• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just seeing if anyone has seen this yet. I am wanting to go and would like to take my 12 yr old daughter. She has seen Hacksaw Ridge and Band of Brothers and likes them. I am wanting to know if there is any nudity/sex and how violent it is. Saving Private Ryan I feel is a little much for her and have not let her watch that yet. Just curious how it compares to other war movies.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I went and saw it Friday. I have been looking forward to this one since the first previews came out.

There is no nudity/sex, zilch. There is some profanity, but not much. They don't use profanities as a normal way of talking, but let them slip in some situations. The violence is very much on par with Hacksaw Ridge, rather than Saving Private Ryan. The worst thing for a kid would be the scenes with corpses. The camera doesn't linger on them, but some of them are grisly.

Frankly, I would say overall it is less gruesome than Band of Brothers, if she was fine with that then this should be ok.

I really enjoyed it, plan to see it again. I think the basic story is somewhat hokey, but I won't bother explaining for fear of giving up spoilers, plus I don't think it matters. All that aside, it is a very good movie and the whole effect of it being filmed as one continuous shot is worth seeing for itself. It is a very interesting example of the movie making art that lends itself very well to heightening the intensity of a war movie. You feel like you have spent the movie walking along beside the main characters. It is based on stories told by the director's grandfather, who was a runner during the war, so it appears to based on real events.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/21/7903...ctor-sam-mendes-on-the-family-history-in-1917

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We saw it Thursday night, as modern "gore" goes this one wasn't bad at all. An initial scene was more gross than anything but after that there weren't gratuitous bodies strewn around. No where near the level of Hacksaw Ridge or SPR. Neither one of us thought it was your typical war movie although lately it seems they have more focused on historical events rather than the good guy in the white hat riding in to save the day type movies.

History is rarely glorious; the pinnacle event can be glorious but when broken down into individual moments you look at it and wonder if we can survive. I would not pay to see this movie again but that is not a knock on the movie, more a knock on the activities of war I guess.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We saw it Thursday night, as modern "gore" goes this one wasn't bad at all. An initial scene was more gross than anything but after that there weren't gratuitous bodies strewn around. No where near the level of Hacksaw Ridge or SPR. Neither one of us thought it was your typical war movie although lately it seems they have more focused on historical events rather than the good guy in the white hat riding in to save the day type movies.

History is rarely glorious; the pinnacle event can be glorious but when broken down into individual moments you look at it and wonder if we can survive. I would not pay to see this movie again but that is not a knock on the movie, more a knock on the activities of war I guess.

This is why I want to see this movie. Not for the images as much as for the story.
    History, at times, fascinates me. The trials and tragedies endured during a war, and especially THIS war, simply boggles the mind.
    Tanks, machine guns, mustard gas...there was more to worry about besides a bullet.
    The underground war at the front, digging tunnels and setting mines under the enemies front lines, was unbelievable.

Carnage is only one aspect of war.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is why I want to see this movie. Not for the images as much as for the story.
    History, at times, fascinates me. The trials and tragedies endured during a war, and especially THIS war, simply boggles the mind.
    Tanks, machine guns, mustard gas...there was more to worry about besides a bullet.
    The underground war at the front, digging tunnels and setting mines under the enemies front lines, was unbelievable.

Carnage is only one aspect of war.

You'll really appreciate the bunker scene, indeed mind boggling.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'll be seeing this one in IMAX. I can't remember the last time I went to see a movie that wasn't IMAX. Everything else pales in comparison.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    See it in IMAX, it's worth it.

I didn't notice any glaring weapons screw ups, but the cinematography was good enough to mask small stuff.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok, I just got back from seeing this. Everyone is saying it's a lock for Best Picture and it's one that has to be seen in the theater.

All I can say is OVERRATED.

I mean, it was OK. As others have said, the way it was shot as one continuous scene was very unique and made for a very nice visual. But as far as plot and action? A big meh.

It had a few of the tropes you'd expect to find in a war movie, but there's very little that actually happens. There was a surprise explosion, and the plane crash scene was decent, but beyond that I kept waiting for the actual war parts. I mean there were like 8 explosions in the entire movie. I don't know why anyone would say you "have" to see it on a big screen. Why, to see a giant open field with nothing happening? Or a bunch of guys pushing a truck stuck in the mud?

The ending was never really ever in doubt and I never really felt any suspense for the characters. I really didn't care about the main guy. He had a couple of brief run-ins with German soldiers, but beyond that there just wasn't anything of substance.

It's like when you hear about some great new restaurant that everyone raves about, then you get there, pay $100 for an entree and get served little tiny foo-foo food and leave hungry.

I may be in the minority, but I'd give it a C+ at best. I don't regret seeing it, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A friend of mine went to see it, and said that it something I should wait to see. He thought the best part was a dogfight, but that it wasn't all that special.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok, I just got back from seeing this. Everyone is saying it's a lock for Best Picture and it's one that has to be seen in the theater.

All I can say is OVERRATED.

I mean, it was OK. As others have said, the way it was shot as one continuous scene was very unique and made for a very nice visual. But as far as plot and action? A big meh.

It had a few of the tropes you'd expect to find in a war movie, but there's very little that actually happens. There was a surprise explosion, and the plane crash scene was decent, but beyond that I kept waiting for the actual war parts. I mean there were like 8 explosions in the entire movie. I don't know why anyone would say you "have" to see it on a big screen. Why, to see a giant open field with nothing happening? Or a bunch of guys pushing a truck stuck in the mud?

The ending was never really ever in doubt and I never really felt any suspense for the characters. I really didn't care about the main guy. He had a couple of brief run-ins with German soldiers, but beyond that there just wasn't anything of substance.

It's like when you hear about some great new restaurant that everyone raves about, then you get there, pay $100 for an entree and get served little tiny foo-foo food and leave hungry.

I may be in the minority, but I'd give it a C+ at best. I don't regret seeing it, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.

I hadn't even read this when I posted, that about sums up what my friends thought.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very well made with no mistakes with weapons or uniforms that I noticed. Nice to watch a movie like this and not roll my eyes at least once.

Top Bottom