Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

What will an IU diploma be worth in 10 years?

IU will not require any SAT score for an applicant because they want to stay as trendy as Evergreen. Cause proving that you have mastered the high school curriculum before entering into college level courses would be silly.
    From the article: Hundreds of colleges in recent years have made it optional for applicants to submit test scores in an effort to promote equity and diversify applicant pools.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indiana...tests-optional

User Info Menu

It helps the College financially, the kids that really should not be in college will take the remedial classes. My cousins daughter is starting her second year with no real college level courses. Kid barely graduated high school and has struggled in school her entire life. She wants a business degree so she can work in a bank. So that degree will be worth about $50k less a year than if she had got a factory job at 18.
    U.S. Army retired

User Info Menu

I didnt do great on the SAT's so joined the military. Used the GI Bill when I got out and made deans list both years in diesel tech for an applied science associates.

Granted I think many straight from high school that did poorly will carry that over into college as they didnt get a taste of the real world before going to college. I went to school knowing this was it and I was on my own after school. I saw the kids straight from high school sloughing college off and tried to educate them as to what happens after.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I think a lot will depend on what studies the degree is earned. College is so unworth it right now, I'd send my kids to the union hall.

User Info Menu

A 4 year diploma is not worth crap now days anyway. Its the new High School diploma. These kids go to school get in debt they pay back for 20 years and they could have went straight to the workforce and be farther ahead anyway. Ask me how I know. If you go to school for 4 years of undergrad you better pick a major that is not useless like 95% of them that are available.
    Last edited by sparky32; 12-14-2019 at 20:45.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    I think a lot will depend on what studies the degree is earned.
    This. 100% This.
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

The SAT is not a good predictor of how a student will do in college. I'm honestly surprised it has taken this long for it to fall out of favor.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Did very well on my SAT and at IU, as has been said earlier, what you learn and get a degree in is very important.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    The SAT is not a good predictor of how a student will do in college. I'm honestly surprised it has taken this long for it to fall out of favor.

Do tell, what is the good predictor?

User Info Menu

The SAT’s lost their value when they began to adjust the results based on your victimhood status. When Asians began getting their scores lowered because they generally score better, and when blacks began getting bonus points because they tend to score lower, the tests became meaningless. It was only a matter of time before the test completely went away.

I believe we need a test to get into college. Colleges need to set standards. Like josh said, a entry test score does not mean they’ll do better or worse during their time attending, but it does mean you met their standards to be accepted to their school. Everyone has standards in life, whether it be when dating, when job searching, searching for schools, etc, we set standards for what we will accept and what we will not tolerate. INGO has a set of standards, and if we break the rules and do not live up to those standards we will be sent down the road.

When colleges do away with their standards it should be an eye opener. It should tell everybody that they no longer care about the product they provide (education), they now only care about the money they receive, and are willing to give up their standards to accept more customers to receive their product. This is why having a college degree has lost its appeal. Very few degrees mean anything now. Lawyers and Doctors are about the only ones I respect anymore (and a few others I can’t think of now)

I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast