• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I've only been shooting about 7 months. I can still count the guns I own without taking my shoes off.

Last night I added up what I have spent since I started. I have no idea why I did this.

As a result I am posting this warning for other new shooters.

Don't EVER add up what you're spending.

Kidding aside - I have spent more than I realized. Those small things just add up and don't seem to when you press the order button on a web site or check out at the LGS.

If you are getting started the opposite is probably true - you SHOULD add up your costs and make a plan.

I have enjoyed myself and plan on continuing to learn and explore.

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    If you do add it up don't write it on paper where other people can see it. Especially she how must be obeyed. Also small items pay cash and lose the receipt.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you do add it up don't write it on paper where other people can see it. Especially she how must be obeyed. Also small items pay cash and lose the receipt.

My biggest fear is after I die, my wife sells them for what told her they cost, not what I really paid. LOL

Reactions: Een

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I only have $250 in my whole and complete gun collection.
    I own a double barrel shotgun and 4 shells. This was taking to heart the advice of old uncle Joe BIden. I was convinced I didn't need more than this.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My biggest fear is after I die, my wife sells them for what told her they cost, not what I really paid. LOL

This, I can relate to.
    Sometimes my wife busts my balls about how much gun stuff and ammo I have. Just last night we went to Cabelas for some Christmas shopping and casually walked by the gun counter with my daughter. She wanted to look at a few guns so..we did. My wife walks over tells the sales rep "don't sell them anything, they don't need anymore " salesman says "oh, so they only need one more, got it". My sweet wife didn't know what to say but she stayed close enough and sighed enough to communicate her annoyance. No guns were bought but did pick up a case of ammo for me and a case for baby girl too.
    We went hunting with my dad and brother this morning. My daughter proceeds to tell my dad she hates the handgun age restriction law of 21 to buy, because she wants that Sig Sauer 9mm we looked at last night. And how she wants a 20g model 12 and a dedicated trap gun. Dad said I have created a monster

Point is, enjoy the hobby but don't let it interfere with the needs. Also, unless it is for insurance purposes don't keep track of the overall costs..just enjoy the ride

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    You find a nice pistol you want to buy. Then you get some extra mags.
    Then you buy a good holster. Next new sights, trigger job, lights and accessories.
    Now that 500 dollar gun cost you a 1000.
    Funny how things work.
    Enjoy the hobby as you only go around once.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This, I can relate to.
    Sometimes my wife busts my balls about how much gun stuff and ammo I have. Just last night we went to Cabelas for some Christmas shopping and casually walked by the gun counter with my daughter. She wanted to look at a few guns so..we did. My wife walks over tells the sales rep "don't sell them anything, they don't need anymore " salesman says "oh, so they only need one more, got it". My sweet wife didn't know what to say but she stayed close enough and sighed enough to communicate her annoyance. No guns were bought but did pick up a case of ammo for me and a case for baby girl too.
    We went hunting with my dad and brother this morning. My daughter proceeds to tell my dad she hates the handgun age restriction law of 21 to buy, because she wants that Sig Sauer 9mm we looked at last night. And how she wants a 20g model 12 and a dedicated trap gun. Dad said I have created a monster

Point is, enjoy the hobby but don't let it interfere with the needs. Also, unless it is for insurance purposes don't keep track of the overall costs..just enjoy the ride

I do keep track for insurance purposes. It's... "enlightening" to say the least. And actually if I went back and updated some of the values of guns that have appreciated, it would be slightly higher. Fortunately, it appears that my insurance company already does that at least to some extent. I generally inflate my "value" by at least 10% to account for replacement cost, but some have appreciated more than that.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    You find a nice pistol you want to buy. Then you get some extra mags.
    Then you buy a good holster. Next new sights, trigger job, lights and accessories.
    Now that 500 dollar gun cost you a 1000.
    Funny how things work.
    Enjoy the hobby as you only go around once.

And THEN you find another one. It just keeps going and I see no reason to get off the carousel.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This is why I gave up on collecting guns, it’s just to expensive, and well, guns are scary. I just collect stamps now. :cool:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The amount I have spent on guns/ammo is peanuts compared to what I have spent on my car hobby. Wanna watch you bank account empty, try to make an old car go fast.

Top Bottom