• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    So I purchased a used car for a friend from Andy Mohr BUICK-GMC up on Ind. 37 and 131st. St. In Fishers.
    The price on the windshield was $2500.00, BUT it was BLACK FRIDAY sale day and they advertised a today only price of $1890.00.
    So after throughly looking over and driving the car, I agreed to purchase it.
    They said with title, registration and fees, the out the door total was $2585.00. So I laid down the cash, (they wouldn't take check or card or anything else). So I'm looking over the paperwork and I notice that there is a charge for "THEFT, $250.00". So I questioned them about it and have never received an explanation as to what the THEFT charge was for, but it looks like they did end up getting their original price of $2500.00.
    Is there any other posible explanation or is it just what it says-------THEFT of $250.00?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Lol! Sorry I don’t have any other explanation other than used car salesmen really are thief’s, they don’t even hide it anymore. I’m curious as to that as well. Will be checking back in when the ingo geniuses chime in and explain it.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So they took care of all of the things you would of had to go to the BMV? This would add a decent amount to the price. Plus your sales tax is around $132.00.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny how some car salesman can screw you around like this and never understand why you don't come back.

Some dealers are worse than others with their hidden fees. Just another way to make more money off the sale.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    A $200 doc fee isn't unusual. I'd of told them I'll ya give the $1890 plus sales tax OTD. If they didn't like it then you walk.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yeah, but when you add-in the other charges it came to $2585.00. soooooo?

True. I guess I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your post. Let me back track. How much were you willing to pay for the car, total.

For example when I looked at buying a new handgun I told myself I was NOT willing to spend more then $1000 for all of it. Gun, holster for gun, cleaning brush for 9mm as I did not have any 9mm cleaning supplies, etc. I ended up spending 989 for all of it. So I met my goal.

Now back to your OP. If you were willing to spend 2500 for the car total what difference does it make if they said 1000 for car, 1000 for car sale on that day, 500 for taxes,/papereork.

So long as your max budget was met does it matter?
    Now if you went over due to tax/paperwork/theft you could have walked away. Or have them lower something.

I remember as a kid going with my grandpa car shopping. He told the dealership. I want a minivan and am NOT going to spend more then 14k for everything, van, taxes, paperwork, etc.. we went to several dealerships until 1 agreed with him. Even then we walked away empty that day since the total came to 14,150. Stubborn grandpa was not willing to pay 150 extra for the van. :(

He eventually bought a van for a little under 14k. But that day I learned a lesson. Set you max and dont move. Eventually you will get your car.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, I've never heard of that one. The last time I bought a used car from the dealer, I simply told him my final offer and that included any and all fees (other than sales tax). He could call them whatever they wanted to but I'm only paying X amount. They took it. We were both happy.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Man, I've never heard of that one. The last time I bought a used car from the dealer, I simply told him my final offer and that included any and all fees (other than sales tax). He could call them whatever they wanted to but I'm only paying X amount. They took it. We were both happy.

Yep and I take it one step further and tell them this is my OTD(Out the Door)price take it or leave it. The last thing the dealer wants is for you to walk.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    On cars that everyone wants and are hard to get I have heard of dealers charging list plus ADP (additional dealer profit, listed as adp on the window sticker). And if you did not like it someone else would buy the car.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Just for shiz and giggles lets try and break this down.

$1890 purchase price
    $132.00 sales tax
    $200.00 Doc fee ?
    $250.00 Theft

This puts us at $2472. So if the remainder went to the BMV then this is about right with the exception of the $250 for theft.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Look and see if you windows have been etched.

Several years ago my parents picked up a used truck from a dealer. They were charged for window etching. I don't think it was the VIN, I think it was some kind of insurance. that they never agreed to. They then found out the company was not licensed for IN and got their money back.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Just for shiz and giggles lets try and break this down.

$1890 purchase price
    $132.00 sales tax
    $200.00 Doc fee ?
    $250.00 Theft

This puts us at $2472. So if the remainder went to the BMV then this is about right with the exception of the $250 for theft.

No Dock fee, whatever that is, at least it wasn’t listed that way.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Look and see if you windows have been etched.

Several years ago my parents picked up a used truck from a dealer. They were charged for window etching. I don't think it was the VIN, I think it was some kind of insurance. that they never agreed to. They then found out the company was not licensed for IN and got their money back.

I looked for that because one of my other cars has it, but no their not. But doesn't that go to the orignal new car buyer and not every time it's sold?

Top Bottom