• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I don’t have an official New Years resolution list but I’ve developed an interest in the circulation of the “other” denominations. $2 bills, $1 coins, and half dollars.

I’ve been getting $2 bills at the bank for a while now and I use them sporadically. Mostly for tips, and occasionally when I think someone might appreciate it.

$1 coins I think most people are aware of them more so than $2’s. it’s really fascinating the government has tried for ages to make the $1 coin take off in terms of popularity. The Ike dollars, Susan B Anthony’s, Sacagawea’s, and most recently the Presidential dollars. None of them have drawn the circulation they had hoped for and as I understand it they are sitting on huge piles of these coins because they made so many and the demand is so low.

half dollars are similar, just see them even more rarely in every day transactions than the others in my experience.

all three of these can be ordered by your bank from the federal reserve, and all are generally face value, but get treated like collectors items when they do get circulated. I’m going to try to use these more often.

Anyone else like using these pieces of currency? What has your experience been?
    what do you think?

also I know the current trend is a cashless society but I think that’s a load of stupidity and have used plastic less and less in the past couple years. Cash is king.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I didn't know you could have your bank order these (uncirculated?) coins. It seems that a numismatist would want the ones that hadn't been in circulation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When I travel for work I always try to get at least $30-$40 in $2 bills for tipping hotel staff, bar tenders etc. People generally remember somebody that gives them a $2 bill and it leads to great service.

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Kennedy half dollar. The dollar coins are more common, but still extremely rare in the wild.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When I travel for work I always try to get at least $30-$40 in $2 bills for tipping hotel staff, bar tenders etc. People generally remember somebody that gives them a $2 bill and it leads to great service.

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Kennedy half dollar. The dollar coins are more common, but still extremely rare in the wild.

Back in my Wilder times, $2 bills worked well in the dimly lit, smoke filled, gentleman establishments.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Those are the places that are great for a sack of dollar coins. Some guys like to make it rain ... I like to make it hail.

That's not where my mind wandered. I was thinking about how the "tuck" would go. :naughty:

True story... I had to go to Missisauga (Canada - near Toronto) on business years ago, and got talked into going into an "all nude" gentleman's club (where just about all the girls had some kind of Eastern European accent). When it came time to "tip", I was a bit confused.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Well they are technically circulated, but you could get brand new ones potentially. I watch a YouTube channel where the guy hunts for coins for silver and errors and stuff (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxD98GXG8opPMHA6-JJSyJg) he goes to banks and grabs boxes of $500 of Kennedy half dollars. As well as other stuff. Pretty cool!! But so few people use them or know about them, that I’ve got a few bank tellers who tell me they can’t order them, but the bank tellers who really know things know that they could get halves if they wanted.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That's not where my mind wandered. I was thinking about how the "tuck" would go. :naughty:

True story... I had to go to Missisauga (Canada - near Toronto) on business years ago, and got talked into going into an "all nude" gentleman's club (where just about all the girls had some kind of Eastern European accent). When it came time to "tip", I was a bit confused.

You tip on how far the ping pong ball went!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Low denomination coins are great for a Peso Show, or so I heard. Look that up at you own risk

Seen it. P.I. in the early 80's. Always funny till someone heats one up in the middle of the stack using a lighter. Then the butterfly knife came out!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Gun show here a week or so ago and the entry fee was $6.00. If you got change on entry they included a $2.00 bill. Honestly it was annoying. No store has its till set up to handle them and honestly they are half as useless as ones.

I would vote to force the circulation of a dollar coin by withdrawing the bill at the same time. I like the British £ 1 coin. It is slightly smaller in diameter than a quarter but substantially thicker.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And here I thought this thread would be about Presbyterian Church of America, Association of Independent Methodists, General Six-Principle Baptists...

Top Bottom