• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So where does one go within a 10-12 hr drive. Needs to be family friendly, and possibly a destination area. We are looking at some time in May. I kind of like the idea of visiting a ghost town, or some other historical sites. Seems like places like myrtle beach have become so commercial.
    Thoughts

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Lots of history in Saint Augustine, FL, which is a little less than 10 hours from you. An old fort and "old city" to explore, plus the added bonus of the beach. It has a couple of touristy attractions like a Ripley's museum, but still a cool town to visit. (Actually, the Ripley's is really cool, and family friendly.) Shouldn't be overly crowded in May, and the weather will probably be fairly good. No ghost towns that I am aware of, but they do have a neat "ghost tour" through the old city. Saint Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement within the borders of the continental U.S.

Last edited:

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Idea #1:
    - Gettysburg, PA...
    - Antietam, MD...
    - then hit the beach in Rehoboth DE.
    The visitor center is great at Antietam, where a park ranger summarizes the battle for your pleasure. You could spend all day+ at Gettysburg.

Idea #2:
    - The National WWII museum in New Orleans. One of the best museums I've seen in this country. They have a huge exhibit dedicated to the European theater, another dedicated to the Pacific theater, and a third focusing on the home front.
    - Lots to do in New Orleans!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Dauphin island Alabama has ft gains, and is about 45 minutes from the USS Alabama museum which is amazing.

Great idea Alan! Huntsville, AL is worth a stop to/from. They have an AMAZING US Space and Rocket Center. Huntsville, AL has highest per capita concentration of PhDs in US I hear.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Drive to Indy Intl airport. Fly to Bahama. Relax mon. No worries!

Been to caves / caverns in Kenntucky? Kentucky Down Under??
    Lookout Mountain???

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Dauphin is a great place.

You mentioned ghost...Savannah, Georgia is a cool place with lots of lore and ghost tours. Also close to Charleston and several lesser traveled beaches.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Idea #1:
    - Gettysburg, PA...
    - Antietam, MD...
    - then hit the beach in Rehoboth DE.
    The visitor center is great at Antietam, where a park ranger summarizes the battle for your pleasure. You could spend all day+ at Gettysburg.

This right here. Gettysburg is amazing. We make it out there twice a year.

The drive through the battlefield is terrific, we love doing it at dusk they also have "Ghost" tours at night. If camping, Drummer Boy has the best campground there. If staying in a hotel we like the 1862 Hotel. It is nothing fancy, but it is right in the middle of town, you can walk to everything.

My other choice is Gatlinburg. The Smokey Mountain National Park is very cool to visit.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I was going to suggest Civil War sites too if that interest the gang.

Natchez Mississippi has some great homes to tour. The drive along the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez is pleasant. Look at their website, the Spring Pilgrimage opens up some homes that are only available to see once a year.

What about DC? Tons of museums and sights to see. Yes, it’s a swamp, but it is our nation’s capital. I had not been for 20 years and did an Honor Flight tour last fall. I need to see DC again as there is so much to see.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dauphin island Alabama has ft gains, and is about 45 minutes from the USS Alabama museum which is amazing.

Great idea Alan! Huntsville, AL is worth a stop to/from. They have an AMAZING US Space and Rocket Center. Huntsville, AL has highest per capita concentration of PhDs in US I hear.

The Gulf coast from at least Mobile to the Emerald Coast is actually pretty decent without being OVERLY commercialized. Pensacola is right at the 12 hour limit on a straight thru run. Lots of cool civil war history in the area as well as more modern stuff. You can always stop by the CMP store in Alabama on your way down although it's about an hour out of the way.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can do in one trip: St. Augustine, FL then to Savannah, GA, then to Charleston, SC. Then back home.

That's a trip I'd like to do one day. All are well within 12 hours of you.

Also - I just realized that I was down your way not too long ago. We stayed with my wife's cousin that lives inside Cedars of Lebanon St. Park.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If your kids are old enough to remember I would suggest Washington DC.
    Theres endless attractions to visit in and around the city. They and you will talk about for the rest of their lives.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The Gulf coast from at least Mobile to the Emerald Coast is actually pretty decent without being OVERLY commercialized. Pensacola is right at the 12 hour limit on a straight thru run. Lots of cool civil war history in the area as well as more modern stuff. You can always stop by the CMP store in Alabama on your way down although it's about an hour out of the way.

Naval Air Museum and white sand beaches, if you want a little R&R also, without being a total tourist trap. Santa Rosa Island has lots of accommodations, but all along the Gulf Coast is pretty nice.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    YMMV. Having been to both the Pensacola area and St. Augustine, I will gladly visit Pensacola again but can't see any reason to ever go back to St. Augustine. Neither are the typical tourist trap but Pensacola is tourist friendly. St. Augustine kind of gave off an anti tourist vibe when I was there. The beaches are much nicer with much better access in Pensacola. The restaurants are also a lot better. In addition to the previously mentioned Naval Air Museum, there is the Air Force Armament Museum nearby in Destin and Fort Pickens in the National Seashore. If you time it right, it is possible to watch the Blue Angels practicing across the bay from the Fort Pickens Pier.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

YMMV. Having been to both the Pensacola area and St. Augustine, I will gladly visit Pensacola again but can't see any reason to ever go back to St. Augustine. Neither are the typical tourist trap but Pensacola is tourist friendly. St. Augustine kind of gave off an anti tourist vibe when I was there. The beaches are much nicer with much better access in Pensacola. The restaurants are also a lot better. In addition to the previously mentioned Naval Air Museum, there is the Air Force Armament Museum nearby in Destin and Fort Pickens in the National Seashore. If you time it right, it is possible to watch the Blue Angels practicing across the bay from the Fort Pickens Pier.

Blue Angels Practice Schedule

Currently limiting access to the museum to current DoD ID holders and their guests. Bummer!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So where does one go within a 10-12 hr drive. Needs to be family friendly, and possibly a destination area. We are looking at some time in May. I kind of like the idea of visiting a ghost town, or some other historical sites. Seems like places like myrtle beach have become so commercial.
    Thoughts
    Pigeon Forge, Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville Resort!

Top Bottom