• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have an opioid prescription that requires refill authorizations from my family doctor every 30 days. The pharmacy then fills a 30 day scrip. Today I went to pick up the prescription and was informed I was one day early. The pharmacist’s assistant said due to federal law an opioid prescription can only be filled every thirty (subject to a two day early availability) I.e 28 day interval.

So, now I get to make a return trip to the pharmacy. Anyone know for certain if there is actually a federal regulation preventing “early” prescription refills ?

Thanks in advance

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have an opioid prescription that requires refill authorizations from my family doctor every 30 days. The pharmacy then fills a 30 day scrip. Today I went to pick up the prescription and was informed I was one day early. The pharmacist’s assistant said due to federal law an opioid prescription can only be filled every thirty (subject to a two day early availability) I.e 28 day interval.

So, now I get to make a return trip to the pharmacy. Anyone know for certain if there is actually a federal regulation preventing “early” prescription refills ?

Thanks in advance

Full disclosure: I am not a medical professional of any kind. I work in a very large Pharmacy, I am a Management Analyst.

Opioid is more than likely a Schedule II (AKA C-II) drug. The Pharmacy (presumably CVS/Walgreens/Wal-Mart/etc.) is going to have a policy in place on filling any prescription, C-II will have the most strict policies. Fill date on a 30 day fill means it can't be filled for 30 days. Mailed prescriptions will be processed a number of days early, but the fill date will be 30 days after the last 30 day fill.

Dispensing controlled substances is taken very seriously. The consequences of not following chapter and verse of the DEA (who also licenses Pharmacies, Doctors, wholesalers, distributors, manufacturers, you get the picture) are severe.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    This happens to me all the time. Even drugs like Tramadol which is not an opioid but has affinity to opioid sensors are classified every 30 from last fill date not calender number. Always fill on time. It's a pain in the ass but opiods can constipate some people. (Ha!)

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Full disclosure: I am not a medical professional of any kind. I work in a very large Pharmacy, I am a Management Analyst.

Opioid is more than likely a Schedule II (AKA C-II) drug. The Pharmacy (presumably CVS/Walgreens/Wal-Mart/etc.) is going to have a policy in place on filling any prescription, C-II will have the most strict policies. Fill date on a 30 day fill means it can't be filled for 30 days. Mailed prescriptions will be processed a number of days early, but the fill date will be 30 days after the last 30 day fill.

Dispensing controlled substances is taken very seriously. The consequences of not following chapter and verse of the DEA (who also licenses Pharmacies, Doctors, wholesalers, distributors, manufacturers, you get the picture) are severe.

If it’s a “federal law” guess I’ll just have to chalk it up to another intrusion by the federal government. If it’s a phamarcy, in this case Walgreens, rule then that is something different. If it is their rule then I think simply saying so would be sufficient. If not just their rule then cite the federal law and/or be able to cite the statute.

I fully understand there is a propensity for some folks to game the system and acquire more, or more frequently, prescription drugs to abuse themselves. Conversely, how far does a municipal or federal entity go to curtail abuse ? Somewhat like a Red Flag Law (?) - if someone is suspected of being capable of doing violence with a gun, either to himself or someone else. Will it come to a point where a concerned neighbor, relative, or public official will be able to invoke a “red flag law” for someone who has prescription pain medication ? Quite frankly as much dialogue as is presently occurring regarding opioid abuse, even to the focus on the manufacturers being culpable, I wouldn’t be surprised to see legislation passed similar to Red Flag Laws as they pertain to gun ownership. Perhaps I’m taking this to an extreme but I believe there is no “extreme” when it come to politicians acting in “our best interests.”

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    This started nationally because of the pill mills esp in West Virginia. I used to be able to get all my 90 day scripts including Tramadol in the mail from the V. A. until this nat'l order from DEA was put in place.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Reminds me of my vision benefits. I have to wait at least 1 year between exams. So If I go on July 1 2019, I cant go back again July 1, 2020. I have to go July 2 or later. Which means my next exam would be July 3 2021, July 4 2022, etc. Stupid.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have this issue with my son's ADHD meds. It's a pain in the ass. Especially since most pharmacies don't stock it. So I get to play a game where I submit the script early, then they tell me they can't fill it, then I ask if they have it in stock, then they say no and it will be 2 weeks to get it in, then insurance tells me the script was bounced, and blah blah blah.

Some pharmacies will order C-II meds without a script, some won't.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had an accident years ago and have back issue, I have been fighting this for years, I take a very low dose so that I can function normally, I don't react well to the drugs so It took me about 3 years to find the exact right dose and drug,

THEN some senators son in the South O.D'd and they traced the drug back to the Seymour, IN area. This senator went after my specific drug, the company folded immediate, I asked my doctor about it and it was a uncommon drug and the company wasn't making much money off of it so they folded instead of fight. but the companies are fighting for the profitable drugs that are much easier to abuse.

If I had it my way they would just catch and release meth shipments with and extra little kick. Problem solves itself in a few weeks.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a hydrocodone prescription for a few months before my spinal surgery, one of those keep me functional things. First time I tried to fill it, I find my insurance will fill only one week a month (!) Now I had to take a whiz quiz to make sure I WAS taking it, so I had to get it. We finally settled on cash, which turned out to be not that much, for the second through fourth weeks until we could get the insurance straightened out.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Here's some more funny stuff. Our school corporation has deemed that anyone on a "team" is subject to a random drug test.

My 12 y/o son (6th grade) is on the robotics "team" and was selected. Since he takes an amphetamine, he failed his test. It could have been a much bigger to-do, but luckily, the VP at the middle school is a pretty fantastic guy and just needed me to text him a picture of the script.

Ah the joys of living in the drug culture. I'd like to go back to the good old days of just having a local apothecary.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I could get tons of the easily abused oxy's but instead chose a quasi schedule drug that doesn't cause euphoria but does dull my pain. I can only get 30 days amount of the fake stuff. I just don't get it.

Top Bottom