• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We're out of cards. Not by choice, mind you. Between Christmas and New Year's we got an email notice from our credit card company asking if we just spent over $1300 at hotels.com. When we called they had several other charges we did not recognize, including one for 81 cents to the City of Marion water department. All that was stopped, and we had to cut up our cards until they sent us a new one (I hate memorizing a new cc#). Then today our bank asks about some expenditures on our debit card. More attempted scams. So we now have to cut up our debit card, too.

And while we wait, we are fresh out of credit. We only have one credit and one debit card. Good thing we have some cash handy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That sucks. I've had my debit card compromised a few times, and having to wait a week to 10 days for a new one was a pain. Fortunately, now my credit union can print a new one right in the branch, so no more waiting. I hated having to plan how much cash to keep on hand, not being able to "pay at the pump" to get gas, etc.. Hopefully they'll get you taken care of quick.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One reason why we have an online-only card and a general use card, and don't use our debit for anything. Helps contain the risk, and we have a backup in a pinch.

And yeah, keep enough cash on hand for a week worth of normal living.

I hate thieves.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    OP, why would you ever need to memorize the card number?
    Faster ordering for supplies and ammo!
    Also as a brain exercise. I do the Celebrity Cipher in the paper every morning for the same reason. Reading the rest of the leftist rag we have for a paper (WaPo light) dulls my brain enough I have to give it every exercise opportunity I can.
    Looks like I may have to activate the Amazon card they've been trying to get me to use for years.

We have never used our debit card online, but it seems to have disappeared under suspicious circumstances. SWMBO and I went out for an evening and she left her phone at home, which has a case wallet that has her debit and library card. While we were gone a young adult we are mentoring showed up at our house while our youngest was there. He stayed a while and socialized, but left before we got home. Charges started appearing after that, and SWMBO discovered her library card was with her phone, but the debit card was gone. This young adult has a proven record of theft in the past.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    ?? What lack of protections? If they are Visa or MC branded, they carry the same protection if used as a Visa or MasterCard, and not a PIN purchase?
    I know federal law is different on them. Individual companies may provide more protection.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Also as a brain exercise. I do the Celebrity Cipher in the paper every morning for the same reason. Reading the rest of the leftist rag we have for a paper (WaPo light) dulls my brain enough I have to give it every exercise opportunity I can.
    Looks like I may have to activate the Amazon card they've been trying to get me to use for years.

We have never used our debit card online, but it seems to have disappeared under suspicious circumstances. SWMBO and I went out for an evening and she left her phone at home, which has a case wallet that has her debit and library card. While we were gone a young adult we are mentoring showed up at our house while our youngest was there. He stayed a while and socialized, but left before we got home. Charges started appearing after that, and SWMBO discovered her library card was with her phone, but the debit card was gone. This young adult has a proven record of theft in the past.

I use a password manager (Last Pass) that stores all of my card info and I can fill in online fields with one mouse click. No memorization for me.

That sucks about the missing card. I hope the kid didn't take it, but it sounds likely.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know federal law is different on them. Individual companies may provide more protection.

Personal liability on fraudulent debit card charges mainly depend on when you report the card as lost or stolen. If you lose the physical card and report it within two days the limit is the same as a credit card - $50. If you didn't actually lose the card but the number was stolen the liability is zero provided you report the charge within the 60 day window.

Reporting the loss or theft of the card between 2 - 60 days of the charges could leave you on the hook for up to $500 in charges made during that time. After 60 days you're on your own, but you probably would be with a CC too.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Personal liability on fraudulent debit card charges mainly depend on when you report the card as lost or stolen. If you lose the physical card and report it within two days the limit is the same as a credit card - $50. If you didn't actually lose the card but the number was stolen the liability is zero provided you report the charge within the 60 day window.

Reporting the loss or theft of the card between 2 - 60 days of the charges could leave you on the hook for up to $500 in charges made during that time. After 60 days you're on your own, but you probably would be with a CC too.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

I don't know whether it's due to my credit union or MasterCard, but I've always been refunded all fraudulent charges and now I get a phone call from their fraud department if something looks funny to them. They've caught things before I've seen them before. Now, I will say that the one thing that kind of irritates me is that if they find something that looks funny, and it's in a "pending" status, they can't kill it then and there. They have to wait for the money to come out of my account and then they promptly refund it. Seems like it would be easier for them to just stop it in the pending stage, but I'm guessing that's an IT issue more than a policy issue.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't know whether it's due to my credit union or MasterCard, but I've always been refunded all fraudulent charges and now I get a phone call from their fraud department if something looks funny to them. They've caught things before I've seen them before. Now, I will say that the one thing that kind of irritates me is that if they find something that looks funny, and it's in a "pending" status, they can't kill it then and there. They have to wait for the money to come out of my account and then they promptly refund it. Seems like it would be easier for them to just stop it in the pending stage, but I'm guessing that's an IT issue more than a policy issue.

Most banks go above and beyond because it's good customer service. The link I posted is just what's required that they cover by law.

Basically debit and credit cards have the exact same protections provided you're on top of things and report charges right away. The one benefit a credit cards offers is that because the money isn't connected to your bank account you aren't stuck waiting for the money to be put back into the account after the fraudulent charges have been resolved.

If a thief empties your account it can cause major cash flow issues if you don't have reserves to cover other expenses or bills while you wait for the money to be put back into the account.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

I had to look up what SWMBO meant. Very clever.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With two breaches on your accounts, I would be looking for malware on any computer you use.

This. The odds of multiple cards hit that close together is a little too convenient. What Antivirus software do you use? And do you use malwarebytes?

?? What lack of protections? If they are Visa or MC branded, they carry the same protection if used as a Visa or MasterCard, and not a PIN purchase?

The difference is during the dispute process, you are not liable for the charges if its a credit card. If its a debit card the bank may not put the money back in your account for you to use until after the investigation is over. So even if you do get all your money back, you may not have any for several weeks. :eek: (but this varies from bank to bank)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That .81 charge was probably a test; any good bank would have recognized that and started tracking...and asking you if you did that, mine does all the time and will deactivate my card if I don't answer in due time.

Top Bottom