• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Now that more of us have seen it we're starting to see more temptation to discuss spoilers in the "No Spoilers" thread so here you go, Spoil away!:rockwoot:

There was a lot of discussion about the impact the SJW's would have on this installment and although I don't follow SJW theorem much I didn't see too many nods to the SJW's. It did seem that a lot of the storm trooper one liners were female voiced. And the "kiss heard round the galaxie" was definitely a nod to their demands.

I had suspected that Rey had Palpatine in her. She wasn't the right age for Obi Wan and Luke was too eat up with the force to "know" anybody. When they started running trailers for this installment with Palpatine over voicing the action I knew I was right!:rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Didn't bother me in the least but it was being discussed in various articles within the hours of the first showing. I knew it would be fodder for both sides of that fight.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    eh a kiss same species in a film set in the galaxy?! Get over it. Two humans or would you rather it be a human and a Wookiee?

Was this comment directed at me or the OP?

I didn't have a prob with the kiss.

Over all with this movie, I enjoyed it. I was honestly surprised with who Rey turned out to be. I loved that she converted her staff into a saber. The chase through the desert was cool.

But it created sooo many questions, how did palpi get to the planet. How did he get so many soldiers, how built the ships, where did they get the supplies, where did Rey get her kyber crystal, why didn't Rey use her lighting trick on palpi or anyone else for that matter, why didn't Rey know her history immediately after touching that dagger like she did with Luke's saber I could go on but I have to get ready for work.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Didn't bother me in the least but it was being discussed in various articles within the hours of the first showing. I knew it would be fodder for both sides of that fight.

I don't have a problem with the kiss itself, at all.

I do have a problem with it being added as a gratuitous nod to SJWs, rather than something that is contributing to, or a natural part of, the story/characters involved. But then, I can also only tolerate so much gratuity of any kind in a movie, be it violence/gore, language, sex/nudity, etc.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, my take on TROS: I hated what Rian Johnson did to the story and character development in TLJ, and it was obvious to me that Disney was catering to those who agreed. The end result was, IMHO, a satisfying ending to the Skywalker part of the SW saga. But I think that they had to overdo it more than a bit to get to that point. As such, it felt slightly contrived. Combined with the obvious fan service (some of which was probably necessary, regardless), I don't know how I'll feel about the long-term legacy of TROS. Will this be a movie I'll want to watch again 10 years from now? I don't know. (But then, as much as I enjoyed the prequel trilogy, I rarely if ever re-watch it, either.)

I think Rey as a Palpatine, and the "Force dyad", was an homage to one of my favorite, no-longer-canon, EU series: The Legacy of the Force. Rey and Ben Skywalker (Kylo Ren) mirrored the Force-twin dynamic of Jaina and Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus). I think it is an interesting Force dynamic, and I'm glad the movie developed it.

I would have liked to have known a bit more about how Palpatine survived. I suspect that the explanation given (brief though it was) was an allusion to the Darth Plagueis story line, and maybe it was left vague so that it could be fodder for future movie(s)?

I would also have liked to know more about the Knights of Ren - though, again, maybe that will be future-movie fodder as well.

Finally, I think there were some rather obvious nods to undoing what fans most hated about TLJ. I'm curious who else noticed any? The biggest one, IMHO, was Force-Ghost Luke catching his lightsaber when Rey tried to throw it into the fire, and Luke saying, "A Jedi's weapon should be treated with more respect" - an obvious throwback to Luke nonchalantly chucking his own lightsaber over his shoulder when Rey handed it to him at the beginning of TLJ. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I heard some knowing laughs/claps in the near-empty theater when Luke said that.)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, my take on TROS: I hated what Rian Johnson did to the story and character development in TLJ, and it was obvious to me that Disney was catering to those who agreed. The end result was, IMHO, a satisfying ending to the Skywalker part of the SW saga. But I think that they had to overdo it more than a bit to get to that point. As such, it felt slightly contrived. Combined with the obvious fan service (some of which was probably necessary, regardless), I don't know how I'll feel about the long-term legacy of TROS. Will this be a movie I'll want to watch again 10 years from now? I don't know. (But then, as much as I enjoyed the prequel trilogy, I rarely if ever re-watch it, either.)

I think Rey as a Palpatine, and the "Force dyad", was an homage to one of my favorite, no-longer-canon, EU series: The Legacy of the Force. Rey and Ben Skywalker (Kylo Ren) mirrored the Force-twin dynamic of Jaina and Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus). I think it is an interesting Force dynamic, and I'm glad the movie developed it.

I would have liked to have known a bit more about how Palpatine survived. I suspect that the explanation given (brief though it was) was an allusion to the Darth Plagueis story line, and maybe it was left vague so that it could be fodder for future movie(s)?

I would also have liked to know more about the Knights of Ren - though, again, maybe that will be future-movie fodder as well.

Finally, I think there were some rather obvious nods to undoing what fans most hated about TLJ. I'm curious who else noticed any? The biggest one, IMHO, was Force-Ghost Luke catching his lightsaber when Rey tried to throw it into the fire, and Luke saying, "A Jedi's weapon should be treated with more respect" - an obvious throwback to Luke nonchalantly chucking his own lightsaber over his shoulder when Rey handed it to him at the beginning of TLJ. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I heard some knowing laughs/claps in the near-empty theater when Luke said that.)

I need to go back and watch TLJ as well, but agree with most of your points. It definitely seemed like they pulled a good bit from the Jaina & Jacen dynamic. (I wish that had been what this set of movies had been about honestly). I also agree with the Plagueis story line potentially, as well as your other points.

I'm hoping some of this gets developed in some content that will be brought to Disney+, as the general use of the force ghosts and the intro "wording" as crutches for plot & character development would be better to be actual content. I can see the use of it for the movies and the less than hard core fans, but additional content filling these gaps that is canon would be great.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

That and the "I made a mistake" line were a direct slam on rian johnson.
    I think the "A Jedi's weapon should be treated with more respect" also had a double meaning regarding the SW franchise and the story arc breaking/****ting on that johnson did.

Mary Sue Palpatine was shown in actual training for once to attempt to silence the critics.

Why didn't Palpatines son (rey's dad) have any force powers and why wasn't he the next embodiment of the Sith?

On the SJW front:

I'm also surprised that Kylo saved the [STRIKE]rey[/STRIKE] ... day at the end.
    She needed a man to save her. I know kathleen kennedy wasn't happy about that.

There was a plan to have Poe and Finn in a "romantic relationship" but it got dropped in rewrites.
    The ghey kiss didn't bother me, but it was obvious they just tried too hard to jam it in there for points. (camera lingers on two girls kissing at the victory parade) come on. :rolleyes:
    They could have had a part when the pilots were getting ready to take off where the girl tech ran up to the girl pilot and said "please come back safe, i love you etc kiss and it would have been more believable/better.

Poor Rose Tico got the boot, I don't know why she was even in the movie and don't get me started on Chewie.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    IT SUCKED... But didn't have to... the new series could have been saved.

The story was mostly OK, despite repeating the OG triology plot and making Leia out to be a complete failure as a leader.

However, the main characters played the wrong roles in the plot. Leia should have died when she was sucked out into space in the last film... Luke should have died in this movie helping Rey the way Leia did... Fin was useless, Rose was pointless, why did we need a 4th droid (oh yeah, toys)... Where did 'ol Palpatine get 1 million crew men without his fleet being discovered? The whole giant climactic space battle wasn't even in space and lasted all of 4 min of screen time. I like the Palpatine pulling the strings idea, but he didn't need a fleet of 100s of Death Destroyers then... I can go on all day but have to go back to work...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was it choppy, yeah at times. But how in the heck are you going to fill in all the gaps of a story line 40+ years in the making in 150+ minutes. You are not. Period.
    If you didn't like it so be it. You loose. We liked it for what t was. My 12 year old movie buddy Loved it as did I. Over look the silly **** as there was some. Look to deep into anything and the flaw's emerge. It was epic on many levels.
    Yes they did right by the ending. Fin did not get the girl. He should have hooked up with his battle mate but it is what it is.

Entertainment. Enjoy the ride. It has been a long one.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I liked it, despite the forced one-liners.

For the gamer SW fans, Jedi: Fallen Order is the absolute best Star Wars game I’ve ever played.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For the gamer SW fans, Jedi: Fallen Order is the absolute best Star Wars game I’ve ever played.

I've heard it was good from other sources as well. I may have to get this. I haven't gamed in quite some time as everything got too complicated, especially multiplayer, but I hear this has a good story driven, single player campaign. Thanks for the review.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    It was ok.
    I think the time frame doesn't really fit well for Rey to be a granddaughter.
    And they really made then seem like a normal couple, which I don't buy.
    They would have been under the Palpatine's eye and kept in a silk cage somewhere.
    Still have questions about where Anakin came from, not to mention where Palpatine came up from for that matter.
    I kind of wondered if Rey and Ben would shag up somewhere.
    Their fight in Last Jedi was one of the best lightsabre fights they have ever done.
    The whole fleet building thing also goes against my engineering logic.
    You build mega death star and then a massive star destroyer and then a massive fleet?
    The elves must have been working 3 shifts + overtime to get that done.
    I need to watch Last Jedi again to try and pick up some more pieces to understand what I saw last nite.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It was ok.
    I think the time frame doesn't really fit well for Rey to be a granddaughter.
    And they really made then seem like a normal couple, which I don't buy.
    They would have been under the Palpatine's eye and kept in a silk cage somewhere.
    Still have questions about where Anakin came from, not to mention where Palpatine came up from for that matter.
    I kind of wondered if Rey and Ben would shag up somewhere.
    Their fight in Last Jedi was one of the best lightsabre fights they have ever done.
    The whole fleet building thing also goes against my engineering logic.
    You build mega death star and then a massive star destroyer and then a massive fleet?
    The elves must have been working 3 shifts + overtime to get that done.
    I need to watch Last Jedi again to try and pick up some more pieces to understand what I saw last nite.

Perhaps Death Star(s) and Mega Fleet were concurrent and the DS's were sacrificial lambs to keep the rebellion off the Mega Fleets trail? With the extreme mystical powers of the Sith I can accept that somehow the Sith collective was able to reach out and secure Palpatine as he flew into the reactor just before it exploded. After all Rey and Kylo were having physical contact over great distances during their episodes of "mind melding" for a lack of a better term. We also saw Leia pull a Mary Poppins after surviving the explosion on the bridge of her ship which should have been the end of any humanoid life form.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Before reading the whole thread, I’ll just say this. I’m pleased with the movie overall. It was a good story.

There were a few parts I didn’t like, where I felt that Abrams strayed a bit from the SW universe a bit too far. For example, the whole “all the sith” vs “all the jedi”. I didn’t like that.

One thing I really wanted to see happen after seeing Rey use force lightening to destroy that ship I wanted to see her use force lightening against Palpatine in their confrontation. I wanted also to see her struggle more with the seduction of the dark side, and then overcome it. She momentarily gave in to Palpatine, but not because of an inner strugle with temptation. It was to save her friends.

But as it was, her use if force lightening wasn’t exactly a McGuffin. It established, before the reveal of who she is, that she had more power than she knew how to handle. Yellow lightening is no longer cannon, but it would have been cool if they would have explored that a little.

Top Bottom