Not open for further replies.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    New Year, New thread

I finally got around to trying out my Christmas present to myself. It is a food pan carrier, basically a Cambro knockoff. I have to say I was very impressed with it for the price I paid. Mine holds 6 full size 2.5 inch deep steam table pans. It is heavy, and if it is full of food it will take 2 people to move it.
    https://www.equippers.com/bradford-hall-gray-insulated-front-loading-food-carrier/jd-upc06.asp

I used it to transport 2 full pans of my cheesy hashbrown casserole to a Christmas party for our local Team RWB chapter. I pulled them out off the oven and loaded into the carrier, then onto the back of my truck in roughly 30 degree weather for a 30 minute drive. They then sat in the carrier inside the building for 2.5 hours while we grilled pork chops, drank a few beers, and waited for the others to arrive. Once everyone arrived and all the other food was ready, about 3 hours after pulling the pans out of my oven at home, I opened up the carrier and still could not touch the pans. It was like they were just out of the oven.

I know they aren't for everyone and people say that a cooler will do the same thing, which I'm sure it will, but being able to stack 6 pans and get to the bottom one without removing the others is handy if you cook a lot like me. This thing is built like a tank, which is great because come BBQ comp season it will get used and abused.

Other than that I have started off the new year with several cooks, buts, wings, a tri tip. Sadly no pictures though.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Just bought one of these bad boys today. Since I live about 10 minutes from them, I was able to go to the showroom and talk with the owner about the company and their products. I already had done a fair bit of research, but talking with Matt (owner) at Grilla Grills really solidified why I chose them.

I was already planning on dropping the $800 for the Kong grill, but Matt told me they had a couple "scratch and dent" models that were just cosmetic flaws that he didn't want to sell as new product because it didn't meet his quality standards. (again, just a top notch company). I picked one of the scratch and dent models out, and noticed there was a small chip in the porcelain inside the grill. Matt knocked $200 off for the cosmetic flaw. That's right boys and girls, I got it for $599.

To top it all off, Matt offered to throw it in his pickup and deliver to my house after work since I didn't think it would fit in my wife's SUV. No charge.

Seriously... you all need to check out Grilla Grills. Some seriously good grills at a great price. You won't find similar grills anywhere near their prices.
    https://grillagrills.com/

* Not my picture. It was too dark by the time I had it all set up. Had to steal this one off the web.

CNB34DW.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Never done a pot roast on the grill before, so I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out amazing! Roast was on at 300 degrees for 4 hours. I threw in a pan of green beans, onions, and taters for the last hour and a half.

cvYkoQL.jpg

hONRLQ1.jpg

buoAUZ1.jpg

WnawrLK.jpg

ffEZtO8.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just bought one of these bad boys today. Since I live about 10 minutes from them, I was able to go to the showroom and talk with the owner about the company and their products. I already had done a fair bit of research, but talking with Matt (owner) at Grilla Grills really solidified why I chose them.

I was already planning on dropping the $800 for the Kong grill, but Matt told me they had a couple "scratch and dent" models that were just cosmetic flaws that he didn't want to sell as new product because it didn't meet his quality standards. (again, just a top notch company). I picked one of the scratch and dent models out, and noticed there was a small chip in the porcelain inside the grill. Matt knocked $200 off for the cosmetic flaw. That's right boys and girls, I got it for $599.

To top it all off, Matt offered to throw it in his pickup and deliver to my house after work since I didn't think it would fit in my wife's SUV. No charge.

Seriously... you all need to check out Grilla Grills. Some seriously good grills at a great price. You won't find similar grills anywhere near their prices.
    https://grillagrills.com/

* Not my picture. It was too dark by the time I had it all set up. Had to steal this one off the web.

My in-laws live in Holland. If I remember, the next time I go, I might stop by the plant.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Im really digging this new grill. Did a 10lb pork butt today. Put my rub on it last night and got up this morning at 5:00 am to get it going. Grill was ready for the pork butt to go on at 6:00 am. Did an 8 hour cook, taking it off just before 2:00 pm. The butt held around 150 degrees for hours. Once it got to 165, I wrapped it in foil and put it back on for another 2.5 hours. Pulled it off at 205 degrees, and tented it for 30 minutes. Once I opened it up, the bone just slid right out. Threw some Sweet Baby Ray's on it, and topped it off with some homemade coleslaw. Simply amazing. And I only peeked at it once. That was the hardest part.

