Can anyone with a sewing machine help me out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I managed to tear a hole in my hunting jacket. I'd rather not buy a new one, but I don't own a sewing machine. Can anyone somewhat close to Kokomo help me out?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’m not a tailor or a seamstress, (however my mother-in-law is :) I’m learning how to sew from her) but I don’t think machine sewing will be your best bet there. It’s hard to feed that kind of rip into the machine since it has a lining and can’t be turned inside out to have the seam folded in. Your best bet is to sew it by hand or to cover it with an adhesive-backed fabric patch.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Put a heat activated adhesive patch under the tear and put an iron to it. Couple of stitches by hand to secure the edges closer together b4 you iron might be a good thing.
    Not like it's your best suit you need for a wedding this week.

You can get the patches in the sewing aisle at walmart. Prolly could buy a green one and put it on the outside, even.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Iron-on patch will work fine. If it is the sleeve, hand sewing after the patch is in place, may be the only way to go.

If it not the sleve, let me know. My 1947 Singer could fix it up. I live near Kokomo.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Put a heat activated adhesive patch under the tear and put an iron to it. Couple of stitches by hand to secure the edges closer together b4 you iron might be a good thing.
    Not like it's your best suit you need for a wedding this week.

You can get the patches in the sewing aisle at walmart. Prolly could buy a green one and put it on the outside, even.

Wife says this is the Winner. Stitch Witchery will work and not be as noticeable. Cut it square, place on inside fix edges and then iron. The outside patch will work but will be more noticeable, maybe you could find a camo patch for repair. I'm a klutz so I've had several of these repairs. :yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, I agree with the iron on patch solution if you're not comfortable with just stitching it up yourself. Looks like about a 5 minute repair with just a needle and thread.

Top Bottom