What will an IU diploma be worth in 10 years?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    IU will not require any SAT score for an applicant because they want to stay as trendy as Evergreen. Cause proving that you have mastered the high school curriculum before entering into college level courses would be silly.
    From the article: [FONT=&quot]Hundreds of colleges in recent years have made it optional for applicants to submit test scores in an effort to promote equity and diversify applicant pools.[/FONT]

https://www.wthr.com/article/indiana-university-could-make-sat-act-tests-optional

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It helps the College financially, the kids that really should not be in college will take the remedial classes. My cousins daughter is starting her second year with no real college level courses. Kid barely graduated high school and has struggled in school her entire life. She wants a business degree so she can work in a bank. So that degree will be worth about $50k less a year than if she had got a factory job at 18.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I didnt do great on the SAT's so joined the military. Used the GI Bill when I got out and made deans list both years in diesel tech for an applied science associates.

Granted I think many straight from high school that did poorly will carry that over into college as they didnt get a taste of the real world before going to college. I went to school knowing this was it and I was on my own after school. I saw the kids straight from high school sloughing college off and tried to educate them as to what happens after.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think a lot will depend on what studies the degree is earned. College is so unworth it right now, I'd send my kids to the union hall.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    A 4 year diploma is not worth crap now days anyway. Its the new High School diploma. These kids go to school get in debt they pay back for 20 years and they could have went straight to the workforce and be farther ahead anyway. Ask me how I know. If you go to school for 4 years of undergrad you better pick a major that is not useless like 95% of them that are available.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The SAT is not a good predictor of how a student will do in college. I'm honestly surprised it has taken this long for it to fall out of favor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Did very well on my SAT and at IU, as has been said earlier, what you learn and get a degree in is very important.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The SAT’s lost their value when they began to adjust the results based on your victimhood status. When Asians began getting their scores lowered because they generally score better, and when blacks began getting bonus points because they tend to score lower, the tests became meaningless. It was only a matter of time before the test completely went away.

I believe we need a test to get into college. Colleges need to set standards. Like josh said, a entry test score does not mean they’ll do better or worse during their time attending, but it does mean you met their standards to be accepted to their school. Everyone has standards in life, whether it be when dating, when job searching, searching for schools, etc, we set standards for what we will accept and what we will not tolerate. INGO has a set of standards, and if we break the rules and do not live up to those standards we will be sent down the road.

When colleges do away with their standards it should be an eye opener. It should tell everybody that they no longer care about the product they provide (education), they now only care about the money they receive, and are willing to give up their standards to accept more customers to receive their product. This is why having a college degree has lost its appeal. Very few degrees mean anything now. Lawyers and Doctors are about the only ones I respect anymore (and a few others I can’t think of now)

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware that the SATs were graded on a racial curve. If they are adjusted they lose the value of their purpose.
    As you say, the SAT is not intended to be a predictor of your success in college, as people who have good scores still flunk out, but they do show whether you meet the entry level standard.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware that the SATs were graded on a racial curve. If they are adjusted they lose the value of their purpose.
    As you say, the SAT is not intended to be a predictor of your success in college, as people who have good scores still flunk out, but they do show whether you meet the entry level standard.

This has been coming for a while now. Level the field.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Both of my sons graduated from IU and are doing well, productive members of society. I think a lot of it is what you put into it. Some things are only going to pay so much in the real world.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Yes, Princeton even had a study on the SAT scores being adjusted based on race. Asians were penalized 50 (?) points I think it was, and blacks were given around 200 points. When scores, that are used as an entry test, are being adjusted to fit a political agenda, what’s the point in having a test for entry?

Ben Shapiro even speaks on the study in one of his speeches. I’ll try to find it tomorrow during one of the boring games that aren’t holding my interest lol.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Both of my sons graduated from IU and are doing well, productive members of society. I think a lot of it is what you put into it. Some things are only going to pay so much in the real world.
    And being raised right! That’s worth more than college. College can teach them, but everything else is instilled from how they're raised. Congrats on raising 2 successful men... and awesome job!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Do tell, what is the good predictor?

High school GPA tends to correlate best with college success.

The standardized exams (both SAT and ACT) have been recognized as poor predictors since at least when I was in high school, and that was 15 years ago.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It helps the College financially, the kids that really should not be in college will take the remedial classes. My cousins daughter is starting her second year with no real college level courses. Kid barely graduated high school and has struggled in school her entire life. She wants a business degree so she can work in a bank. So that degree will be worth about $50k less a year than if she had got a factory job at 18.

I never realized how many kids should not be in school. My wife has taught several of these classes over the years and she is actually teaching one now. At the end of the current class there is a 80 question test. Just for the fun of it my wife gave my 12 year old daughter the test and she missed 4 questions. . . 4. They have kids talking these classes 3, 4, 5 times because they can not pass.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A 4 year diploma is not worth crap now days anyway. Its the new High School diploma. These kids go to school get in debt they pay back for 20 years and they could have went straight to the workforce and be farther ahead anyway. Ask me how I know. If you go to school for 4 years of undergrad you better pick a major that is not useless like 95% of them that are available.

Oh, it has some use. Its being used off and on by employers as a rough screen to weed out applicants. In the IT field, where college courses are absolutely useless for relevant field skills due to how long it takes curricula to make it to the classroom (by the time it goes all the way through the process, that specific info is outdated), it is being used to reduce the number of resumes HR and managers must look at. I have a former coworker that suggested if I wanted to apply where he moved to, let him know and he could get me an interview. (25 years in the field, no college) A couple months ago he stopped by the office to go to lunch with some of my coworkers and mentioned that they are now requiring ANY 4 year degree to be considered. Doesnt matter if your degree is in underwater basketweaving and is irrelevant to your job performance/skills, you need a degree to apply. :rolleyes:

I remember that BS back in the early 2000s. Went to a job fair at the Indiana Convention Center and started to walk into the IT field room and there was a big sign that said in effect "college degree or GTFO. Dont bother walking past this sign without a degree."

The most infuriating part is in the IT field, what you REALLY need, which is specific vendor and technology training/certification, isnt even considered. You can have a wall full of certs and be able to handle your technology like Forrest gump handled the dissaembly/reassembly of his Garand, but unless you know somebody on the inside that has the power to override the HR firewall, you are screwed.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Did anybody catch during the recent "Lori Loughlin" scandal of kids/parents using the "side door" to get into colleges...that some kids were getting shrinks to certify them with some sort of anxiety disorder affecting their ability to take tests, so they could be given the option to take the SAT without a time limit? I did not realize such a thing existed, but should not be surprised.

Apparently the scores used to indicate when the test was taken without a time limit, but that has been done away with, and now colleges looking at scores cannot tell who took it with a time limit, and without.

Top Bottom