to set up.
    The hik cam is double the resolution of the unifi, but up close (30') or just "hey, is the horse in the barn or not" it shouldnt matter unless you are trying to penetrate deep into darkness.
    The powerline [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] OR wireless wire are used to get the signal between house and barn. NVR in the house, camera and one side of the WW at the barn. (other side of WW on house)
    the Unifi includes a 1TB HDD, the Hik is without a drive.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Top Bottom