The unofficial Churches should not be tax exempt thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Churches be tax exempt?

• Total voters

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No, because the current tax code that allows them to be tax exempt limits their freedom of speech.

The code also encourages the creation of scams, such as scientology.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No one should be tax exempt.

Really? I give money to an organization that assists battered women and children, you are saying they should pay taxes on the money I give them? Political parties should pay taxes on contributions? Boys and girls clubs should pay taxes? Scouts? How about a neighborhood HOA? Non-profit organizations should not be taxed...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Really? I give money to an organization that assists battered women and children, you are saying they should pay taxes on the money I give them? Political parties should pay taxes on contributions? Boys and girls clubs should pay taxes? Scouts? How about a neighborhood HOA? Non-profit organizations should not be taxed...

Another solid point.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I find it odd that anyone would think themselves conservative or libertarian and want any person or entity to give more money to the government.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am disappointed that bacon is not doing better.

The point I made in the other thread was, Churches should never take government money.

Why? Because if they take government money they are or will be limited by government regulations.

BTW the gag on politics in Churches only applies to white churches. Yes that sounds prejudiced, but it is fact.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's an incoming pool of money from tax free donations. Most of it goes to pastor's salary, expense account, housing allowance, transportation allowance, pastor's retirement, building mortgage, upkeep and maintenance. Bigger churches, associate pastor, church secretary, maybe missions in the budget if they want to go mission somewhere for a couple weeks.

If anything could be taxed, maybe the salary, but I don't know. House payment, car and maintenance, would probably fall under the church umbrella.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My church supports nearly 300 Missionaries and 4 in country teams.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    BTW the gag on politics in Churches only applies to white churches. Yes that sounds prejudiced, but it is fact.

I think that one of the biggest failings of churches in the U.S. is that the category you named is a concept that makes sense.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    James Madison: "I cannot underwtake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

John Marshall: "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

Thomas Jefferson: "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Will Rogers: "The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."

Winston Churchill: "There is no such thing as a good tax."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's an incoming pool of money from tax free donations. Most of it goes to pastor's salary, expense account, housing allowance, transportation allowance, pastor's retirement, building mortgage, upkeep and maintenance. Bigger churches, associate pastor, church secretary, maybe missions in the budget if they want to go mission somewhere for a couple weeks.

If anything could be taxed, maybe the salary, but I don't know. House payment, car and maintenance, would probably fall under the church umbrella.

The pastor's salary is taxable.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Right Jessie and Al should be allowed to support Dems and campaign in black Churches all they want.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When I look at the local churches I say no.
    When I see the preachers on TV wearing expensive suits, living in mansions, and owning private jets then I want them taxed like everybody else.

Top Bottom