• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thieves break in, trash independent east side grocery store

I feel sorry for the store owner. I do NOT feel sorry for the people complaining that their area is a "food desert" that do nothing to change the culture in their own neighborhood. I'm sure Michelle Obama would blame this on "white flight". :rolleyes:

https://www.wthr.com/article/thieves-break-trash-independent-east-side-grocery-store

Don't talk to me about "food deserts". What you have is a morality desert. You know who is doing this. Stop using "snitches get stitches" as an excuse, and "my baby is a good boy" to defend the lawlessness and FIGHT BACK.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Food desert...in Indy? I don't even acknowledge the concept. I grew up living 7 miles from the nearest store.

Presumably you had transportation and didn't have to walk or rely on public transportation to get there. The problem is, no potential store owner wants to open a business in these neighborhoods only to see them broken into or pillaged on a day to day basis by people that have no sense of right and wrong. As always, it's the good people that play by the rules that suffer. It's a self-perpetuating problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The same thing happens with Section 8 housing. People that just don't care move in, trash the place, leaving the financial burden on the property owner and move on to the next place, that they trash, move on again, ad nauseum.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Presumably you had transportation and didn't have to walk or rely on public transportation to get there. The problem is, no potential store owner wants to open a business in these neighborhoods only to see them broken into or pillaged on a day to day basis by people that have no sense of right and wrong. As always, it's the good people that play by the rules that suffer. It's a self-perpetuating problem.

I know what a food desert is, but walking and public transit are forms of transportation.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    That part of town, 38th and Post, has been hit hard. Closing of big employers, like Western Electric and the Ford steering gear plant, put the hurt on years ago, and the closing of Fort Harrison in 1995 was pretty much the beginning of the end, to go with overused terms.

Just before Christmas Mrs. MarkC and I went to an event at the Cumberland Baptist Church; not having been out that way, I was taken aback at how every inch of Washington Street between I-465 and the county line was now surrounded by mostly low-quality retail. The east side is certainly not the same place as when I grew up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know what a food desert is, but walking and public transit are forms of transportation.

Yes they are. My point is, if the criminal element weren't destroying businesses and property, they could have grocery stores within easy walking distance or a short commute by public transportation. The ones doing the stealing, damaging the property, etc., aren't walking or taking public transportation. They're riding around in their luxury vehicles with 20" rims, financed by their ill-gotten gains, while the honest folk are scraping by.

I don't normally advocate for vigilantism but I think that's the only thing that's going to "clean up" these areas unless and until people are willing to go to the police and out the ones they know are doing this crap. Maybe the 10 point coalition should start carrying weapons and instead of "talking" to the "troubled youth", they should make it clear that they are not welcome in these neighborhoods, by force if necessary.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That part of town, 38th and Post, has been hit hard. Closing of big employers, like Western Electric and the Ford steering gear plant, put the hurt on years ago, and the closing of Fort Harrison in 1995 was pretty much the beginning of the end, to go with overused terms.

Just before Christmas Mrs. MarkC and I went to an event at the Cumberland Baptist Church; not having been out that way, I was taken aback at how every inch of Washington Street between I-465 and the county line was now surrounded by mostly low-quality retail. The east side is certainly not the same place as when I grew up.

The criminals that are looting grocery stores NEVER worked for Western Electric, Ford or Ft. Harrison, I will guarantee it. And Ft. Harrison isn't "closed". I work there. Like I said, it's a self-perpetuating problem. Crappy people move in, start robbing businesses, businesses move out, reducing what employment opportunities were there, and so on.

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The criminals that are looting grocery stores NEVER worked for Western Electric, Ford or Ft. Harrison, I will guarantee it. And Ft. Harrison isn't "closed". I work there. Like I said, it's a self-perpetuating problem. Crappy people move in, start robbing businesses, business move out, reducing what employment opportunities were there, and so on.

To clarify; I agree that the criminals who currently are ravaging the east side NEVER worked for any of those long-gone businesses; I was just pointing out the economic decline that accompanied the loss of good-paying, high-quality jobs on the east side.

As for Fort Harrison: by "closing," I mean the departure of the active duty military installation as a result of BRAC in 1995. I don't disagree that the physical plant of Fort Harrison is still there, as well as remnants of the military presence, include the Finance Center and a fairly nice PX and Commissary, along with a significant reserve components presence. However, the truth is the large community of stable, well-behaved service members is long gone, and the people who have moved there are certainly not of anywhere near the same caliber.

Additionally, the area of 38th Street has been questionable for a long time, even before all the closures and the loss of positive economic businesses. John Marshall High School and the nearby Amber Woods apartments (I forget what they used to be called) were always more questionable than the nearby neighborhoods and community.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Food desert...in Indy? I don't even acknowledge the concept. I grew up living 7 miles from the nearest store.

In indy many inner city folks have to walk to the store. We have some older neighbors that do the same as they can not drive or do not own a car any more. Fixed income.
    We see them walking and always pick them up if we can.

I have some scary story's about what goes on around these little area stores. Refrigeration/Ac tech and I took care of many of them over the years.

People can suck. And far to many do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To clarify; I agree that the criminals who currently are ravaging the east side NEVER worked for any of those long-gone businesses; I was just pointing out the economic decline that accompanied the loss of good-paying, high-quality jobs on the east side.

As for Fort Harrison: by "closing," I mean the departure of the active duty military installation as a result of BRAC in 1995. I don't disagree that the physical plant of Fort Harrison is still there, as well as remnants of the military presence, include the Finance Center and a fairly nice PX and Commissary, along with a significant reserve components presence. However, the truth is the large community of stable, well-behaved service members is long gone, and the people who have moved there are certainly not of anywhere near the same caliber.

Additionally, the area of 38th Street has been questionable for a long time, even before all the closures and the loss of positive economic businesses. John Marshall High School and the nearby Amber Woods apartments (I forget what they used to be called) were always more questionable than the nearby neighborhoods and community.
    Yes indeed. I used to live at 42nd and Post back in the mid-80's and remember coming home from work one night to find my apartment complex blocked off by police tape because one of the security guards had been stabbed to death in the parking lot. Had to park in a nearby neighborhood and walk in to get to my apartment. Before that, I lived near 46th and Shadeland and it was no better.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    When the Marsh in Beech Grove closed, any elderly resident who would walk from the surrounding neighborhoods was now out of luck... hoofing it to Walmart south of 465 just wasn't going to happen...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The criminals that are looting grocery stores NEVER worked for Western Electric, Ford or Ft. Harrison, I will guarantee it. And Ft. Harrison isn't "closed". I work there. Like I said, it's a self-perpetuating problem. Crappy people move in, start robbing businesses, businesses move out, reducing what employment opportunities were there, and so on.

There is far to much truth here. To be honest we all know what is going on. One need only look at the 38th street corridor from Laff. road west. Once a thriving area it has fallen on hard times.
    With the influx of the Hispanics they have for the most part put a little life back into the area. They work. Spend money. 2 very important ingredients for any area.

There is (or was) a Village pantry in the 4500-ish block of shadeland. That area is a freaking war zone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That’s a shame. Maybe another program, regulation, or unfounded mandate would solve the underlying issue. :roll eyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is far to much truth here. To be honest we all know what is going on. One need only look at the 38th street corridor from Laff. road west. Once a thriving area it has fallen on hard times.
    With the influx of the Hispanics they have for the most part put a little life back into the area. They work. Spend money. 2 very important ingredients for any area.

There is (or was) a Village pantry in the 4500-ish block of shadeland. That area is a freaking war zone.

You probably know where Devington Plaza is/was then... 46th and Arlington (I think?). I worked for Fayva shoes as an assistant manager there. This was probably around 1980 or so. I was the only white person I would see all day. :): The girls that worked for me thought I was just crazy, but I always kept them laughing, and they would work hard for me when I needed them to. It was always dead, so I would entertain myself.

For some reason we had a box of balloons - the long ones. I would make "fins" to put on one end, and tape a thumbtack to the other end making a balloon "rocket/dart". Then I'd blow up some more balloons and have the girls throw them up in the air so I could try and shoot them down. Ah, the joys of youth. :):

P.S. I drove a POS car back then (being 20 and working at a shoe store). So I found myself walking to and from work in that neighborhood a lot, but I was either naive, or brave and foolish. Never had any problems. I do remember seeing syringes along the side of the road along 46th though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You probably know where Devington Plaza is/was then... 46th and Arlington (I think?). I worked for Fayva shoes as an assistant manager there. This was probably around 1980 or so. I was the only white person I would see all day. :): The girls that worked for me thought I was just crazy, but I always kept them laughing, and they would work hard for me when I needed them to. It was always dead, so I would entertain myself.

For some reason we had a box of balloons - the long ones. I would make "fins" to put on one end, and tape a thumbtack to the other end making a balloon "rocket/dart". Then I'd blow up some more balloons and have the girls throw them up in the air so I could try and shoot them down. Ah, the joys of youth. :):

At the risk of being called out as a racist when I was working the little stop and go VP's and 7/11's in the areas we are discussing the managers called me "OREO" and we always laughed. I knew who the crap bags were and who the decent folks were. Rolling into the ally behind the store in the swamp (30th/Sherman was always a treat. Gambling drugs sex or a combo of the 3 with out fail.

I love discussing this with folks that do not live in the city. They just look as if I am telling tall tails.
    Truth is I was the only tech that would run the after dark calls on any of those stores.
    There have ben a few times it was just left of scary.

But in truth any WalMart at midnight can be just as bad.

Top Bottom