Comcast outage last week, other choices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Did any of you have the Comcast outage last week? I can't take it anymore.....they cost me a small fortune($15,000 extra profit)! I am not wanting to eliminate my Comcast but I have to have a back-up option. What are my options for a back-up to Comcast when their service goes down? I have this bad luck of always losing cable or power at the worse times. Seems they always decide to shut down for repairs early mornings thru the week....which is terrible timing for me. If I get business Comcast will they not shut it off during working hours? What are some other options? Thank for any thoughts.....

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    AT&T Verizon just forced me to put in their wireless at my business. We basically won't use it because we have Comcast cable, and it's been real stable for a long time where I'm at, but it might be a good backup. I did have a short period of outage last week, but it didn't hurt me too bad.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    AT&T Verizon just forced me to put in their wireless at my business. We basically won't use it because we have Comcast cable, and it's been real stable for a long time where I'm at, but it might be a good backup. I did have a short period of outage last week, but it didn't hurt me too bad.

With the Verizon wireless how does that work? Do you use your cell phone to get service or is there still a wire to your business? I really want https://join.weendeavor.com/ but they have yet to come into town here, just county. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The Comcast outage we had earlier this week was due to a truck taking out a power pole on 56th street. IIRC Comcast had a issue last week due to similal circumstances. Some times it is just your turn in the barrel.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The Comcast outage we had earlier this week was due to a truck taking out a power pole on 56th street. IIRC Comcast had a issue last week due to similal circumstances. Some times it is just your turn in the barrel.

Yeah, I heard something about it being out in Brownsburg as well. It had entire town of Danville out all day.....10am to 5pm. Like you said, sometimes it's just your turn. If they would have gotten it back on an hour earlier I would have been fine. Live and learn....

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    With the Verizon wireless how does that work? Do you use your cell phone to get service or is there still a wire to your business? I really want https://join.weendeavor.com/ but they have yet to come into town here, just county. I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Verizon wireless goes thru AT&T landlines into my building to a little modem that sends out the wireless signal that you connect to with your various phones, computers, printers, etc ... that have wireless capability. Your phones can have cell signal and wireless access at the same time, depending how you do your settings. I've kept my computer network and internet network totally wired and isolated from any wireless network so far, by design, for security. But the wireless could come in handy if you absolutely have to get something done. How were you connecting to comcast before? That could have been by wireless also, if you had it on your phone, in which case the Verizon wireless would just be a backup source to connect to.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Verizon wireless goes thru AT&T landlines into my building to a little modem that sends out the wireless signal that you connect to with your various phones, computers, printers, etc ... that have wireless capability. Your phones can have cell signal and wireless access at the same time, depending how you do your settings. I've kept my computer network and internet network totally wired and isolated from any wireless network so far, by design, for security. But the wireless could come in handy if you absolutely have to get something done. How were you connecting to comcast before? That could have been by wireless also, if you had it on your phone, in which case the Verizon wireless would just be a backup source to connect to.

Ok, that sounds like how my UVerse wireless use to work, and my Comcast now as well. Just with UVerse I had a phone line into my home to wireless modem and with Comcast it is coax. My main PC is connected to modem/router by hard wire...just for security purposes as well. The other computers in my home run off Comcast wireless. I have thought about maybe a satellite, like Viasat or Hughes but they are salty for a back-up...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last couple of Comcast outages we have had (wind/trees) I have used my AT&T cell phone as a hotspot. Speed is slower than cable and data gets sucked up quick, but it works.

If I was cash dependent on being connected, I would certainly look at keeping one or two cellular data hotspot devices from the various companies in your area. If you are talking thousands of dollars of losses, it seems as though these should be a cost of doing business write off?

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Last couple of Comcast outages we have had (wind/trees) I have used my AT&T cell phone as a hotspot. Speed is slower than cable and data gets sucked up quick, but it works.

If I was cash dependent on being connected, I would certainly look at keeping one or two cellular data hotspot devices from the various companies in your area. If you are talking thousands of dollars of losses, it seems as though these should be a cost of doing business write off?

In a perfect world you could probably write it off, but in my case...I can't. I was able to log in on my cell phone, but the problem is I missed a news drop at 4pm that sent my stock from $7 a share to $29 a share. I had sell orders set, but since I was on my cell phone and didn't get the news drop I missed moving my sell orders up. My stock sold at $18 on the way to $29. The next time something like this happens I will immediately go on my cell phone and cancel all pending orders. It is really hard to go from a desktop set-up to a cell phone platform, just because you can't see enough on the cell phone.

The funny thing is that morning I had another stock go up 50-60%...I was able to sell it early am and locked in gain. I am fortunate in some ways it didn't go out earlier....I would have been really sick.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Century link also had an outage, nation wide. I think it a test on shutting down the internet. Too many interruptions to explain.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    My Comcast issue last week only lasted about an hour or so. Plenty of time to screw up a stock deal, I get that, but generally, Comcast has been pretty dependable for us in NWI for a couple decades now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For that much, you should just get a cellular backup. Either a hotspot that you can switch to or a true home cellular connection. Any other land line based ISP will be subject to the same problems you have now. That said, a fiber based landline is massively superior to any copper based services. You just have to see if it is available in your area.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Century link also had an outage, nation wide. I think it a test on shutting down the internet. Too many interruptions to explain.

CenturyLink/Level 3/Time Warner was down for my ISP where I run my hosting business for 36 hours on New Years day.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How good is your cell signal there? You could always use your smart phone as a hotspot and use cellular data short term. I've done that before.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Get the tinfoil out...

it was probabaly the Indiana government starting to test out the internet / social media disruption plans. Like Virginia, but probably assigned to FEMA.

Top Bottom