• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Don’t ask why, but I went to a Dicks store in Indy today. It’s been over a yr since I was in the store. Attached is a pic of their entire gun inventory. That was all of it. The archery aisles had been converted to fishing equipment. They were still selling shells - shotgun and some pistol stuff. I’d say they’re now mostly concerned about soccer moms and little league dads.

Attachments

• FEE2C2E4-EBB9-45D8-8FD4-B65A65A8EF3A.jpg
      FEE2C2E4-EBB9-45D8-8FD4-B65A65A8EF3A.jpg
      109.1 KB · Views: 133

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Really miss Galyan's. The buyout by Dick's ruined a great retailer.

Galyan's Trading Company was an American sporting goods chain. It was founded in Plainfield, Indiana.
    The store began in 1946 as a grocery store, founded by Albert and Naomi Galyan. By the 1960s, the Galyans began selling sporting goods instead.[SUP][2][/SUP] The chain was purchased in 1995 by The Limited. At the time, the chain consisted of only five stores, but grew to 20 by 1999 when The Limited sold 60% of the company to the investment firm of Freeman, Spogli & Company. The company became a publicly traded company when it released its IPO on NASDAQ in 2001.[SUP][10][/SUP] Many of the stores featured rock climbing walls, golf simulators, and archery ranges.

By 2004, Galyan's had 47 stores in 21 states. That same year, the chain was acquired by Dick's Sporting Goods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galyan's

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Galyan's Trading Company was an American sporting goods chain. It was founded in Plainfield, Indiana.
    The store began in 1946 as a grocery store, founded by Albert and Naomi Galyan. By the 1960s, the Galyans began selling sporting goods instead.[SUP][2][/SUP] The chain was purchased in 1995 by The Limited. At the time, the chain consisted of only five stores, but grew to 20 by 1999 when The Limited sold 60% of the company to the investment firm of Freeman, Spogli & Company. The company became a publicly traded company when it released its IPO on NASDAQ in 2001.[SUP][10][/SUP] Many of the stores featured rock climbing walls, golf simulators, and archery ranges.

By 2004, Galyan's had 47 stores in 21 states. That same year, the chain was acquired by Dick's Sporting Goods.

Wow, I'd forgotten about Galyan's. They were really awesome stores. There's a big hole in the market around here, now. Cabellas is ok, but they are too far away, for me.

So how is Dick's doing financially these days? I try not to wish ill will on anyone, but the way they've played games with this issue left me hoping they'd wither and die on the vine.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Don’t ask why, but I went to a Dicks store in Indy today. It’s been over a yr since I was in the store. Attached is a pic of their entire gun inventory. That was all of it. The archery aisles had been converted to fishing equipment. They were still selling shells - shotgun and some pistol stuff. I’d say they’re now mostly concerned about soccer moms and little league dads.

Which store was that?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

The executives at Dicks, being the Dicks they were, recognized the Galyan's would soon overtake them as the country's best sporting goods retailer. While Galyans was growing they still were a tender tree in the sporting goods forest and Dicks had to stop that tree before it overtook them. Dicks first started an aggressive head to head building program, building massive stores in Castleton, Carmel, and other locations to physically confront Galyan's in their home market, to flood the market with cheap imported Wal-Mart grade sporting goods. This and other financial moves dicked Galyan's and Dicks "acquired" Galyan's.

For those that were not around Galyan's, they were building awesome mega deep sporting goods stores. I will use the ski department as my example of how deep they were. If you went in and needs a budget ski package to go skiing in southern Indiana they could outfit you and generally had it in stock. If you were skiing the worlds most challenging slopes, they had that equipment too, and usually in stock to look at, feel, and try on, and they had stock in between.

But what good is it if they have the goods, but just some pimple face high school kid to assist you? That was magic at Galyan's, they had a great group of full time employees, but to take it to another level, their part timers, who generally worked there as a second job, were offered very generous merchandise discounts and were hired to work specific departments, thus the part timer in skis was generally a ski enthusiast. It was like that throughout the store.

Early in my life and marriage, date night out was dinner and several hours learning and drooling about outdoors sporting goods I couldn't afford. LOL

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I remember Galyan's in Plainfield. You could go there and buy a boat out of the parking lot.

There was a new Galyans being built across from Greenwood Park Mall. While it was being built, Dick's put a store in the mall. Dicks bought out Galyans. The Plainfield store closed. The one across the mall never opened. It too was supposed to have rock climbing walls and such and could have rivaled Cabellas. The new never opened store sat empty for years, and is now Ashley Furniture.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yes, I liked Galyan's a lot.
    I went to the one at Castleton frequently.
    When it became Dick's, I soon thought it was an inferior store and stopped going there.

I hate when a superior business is bought out by an inferior business.
    Reminds me of when Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The executives at Dicks, being the Dicks they were, recognized the Galyan's would soon overtake them as the country's best sporting goods retailer. While Galyans was growing they still were a tender tree in the sporting goods forest and Dicks had to stop that tree before it overtook them. Dicks first started an aggressive head to head building program, building massive stores in Castleton, Carmel, and other locations to physically confront Galyan's in their home market, to flood the market with cheap imported Wal-Mart grade sporting goods. This and other financial moves dicked Galyan's and Dicks "acquired" Galyan's.

For those that were not around Galyan's, they were building awesome mega deep sporting goods stores. I will use the ski department as my example of how deep they were. If you went in and needs a budget ski package to go skiing in southern Indiana they could outfit you and generally had it in stock. If you were skiing the worlds most challenging slopes, they had that equipment too, and usually in stock to look at, feel, and try on, and they had stock in between.

But what good is it if they have the goods, but just some pimple face high school kid to assist you? That was magic at Galyan's, they had a great group of full time employees, but to take it to another level, their part timers, who generally worked there as a second job, were offered very generous merchandise discounts and were hired to work specific departments, thus the part timer in skis was generally a ski enthusiast. It was like that throughout the store.

Early in my life and marriage, date night out was dinner and several hours learning and drooling about outdoors sporting goods I couldn't afford. LOL

Agreed, the fishing as well as gun departments were similarly staffed and stocked. A great depth of product. Dick's never had such, and even if it were not for their stupidity and active lobbying against the 2A, I outgrew their complete lack of any real depth in my areas of interest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom