• Status
    Not open for further replies.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm in agreement with you. I was wondering about the play calling for a couple of weeks but it's gotta be a ***** calling plays for players on injured reserve.
    This was such a disappointing season that just ended moments ago. Sad ending to the product put on the field.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unless something amazing happens in the draft, it'll be another "rebuilding" year.

Adam's gonna be gone, obviously. QB situation is in the air.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    What positions do you think we should try to fill?
    I'm assuming QB and a pass rusher or two?

Honestly is there a position that we DON’T need to improve on? QB. Corner. Receiver. Pass rusher. Interior D-line.

I guess you feel reasonably ok with the running backs, linebackers, o-line, and maybe safety although Hooker was pretty quiet all year.

If I were a betting guy, I’d bank on Brissett being the 2020 starter. Ballard could turn the fan base against him pretty quickly depending on how next season goes. You no longer have a sure-thing at QB with Andrew retired, so how does he respond?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Finding a quality, winning QB for next year is a tall order to say the least. An aging veteran is only short term. Hoyer didn't have much of a chance. Next to zero first team reps in a system he didn't have a clue as to how to run it.
    Give me some FitzMagic for one season. (I KEED) The guy has a cool beard
    Receivers going down like bowling pins didn't help a thing. TE position got mighty thin once Ebron crippled out. TY wasn't 100% this year and his contribution was down.
    Vinatieri was lucky to hit the toilet. I'd say 3 and possibly 4 loses came off the foot of AV. This kid they picked up (Chase McLaughlin) seems to be very competent at the K position.
    One thing for sure needed is a pass rush. No secondary can cover receivers indefinitely. A good pass rush will fix a lot of ailments on the defense.
    Quality players at ANY position will help. This team is limited at depth as well.
    How about a strength and conditioning coach? Healthy players make a difference.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Haven't you guys learned by now?

I'd rather play with my daughter's 'My Little Ponies'. At least they're more satisfying than the Colts. :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Finding a quality, winning QB for next year is a tall order to say the least. An aging veteran is only short term. Hoyer didn't have much of a chance. Next to zero first team reps in a system he didn't have a clue as to how to run it.
    Give me some FitzMagic for one season. (I KEED) The guy has a cool beard
    Receivers going down like bowling pins didn't help a thing. TE position got mighty thin once Ebron crippled out. TY wasn't 100% this year and his contribution was down.
    Vinatieri was lucky to hit the toilet. I'd say 3 and possibly 4 loses came off the foot of AV. This kid they picked up (Chase McLaughlin) seems to be very competent at the K position.
    One thing for sure needed is a pass rush. No secondary can cover receivers indefinitely. A good pass rush will fix a lot of ailments on the defense.
    Quality players at ANY position will help. This team is limited at depth as well.
    How about a strength and conditioning coach? Healthy players make a difference.

This is what I was going to suggest. We had the talent to do much better than we did this year. But no matter how much talent you have, if you're on IR, that talent ain't worth a damn. I've said it before (as much as I hate Tom Brady) - find out how he trains. Do that.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Colts will be about the same, record wise, next year, too.

Do they draft a QB? I certainly hope so. Trade for one? I hope so. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers both have expiring contracts this year. Do we rent one of those guys for a year? Do either of them want to continue playing?

I think Cam Newton is done in Carolina. Do they rent him for a season or two? Is he worth the money he'd be owed?

As said upthread, this team needs so much. I don't know that it can be done in yet another off-season.

Need a TRUE #1 WR. And we need a #3 and #4, too. Current players hold promise at 2-4, though.

Need a TE #2 and 3. Cox may suffice @ #3. I'd be in favor of Doyle being the #2 if we could somehow manage to get a stud field-stretching TE for the #1 spot.

Need better CBs and Safeties. However - the worse the DL is, the worse the secondary is almost by default.

So - They also need a much better DL. Across the board. I don't know if it's scheme, coaching, players, or a combination. It isn't working. Justin Houston has helped.

The main thing, also mentioned, is player availability. Too many starters have missed too many games. I'm not sure how they have fared relative to other teams, but the cycle continues here in Indy. Big name starters hurt / injured for long stretches. I know in the past the Colts have led the league in player-games missed due to injury. I bet they're up there this year, too. Is this due to players? Scheme? Strength / Conditioning? Combination?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is what I was going to suggest. We had the talent to do much better than we did this year. But no matter how much talent you have, if you're on IR, that talent ain't worth a damn. I've said it before (as much as I hate Tom Brady) - find out how he trains. Do that.

Apparently, he wrote a book about it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Colts will be about the same, record wise, next year, too.

Do they draft a QB? I certainly hope so. Trade for one? I hope so. Eli Manning and Philip Rivers both have expiring contracts this year. Do we rent one of those guys for a year? Do either of them want to continue playing?

I think Cam Newton is done in Carolina. Do they rent him for a season or two? Is he worth the money he'd be owed?

Eli Manning, Rivers, Newton, and Dalton will all be testing the FA waters this off-season. I don't want any of them. I'd rather keep Brissett than bring in an overpriced, aged vet.

As said upthread, this team needs so much. I don't know that it can be done in yet another off-season.

Need a TRUE #1 WR. And we need a #3 and #4, too. Current players hold promise at 2-4, though.

I'm going to disagree strongly that the Colts don't have a true #1 WR. TY Hilton is, by any imaginable standard, a true #1 WR. The jury is still out on the other pieces (Funchess injured in the first game of the season, Campbell fought various injuries all season, etc.).

Need a TE #2 and 3. Cox may suffice @ #3. I'd be in favor of Doyle being the #2 if we could somehow manage to get a stud field-stretching TE for the #1 spot.

This offense is designed to have a 2018 Ebron. It was considerably less-effective with the 2019 Ebron. I agree: a 2018-type Ebron is needed. The other TEs are fine in their roles.

Need better CBs and Safeties. However - the worse the DL is, the worse the secondary is almost by default.

So - They also need a much better DL.

They need more production out of their pass rushers, and more pressure on the QB without having to resort to blitzes. As soon as that happens, the defensive secondary will magically improve a hundredfold.

Across the board. I don't know if it's scheme, coaching, players, or a combination. It isn't working. Justin Houston has helped.

The main thing, also mentioned, is player availability. Too many starters have missed too many games. I'm not sure how they have fared relative to other teams, but the cycle continues here in Indy. Big name starters hurt / injured for long stretches. I know in the past the Colts have led the league in player-games missed due to injury. I bet they're up there this year, too. Is this due to players? Scheme? Strength / Conditioning? Combination?

There is so little difference from top to bottom in the league - especially in the AFC and in the South division - that a few, minor things make a huge difference. A couple made FGs and one fewer pick-six, and the Colts would be 10-6 and playoff-bound this year (and possibly division champs). I don't agree that across-the-board changes are needed.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Never too early to start the draft talk. Is there a QB that you love this year? Will Ballard shell out the draft picks to get a top pick?

You likely have better odds at the craps table than shelling out picks for a first round QB

First round picks, last decade in playoffs:

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Carson Wentz

Ryan Tannehill

Lamar Jackson

Josh Allen

Not in playoffs:

Cam Newton

Jared Goff

Andrew Luck

Matthew Stafford

Baker Mayfield

Jamie's Winston

Marcus Mariota

Mitchell Turbisky

Sam Bradford

RG III. Is a playoff backup.

Teddy Bridgwater. Is a playoff backup.

Blake Borties

Mark Sanchez

Sam Darnold

Josh Freeman

Brandon Weedon

Jake Locker

EJ Manual

Tim Tebow

Christian Ponder

Blaine Gabbert

Johnny Manziel

Josh Rosen

Paxton Lynch

This clearly indicates that they must build the team and be opportunistic about getting a QB

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom