• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Hey yall, need lots of advice from those of you that have taken cruises. i'm just starting to do research on a 5 day? with the wife, a 13 and 16 year old. Any advice you can give or tips on booking one would be greatly appreciated. use a travel agent or just book myself?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm no help. Never been on a cruise. The only way I'd go on one is if they let me drive the boat and stop wherever I wanted, for however long I wanted. I see them as like the "mass transit" of vacations.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Buy once cry once, as with most things in life, the more you spend upfront will save you in the long run. Get the very best stateroom you can, the very best dining/drinking package available, and you won’t go wrong. The closer you are to the water (cheaper staterooms) the more apt you are to motion sickness, and the more claustrophobic your accommodations are. Since you’re taking teens, one of the Carnival cruises would probably be more suited than the nicer Norwegians, Royal Caribbean is also a decent line. Or look into Disney cruises if 6’ rodents are your thing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Kids would probably like a Disney cruise. But all the cruise lines have plenty to do for all ages. The Disney boats are just more Disney focused, go figure.

I have done 3 day and 7 day cruises. I'm not sure about the itinerary for a 5 day. Three day cruises have a port of call each day. Seven day cruises usually have a couple days at sea. Would a five day have just one day at sea?

Either way, that doesn't matter much as days at sea are full of activities.

If you are really into research, look up www.cruisecritic.com. You will find information ad nausea there.

As far as cruise lines go, Carnival is considered the blue collar, party ship. Think Chevy. Royal Caribbean is a little more upscale. Think Buick? I have done both and would stick with Royal Caribbean. There are others but I am unfamiliar with them other than they are more money.

Whether to book direct of use an agent, that depends on the agent. We used one for our last cruise and they did help but didn't completely deliver on everything they said they would.

I will add this as I was typing when Vigilant posted. I don't buy the most expensive of everything. I get a small room as near the center of the boat as I can to minimize the movement. I get just enough rocking to make me sleep well. I don't spend on the room since the only thing I do in it is shower, change clothes and sleep.

I get the standard dining package with the early seating. The foods great and it's usually fun meeting new people. I have changed tables before when we met a couple that we hit off with and they had openings at their table.

I don't do the extra pay restaurants. The food has always been great though he Carnival food is not as good as RC.

I book my excursions direct on my own. I save at least 25%, usually much more.

If you have specific questions, I'll be glad to help either here or PM.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My wife went on a Carnival Cruise last spring.
    She said a lot of the food was nearly spoiled and unfit to eat.
    Many got sick from it.
    My wife just went hungry and ate very little.
    OTHERS we've spoken to that go on cruises said Carnival is one to avoid.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you like Black Friday shopping you'll love cruises! It's like a big alcohol and food filled bus taking you from mall to mall.

​ENJOY!

lol. That's true for a lot of people. Some cry when they check out at the end and see their bill for all the "extras". :):

However, that doesn't apply to my cruises. I don't bring home any souvenirs. Any shore excursions I do entail some sort of physical exercise. Climbing falls, scuba diving, swimming with stingrays, zip lining, kayaking, biking.

I eat good, but I don't overeat. I'm not much of a drinker so 1-2 drinks per day is about it for me. I get a workout daily in the gym.

Days at sea are filled with extracurricular activities that don't involve art auctions, Lido Deck parties or jewelry/watch sales. I take a wine tasting class (free drink for that day) or a cooking class (free special meal for that day).

Yes, I'm boring.:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Buy the drink packages ahead of time. They will really nickle and dime you with drinks on the ship.
    Buy gifts off the ship, not on.
    Dont buy their crappy art lol
    Book any shore excursions as soon as the date opens to do so if you are doing it through the ship. Prime excursions and times fill up fast.
    Get off the ship the earliest possible time. Maximize your days. You can sleep when you get back home.
    I recomend booking them on your own with reputable companies ahead of time. If you wait until port many times they have sold out or the ones you want at least.
    And if you try booking them on the ship the day of then you are going to wait in a line a mile long because a large number of people dont plan ahead.
    Use uber for shopping trips, not an excursion.
    Rental cars are an option too but don't forget the added insurance. If you crash it you can walk away free and clear.
    Be aware of hidden fees like daily gratuity fees. Find out what they are ahead of time so you can plan accordingly.
    Also most cruises will hit your card for a several hundred dollar deposit when you arrive to cover any onboard fees you rack up. So be aware of that.
    Get a room with a balcony. Its nice to be able to step outside.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I watched every episode of that show. As a kid, I really liked it. They could have so easily gotten off that island, but then the show would have ended. lol.
    Right?? I mean if "headhunters" could make their way TO the island then it seems like they could have found their way OFF the island. :):

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I hate cruises and don't understand why someone would choose that over say spending 5 days at one of the ports of call or somewhere else the cruise ship couldn't get to.

I think it is like staying at Great America without the roller coasters and ability to leave at the end of the day.

Would much rather rent a house somewhere, stay for the week and explore that area. I've done that all over the US, Mexico and Carribean.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm actually looking into a cruise this fall. I've never been on a cruise and normally wouldn't think of do it but I keep hearing how they are great they are to do with kids. Drop the kids off at the play area for the day and have adult time. The wife and I are still not sure of being on a boat with that many people for 4-5 days though. It sounds both like a good time and or a miserable time.

Top Bottom