Indy Loses Query And Schultz Sports Talk To Coporate Greed...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Indy Loses Query And Schultz Sports Talk To Coporate Malfeasance...

Indy rallying to bring back 'Query & Schultz' sports radio show; it could happen

The fired co-hosts of "Query & Schultz" are feeling a rush of support from the city where they took to the afternoon airwaves for nearly nine years to talk sports.

Beyond trending locally on Twitter on Tuesday night, just hours after iHeartMedia canceled their WNDE 1260-AM show, Jake Query and Derek Schultz received thousands of messages. Those condolences and well wishes came from everyone from the show's listeners and media industry leaders to pro athletes and competitors.

On Thursday, a petition was launched on Change.org, pleading with iHeartMedia to bring back Query and Schultz. As of 6 p.m. Thursday, nearly 600 people had signed, with signatures continuing to be added.

These guys love Indianapolis, they love sports, they support Indianapolis sports. They have a very diverse quest list, often bringing back not just heroes but role players of the past too. I you love Indy and want to support local please use the link above to join the petition to get them back. This tactic worked in another market, so we're not just tilting at windmills...

FYI, they are being replaced by a boring national guy that talks in monotone in a cost cutting effort the Wall Street did not like...

Thank you for your support!

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...k-query-schultz-sports-radio-show/4493534002/

WNDE?s Query & Schultz cancelled as radio becomes a little less special in Indianapolis | KentSterling.com

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I heard about it right after it happened and sent a message to Jake who my wife and I got to meet waiting for a plane to Phoenix. We talked racing for quite a while. I hate seeing good guys get the shaft like this. Radio nowadays sucks balls.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've never heard of them. I gave up on radio as a format years ago; too many ads. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts instead, and I'm happy to have made the change.

If their show got cut, it's become they weren't attractive enough to advertisers. A petition isn't going to change the underlying cause.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can't stand sports talk radio. When Rush was on WIBC I'd have to hear ads for them and frankly all the sports-radio ads annoyed me. Guess I'mma old and grumpy.

That said, local programming for sports is probably better than generic national. I wish them well. I recommend FB live
    or YouTube self-published show

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Still trying to find the greed...

This.

I listened to Q&S pretty much every afternoon. I enjoyed the show and both hosts and am ticked they were let go, but it's a tough business.

I worked in local TV and radio for a decade and everyone understands that losing your job without warning is a reality of the business. I was let go from the same company back when it was still called Clear Channel in the mid 2000s.

It was a running theme on Query & Schultz that they were going to be fired from their little "dog and pony show" any day.

Yeah, it sucks because they were different than most sports talk formats, but the parent company has to make a profit and answer to shareholders. If the current business isn't profitable then changes are needed. Not greed, just reality.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    iHeart is in the hole many millions of dollars.

I ask - is it "corporate greed" to want to NOT be in debt by millions of dollars?

It sucks. I really enjoyed their show. I listened every afternoon I could for many of those 8 years. Hell, I'd even text Jake randomly while they were on air. Had several of them read. (I guess you could say I'm a big deal).

That said, I haven't listened to much radio at all since about April of this year. New car came with a BlueTooth compatible radio. It's been just about all podcasts since then.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Welcome to the 21st century. If they are any good they can go podcast as many have had to go. Get with the times or get left behind. I also gave up radio a while back.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I haven’t listened to radio for years. Back when it was the only game in town, it was great. When other options became available, radio didn’t up its game to meet the challenge, it just sold more ad space to used car lots and slid further down the tubes. If the sports guys are popular, and it seems they are, there’s other options for them.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Corporate greed? Then you are apparently completely in the dark as to the financial status of i<3 ? They recently emerged from bankruptcy, if that gives you a clue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think the corporate greed angle comes from the fact that their HQ is apparently quite lavish, and not a single cut this time around came from HQ. It was all producers and on air staff. (from a FB Friend who is well entrenched in the industry, verified by skimming a list of fired folks)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    WHAS radio in Louisville lost one of their sports guys who had been on air for 40+ years, Paul Rogers. He has other projects, he’s voice of the UoL basketball team, but damn, that’s gotta sting.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can't stand sports talk radio. When Rush was on WIBC I'd have to hear ads for them and frankly all the sports-radio ads annoyed me. Guess I'mma old and grumpy.

That said, local programming for sports is probably better than generic national. I wish them well. I recommend FB live
    or YouTube self-published show

Our local station 1350 AM dropped Rush and the rest of the regular talk format and went to 24/7 espn sports several (5?) years ago. I removed it from my preset list and haven’t been back since.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You guys are correct to call out my thread title, it was late and not what I meant to convey. It has been charged from greed to malfeasance which is an apt description of what is taking place. The license holder has an obligation to provide content for the local market. They were simulcasting on FM but decided to make the FM top 40, as if we needed another one of those.

Not everyone is set up to listen to podcasts and there are thousands of Indy people that did make use of the show. My phone is my business, it is running the mapping, business communications, etc. it is pretty busy and am not adding listening to content to that. It is just nice when I want to listen to turn a knob and like magic I have a great local sports talk show, likely with guests that will not appear on a small podcast.

As was stated in one of the articles, iHeart is a company that owns over 800 stations being run by executives that are not qualified to run a single station. Apparently the people with money that are smarter than iHeart, because they have money, didn't think this move was profitable, the stock barely moved.

My hope here was just to ask for some support for local guys, if you read the articles you would know that an outpouring of support got some local talent back on in another city.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I haven’t listened to radio for years. Back when it was the only game in town, it was great. When other options became available, radio didn’t up its game to meet the challenge, it just sold more ad space to used car lots and slid further down the tubes. If the sports guys are popular, and it seems they are, there’s other options for them.

I don’t listen to radio anymore either...at least not live radio. If the broadcaster isn’t offering podcasts later on of their programs, I’m probably just not going to hear it.

Top Bottom