Couple observations:

1. I used around 5 lb of lump charcoal right off the bat since I didn't want to keep opening the lid to add more. Turns out that was way too much for an 8 hour cook. There was at least half left unburned when I pulled it off the coals. This grill seems to be super efficient.

2. I need to invest in a good temperature controller. This grill holds temps really well, but I had to babysit it as it wanted to keep creeping up towards 300 degrees. Spent most of the cook with the dampers closed just to keep the temps down. I don't think I can afford a FlameBoss just yet, so will be doing some research on this one.

3. This grill has turned my hobby into an obsession. It's really amazing what a difference good equipment can make.

xyngziO.jpg

gaBAehy.jpg

vS1NQjF.jpg

Jcbnpvm.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Im really digging this new grill. Did a 10lb pork butt today. Put my rub on it last night and got up this morning at 5:00 am to get it going. Grill was ready for the pork butt to go on at 6:00 am. Did an 8 hour cook, taking it off just before 2:00 pm. The butt held around 150 degrees for hours. Once it got to 165, I wrapped it in foil and put it back on for another 2.5 hours. Pulled it off at 205 degrees, and tented it for 30 minutes. Once I opened it up, the bone just slid right out. Threw some Sweet Baby Ray's on it, and topped it off with some homemade coleslaw. Simply amazing. And I only peeked at it once. That was the hardest part.

Couple observations:

1. I used around 5 lb of lump charcoal right off the bat since I didn't want to keep opening the lid to add more. Turns out that was way too much for an 8 hour cook. There was at least half left unburned when I pulled it off the coals. This grill seems to be super efficient.

2. I need to invest in a good temperature controller. This grill holds temps really well, but I had to babysit it as it wanted to keep creeping up towards 300 degrees. Spent most of the cook with the dampers closed just to keep the temps down. I don't think I can afford a FlameBoss just yet, so will be doing some research on this one.

3. This grill has turned my hobby into an obsession. It's really amazing what a difference good equipment can make.

xyngziO.jpg

gaBAehy.jpg

vS1NQjF.jpg

Jcbnpvm.jpg

Looks pretty tasty. Having the right tools certainly makes bbq easier and more enjoyable. I'm rather spoiled with my pellet grill now and my propane smokers. Did 6 butts this weekend on my biggest smoker for a birthday party, and only I went out side to add wood chips twice and then pull the butts off.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My in-laws live in Holland. If I remember, the next time I go, I might stop by the plant.

I was a little disappointed they are made in China, but I get it. They needed to find a way to be competitive. I'll check them out this summer when I go up to Holland.

I have been planning on buying a new grill when I replace my deck but was looking more at a flattop. I may have to reconsider.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’ve only been home four days since Jan 2 and haven’t done any cooking but I did have something for the first time last night and wanted to share.

Hickory Smoked Peanuts.

Life changing

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve only been home four days since Jan 2 and haven’t done any cooking but I did have something for the first time last night and wanted to share.

Hickory Smoked Peanuts.

Life changing
    Big fan of smoked almonds, but I’ve never heard of smoked peanuts. Hopefully better than boiled peanuts though?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Wings turned out great. Had a few on the bottom rack that got overdone, so I made some Buffalo sauce and tossed them in there. Otherwise they were a big hit with the fam. Also made some "Buffalo Chips" to go along with the wings.

GkkvoV6.jpg

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Awesome! I am glad to see the grill threads are still going. I started it because I was excited about a new grill I bought, never thinking it would catch on. Now I need to go smoke some meat!
    :rockwoot:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Good looking bark on that butt. Mine has a more pronounced smoke ring but I tend to like that anyhoo. I use apple wood from an old tree that got scattered from a lightning storm we had a couple years back. I rotate my ricks regularly. I also have pear wood I'd like to try.
    That Grilla Grill looks amazing. I think I need a scratch and dent model too! I don't have a thermostat in mine just go check it every few. I even got a ceramic pizza plate that came with mine tho I haven't used it yet.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We managed to pick up a couple of butts and a brisket yesterday. The butts are going probably friday a.m. and the brisket the following friday. We've never done a brisket so I'm a little nervous given how much we paid for the damn thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom