Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

The Great Credit Card Slice-Up

We're out of cards. Not by choice, mind you. Between Christmas and New Year's we got an email notice from our credit card company asking if we just spent over $1300 at hotels.com. When we called they had several other charges we did not recognize, including one for 81 cents to the City of Marion water department. All that was stopped, and we had to cut up our cards until they sent us a new one (I hate memorizing a new cc#). Then today our bank asks about some expenditures on our debit card. More attempted scams. So we now have to cut up our debit card, too.

And while we wait, we are fresh out of credit. We only have one credit and one debit card. Good thing we have some cash handy.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

That sucks. I've had my debit card compromised a few times, and having to wait a week to 10 days for a new one was a pain. Fortunately, now my credit union can print a new one right in the branch, so no more waiting. I hated having to plan how much cash to keep on hand, not being able to "pay at the pump" to get gas, etc.. Hopefully they'll get you taken care of quick.

User Info Menu

One reason why we have an online-only card and a general use card, and don't use our debit for anything. Helps contain the risk, and we have a backup in a pinch.

And yeah, keep enough cash on hand for a week worth of normal living.

I hate thieves.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

OP, why would you ever need to memorize the card number?
    If I get home before daylight, just might get some sleep tonight.

Expert

User Info Menu

With two breaches on your accounts, I would be looking for malware on any computer you use.

User Info Menu

Never had a debit card because of the lack of protections.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    OP, why would you ever need to memorize the card number?
    Faster ordering for supplies and ammo!
    Also as a brain exercise. I do the Celebrity Cipher in the paper every morning for the same reason. Reading the rest of the leftist rag we have for a paper (WaPo light) dulls my brain enough I have to give it every exercise opportunity I can.
    Looks like I may have to activate the Amazon card they've been trying to get me to use for years.

We have never used our debit card online, but it seems to have disappeared under suspicious circumstances. SWMBO and I went out for an evening and she left her phone at home, which has a case wallet that has her debit and library card. While we were gone a young adult we are mentoring showed up at our house while our youngest was there. He stayed a while and socialized, but left before we got home. Charges started appearing after that, and SWMBO discovered her library card was with her phone, but the debit card was gone. This young adult has a proven record of theft in the past.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Never had a debit card because of the lack of protections.
    ?? What lack of protections? If they are Visa or MC branded, they carry the same protection if used as a Visa or MasterCard, and not a PIN purchase?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    ?? What lack of protections? If they are Visa or MC branded, they carry the same protection if used as a Visa or MasterCard, and not a PIN purchase?
    I know federal law is different on them. Individual companies may provide more protection.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I know federal law is different on them. Individual companies may provide more protection.
    That's my understanding as well. I don't use my debit card for any purchases either.
    https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...ebit-card-pay/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast