• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I was going to spend the AM at the range alone. Then my wife thought we could all go as a family. (I took the day off) My 13YO protested VEHEMENTLY that we have been too busy the last couple days and he just wanted to chill at home all day. But my 10YO REALLY wanted to go. So we went together by ourselves. This is YUUUUUGE because she has some major attachment issues with mom. Getting her to go anywhere with me by myself (or anyone else) is like pulling teeth. So we hopped in the car and spent a couple hours at the range. I even got her to "make it ping"! Two shots were all she would do, but to her credit, even after the first shot, she was willing to do it again. Bear in mind an AR is the biggest she had ever shot before. (sissy pad probably helped, but still...)

LGarand.jpg

And for Christmas I gave her a vintage 10/22 that Ingoer Simon6101 sold me earlier in the year. She LOVES it! Need to put my Axxom stock on it for her though. still just a little long for her yet.

L1022.jpg

That girl was also ringing the 8x10 steel plates at the 150yd line with the 10/22 factory irons just as consistently as I was. (about every 3rd shot) If she doesnt get her rifleman patch from Reveres Riders, I'll be absolutely shocked.

And she fired a few shots from my G19 and was keeping them all within the 8 ring. It was a bit big for her, but she handled it like a champ. (gave up after 5 shots because the recoil wasnt fun)

So far the most awesomeest day together. And she said she cant wait to go again.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Good job, Monkey man! She needs your leadership and love to be a complete adult and getting this kind of time with her is a great step toward a positive outcome. Very happy for you.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    A lefty! Right handed/left eye dominant or straight up lefty?

If you can find a Ruger Compact wood stock, that should fit her very nicely for quite some time.

As you know, the Ruger factory sights are a lesson in frustration management. Before bringing her to an RR event, make a quick stop at A&A Optics. That will help her tremendously.

Keep up the good work dad!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I had a pretty good day yesterday, also. DeadeyeChrista asked me to check her washing machine out. I couldn't make it malfunction, so that didn't last too long. Then she, her boyfriend, and I cleaned every gun in the house. Great fun.
    Her boyfriend had found himself in need of a 12 gauge, and I had recently found myself in possession of an extra one, so we came to a mutually satisfactory arrangement, and cleaned it, too. Nice to see it go to an appreciative home, and to have my cash back out of it.
    Now the best part. I have three grandsons now, thanks to DeadeyeChrista's sister, PLUS her boyfriend's son, Jack, so four grandsons, effectively. I'm like a pig in the slop, having boys to be a questionable influence to, but no granddaughters. But not so fast! Christa babysits for one of her friends. And Alana is an adorable toddler. Just about the time we got finished cleaning up here comes the princess, up from her nap,. Arms open, eyes wide, and happy to see me! We sat for awhile, watching care bears videos on my phone while Jack demonstrated his boxing skills with a floor bag and the grown-ups played a video game.
    For a guy who spends so much time alone these days, it was almost more than my heart could bear.
    But alas, I had promised to call on Gpa, so I collected hugs and kisses and made my way North.
    You younger guys with kids at home, listen up. I know it seems like chaos. That's ok. Drink it up. It goes by way too fast.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You HAD a 10/22 ;)

Nope. Bought it for her specifically. Simon is a very generous man. He saw my WTB and who it was for and let go one he wasnt planning on because it was for her. I'm frankly a little jealous of her since its vintage. It shoots better than my son's new one. (if my 10/22 wasnt totally tricked out, I would have given her mine and taken hers. LOL)

A lefty! Right handed/left eye dominant or straight up lefty?

If you can find a Ruger Compact wood stock, that should fit her very nicely for quite some time.

As you know, the Ruger factory sights are a lesson in frustration management. Before bringing her to an RR event, make a quick stop at A&A Optics. That will help her tremendously.

Keep up the good work dad!

I just finished cleaning it, and dropped into one of these I had from when my son was little. Makes all the difference in the world, and lightens the front end TREMENDOUSLY.

https://external-content.duckduckgo...r_10_22_22lr_with_blackhaw_640.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Only mod I'm going to do to this vintage baby is to upgrade her to Tech Sights. Might try floating out the front sight instead of cutting like I did my son's. I'd like to be able to put it back to original eventually. And not sure about dominance yet. But she sure can shoot it.

And absolutely when she is patient enough to be able to spend an entire day at the range, We'll be coming to see you guys, TJ! Hope to bring her older brother too, but he isnt as into shooting and has to work on patience. Maybe someday.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Sir,

That is some awesome Dad time! When she got behind the Garand did you set it up so she go the ping? The ping is guaranteed to get the "Garand grin".

Be careful with the 9MM pistol. My daughter was OK with an alloy framed pistol, but quickly came to dislike shooting pistol when she shot a polymer 9MM due to the recoil.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sir,

That is some awesome Dad time! When she got behind the Garand did you set it up so she go the ping? The ping is guaranteed to get the "Garand grin".

Be careful with the 9MM pistol. My daughter was OK with an alloy framed pistol, but quickly came to dislike shooting pistol when she shot a polymer 9MM due to the recoil.

Yep. She got it to ping. I gave her a specially made 2 round clip so she could without burning through all 8.

Top Bottom